Ali Benarbia's debut.

• Thread starter Ballet-on-ice
  • Start date
I don't remember a player called "Bernarbia", mentioned in the thread title.

We did, however, have a player called "Benarbia", who was pretty good, and was always referred to by the guy sitting next to me as "the genius".

Are you thinking of him perhaps?

Fuck off pedant!

I was at the match, can't remember who we played. At the time we had an academy lad called Chris Shuker who had made a few appearances. I thought it was him on the pitch and thought 'wow, this kid is shit hot'. I turned round to some old boy sat next to me (I was in the maine stand) and he told me it was some Algerian lad Keegan had signed.

What a debut! Everytime he got the ball he did something exciting, skillful or mesmerising with it. I remember the whole stadium standing up whenever he got the ball. You could feel the excitement in the ground for this second coming of Kinkladze.

Leaving the ground after the match all you could hear around you were conversations about how brilliant our little new signing was.

It truly was the best ever debut by a city player I had ever seen.
Birmingham and a early kick off if my memory serves me, some debut it was to, class player.

I realise its ridiculous to say out loud considering some of the stuff we've seen in the last decade, but I think I enjoyed that season as a whole more than any other in my lifetime.

I'm with you completely on that one. I think it was just the relief of not being crap for once. I think our first game that season was home to Norwich and the football we played was like nothing I'd seen before ( I only started going around 93 to 94) so it was a pleasant surprise to see fast, flowing, attacking, positive football.

Although we were punished after Keegan by being subjected to the football that Pearce brought us.

What was the date of it
I remember it was the first match after September 11. That was a Tuesday, so it would have been the 15th.
Birmingham manager said afterwards he wished Keegan had waited another week to sign him.

I realise its ridiculous to say out loud considering some of the stuff we've seen in the last decade, but I think I enjoyed that season as a whole more than any other in my lifetime.

Totally agree, with the arrival of Bernarbia came great attacking football and a lifting of the gloom.

Such a pity that he arrived with us at the end of his career .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.