Thomas Cook

more job losses at the airport, company called Aviator is closing on the 22nd,(handled the tommy cook contract )and that will mean lots of people out of work, hopefully a lot will be absorbed back into the airport but not all of them will be needed sadly .
Do you know this for a fact, I have not seen it in the news anywhere. I think my niece may work for them.

Will we now have Hays Travel flying us lot around Europe now ?

Listening to the interviews today it seems like it could be good news for the staff - Hays do it differently to Cook's in that you go in the shop they discuss holidays with you then scour the net to set up the package - sort of doing the job for the internet lazy or dumb I suppose. They reckon its good business and increasing because when they do it for you there are the ATOL and ABTA safeguards which almost perversely has meant that the collapses in the industry have been good to Hays - I suppose if you can survive those that die around you then you can pick up the business from those who still want a holiday? Will also help they don't have the debt and management costs weighing them down.

Listening to the interviews today it seems like it could be good news for the staff - Hays do it differently to Cook's in that you go in the shop they discuss holidays with you then scour the net to set up the package - sort of doing the job for the internet lazy or dumb I suppose. They reckon its good business and increasing because when they do it for you there are the ATOL and ABTA safeguards which almost perversely has meant that the collapses in the industry have been good to Hays - I suppose if you can survive those that die around you then you can pick up the business from those who still want a holiday? Will also help they don't have the debt and management costs weighing them down.
There's no way that's a sustainable model. The market that will even consider going to a physical travel agent is shrinking every single day. Good news short term for the staff but they'd do well to keep their options open for the longer term.

There's no way that's a sustainable model. The market that will even consider going to a physical travel agent is shrinking every single day. Good news short term for the staff but they'd do well to keep their options open for the longer term.

I'd agree that seems rational but the Hays experience says no..... people are risk averse and perhaps like the "safety net" of ATOL and ABTA that a travel agency provides?

I'd agree that seems rational but the Hays experience says no..... people are risk averse and perhaps like the "safety net" of ATOL and ABTA that a travel agency provides?
Yeah I can see that part, but they could still offer that reassurance via online packages. I dont doubt there's still a very viable market for a decent travel agent putting packages together. It's the need for 550 physical stores I don't understand. I suspect that number will reduce drastically over the next 12-24 months.

I don't understand the Hays story so someone please help me out. The news say they have bought Thomas Cooks shops but these of course were actually rented from landlords so what have they actually bought ?
Also will they trade as TC or Hays ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.