Former Chairman Eric Alexander passes away

If there's a story that needs to be written about City it is the Swales story, good & bad.

Agreed but it has to be researched quickly as a lot of the ex players etcetera, like Tony Book, are in their eighties and ailing health. I saw Bernard Halfords widow being interviewed on Sunday at half time, now there is a man who should have written a book.

Agreed but it has to be researched quickly as a lot of the ex players etcetera, like Tony Book, are in their eighties and ailing health. I saw Bernard Halfords widow being interviewed on Sunday at half time, now there is a man who should have written a book.
It was during Eric's time as chairman that Bernard was given the job as secretary (he was Oldham's secretary for several years before City). I've interviewed Eric, Bernard, Swales (last ever recorded interview) and many, many others from that period. I once tried to sell the idea of a book on the Swales years to a publisher - it was rejected as they felt it ended negatively "who wants to read about a club that goes from success to failure?" They missed the point but most of the groundwork was done. The problem is finding a publisher. I still can't get my Manchester City Women: An Oral History book in many shops so getting a book on Swales on sale would be difficult.

It was during Eric's time as chairman that Bernard was given the job as secretary (he was Oldham's secretary for several years before City). I've interviewed Eric, Bernard, Swales (last ever recorded interview) and many, many others from that period. I once tried to sell the idea of a book on the Swales years to a publisher - it was rejected as they felt it ended negatively "who wants to read about a club that goes from success to failure?" They missed the point but most of the groundwork was done. The problem is finding a publisher. I still can't get my Manchester City Women: An Oral History book in many shops so getting a book on Swales on sale would be difficult.

Thanks for the information. They may change their minds now given we have turned it around to success again? I have two letters from Swales written in his own handwriting from the eighties when he replied to some of my concerns. I only met him once, in Altrincham, just before his death. I said hello and wanted to speak some more but he cut a haunted wary figure so I desisted. Tony Book as an ex player and manager must have some interesting stories.

Me and Rascal went to school in Cheadle with his sons , Hamish and Angus.
They grew up in a lovely house at the top of Styal Road in Heald Green.
Hamish lives in the Far East and tells me his brother lives in a mansion on the Isle of Man.

Both very successful guys , top blues and most importantly great , grounded lads .

RIP Eric.

Bernard had some secrets , all those turnstile counters turned off and bag fulls of cash put into Mr Swales Jag on a Saturday night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.