January defenders

Still to this day do not know why we didn't sign Alderweireld in the summer for his buy out clause.

He's all but certain to leave on a free in the summer, so I would be selling Leroy (who I've resigned to us losing) to free up a foreign space and testing Levy's resolve with a £10-15m bid. It's better for them than losing him on a free. Younger than Otamendi and considerably better.

Then flog Otamendi in the summer (or even better, in the winter if someone is stupid enough to buy him) and use his foreign space for another forward if we really feel we need one, which I personally don't think we do and makes this squad unbalanced in terms of keeping our forwards happy.

Give Otamendi's squad spot to Garcia. Laporte, Alderweireld, Stones, Fernandinho and Garcia as our CBs for next season. Laporte and Alderweireld is arguably the strongest pair in the league.

Fernandinho will be phased out at the end of next season I feel, giving a pathway for Garcia to become more of a regular and then a couple of years down the line we can do the same with Alderweireld, making way for Harwood-Bellis.

Instead I can see us faffing around trying to sign Soyuncu, only to be shocked when Leicester ask for £70m for him and if we do succeed in getting a younger CB like him, we've just blocked the pathway of one of our two most talented academy players.

Last edited:
Jonathan tah? big powerful defender looks ok with ball at his feet
Don't think he'd cost the earth either. Physically he's absolutely what we need and is apparently rapid. Captains the u21 team as well. Him next to Laporte could be deadly, and wouldn't come with the pressure of a big-name signing.

Can you imagine if we got Koulibaly for £90mil+ and he tore his ACL/had a bad run of games. We saw what that did to Mangala.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.