Another Champions league revamp...?

So? It's a competition to find the champions of Europe, it has a league stage.

Again you parrot out the little phrase "money making sham" without thinking that oh, actually, it makes money because people enjoy watching it.

The competition includes the champions of :

England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Ukraine, the Netherlands, Belgium, Israel, Romania, Croatia, Czech Republic, Wales, Norway, Denmark, Malta, Hungary, Ireland, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Georgia, Scotland, Montenegro, Cyprus, Sweden, Serbia, Finland, Slovenia and Estonia.

Which Champions do you feel got left out?
Belarus, Northern Ireland and Iceland.

And if there isn't a pointless answer there then I give up.

What everyone should want is to see the best sides in europe competing against each other. The best players against each other, high quality games.

Not Qarabag vs Maccabi tel Aviv battling it out to see who gets fucked by Juventus in the next round.
I don't reckon many people would have been interested in watching City beat Schalke 7-0 for the right to face Tottenham last season.

I think a lot of posters on here are talking about having a fair competition rather than simply money making. You're pointing out that 40 countries are represented by their champions but they have to play 3 rounds to get to the same stage as our 2nd and 3rd placed teams and our 4th place has just one round to negotiate.

The odds are deliberately stacked against the smaller countries and they'll never grow unless given equal opportunity. The riches of any given country shouldn't matter because UEFA should divide the money up by achievement. An English team doing well should possibly be rewarded with extra places but they should qualify and champions should enter later than 4th placed teams.

I don't reckon many people would have been interested in watching City beat Schalke 7-0 for the right to face Tottenham last season.

I think a lot of posters on here are talking about having a fair competition rather than simply money making. You're pointing out that 40 countries are represented by their champions but they have to play 3 rounds to get to the same stage as our 2nd and 3rd placed teams and our 4th place has just one round to negotiate.

The odds are deliberately stacked against the smaller countries and they'll never grow unless given equal opportunity. The riches of any given country shouldn't matter because UEFA should divide the money up by achievement. An English team doing well should possibly be rewarded with extra places but they should qualify and champions should enter later than 4th placed teams.

European football is not an even playing field. You can't have a fair competition between super heavyweights and flyweights. The worst side in the Premier League will probably make more money this year with no CL than 20 of the poorest CL sides, it's just the way the world is.

So if you want to make a competition featuring the best sides in Europe, you have to have some sort of filtering process, just like the world cup does.

People want all the champions in there, so you can't cut them out despite some being conference quality and worse. You can't have 10 team groups because people already dislike the groups and it'd make it too long.

Having a play off system where every country's champion gets a chance is the fairest way, and the champions from the 20th ranked league in Europe are only ever 3 rounds from the groups and the incredible monetary windfall. The champions of Gibraltar are only 5 fixtures away.

I don't think the current format is perfect, I've said already I'd go for 6 groups of 5 and either have there be a play off between the 3rd placed sides to reach the last 16 or a best loser system. That way you'd get much tougher groups where big teams, contenders, could genuinely get KO'd like rugby has in the Champions Cup/Heineken Cup.

However, the current system does address the main points people want from an international competition. 1) Are the best teams in Europe playing each other? and 2) Are the champions of domestic leagues in it?

The odds are deliberately stacked against the smaller countries and they'll never grow unless given equal opportunity. The riches of any given country shouldn't matter because UEFA should divide the money up by achievement.

The opposite of this is true. Smaller countries' champions get protected from the bigger countries until the group stage - it's why teams like Zagreb, Red Star and Slavia Prague qualify instead of Porto, Basekeshir, PSV Eindhoven. Those big teams from bigger countries are definitely better, but UEFA ringfences places for small champions, guaranteeing them a shit ton of money.

It was even more true a few years ago before the protected 4th spots came in - but that's what this thread is about, UEFA is getting rid of that.

So now you'll have the countries of small countries playing off against each other to get the Champions route places in the group stages, while the likes of 4th place in England, Italy, Spain, Germany and 3rd place in France and Portugal, all play off amongst themselves for non-champions spots.

Last edited:
Pretty simple really, 'Champions League' for the....er….Champions. Should NEVER have been allowed to use a name for a Competition that makes absolutely no sense and I'm sure could be challenged under the trade description act

Here’s what I’d do to find the ‘best team in Europe’ -

Use only the top 8 leagues

I’d wait until the season had ended and the champion of each of those leagues had been crowned.

Then have a draw which produces 4 match ups from those 8 teams.

They play and 4 teams are left.

They play and 2 are left.

Play the final.

All games are 1 legged at a neutral venue. None of this 2 legged away goals bollocks.

The winner of the ‘best team in europe’ is the winner of that final.

So if you want to make a competition featuring the best sides in Europe, you have to have some sort of filtering process, just like the world cup does.

I agree with the principle but FIFA keep increasing the number of teams in the WC to the extent that in the early stages there will be increasingly uncompetitive sides making up the numbers... like Scotland!

Ok, so you want no international competition at all, because it's pointless.

And I suppose we should also get rid of the FA Cup and League Cup, and Euros and World cup, as cups are useless competitions which don't tell you anything.

Got it. Football will be so much better under your supervision, clearly.

When did I say I wanted no international competition??? I said I would prefer a trimmed down competition.

I'll ignore your comment about other cups because I have absolutely zero idea why any of those other cups has any relevance at all to what I was saying.

Re your last sentence, what the actual fuck? You gave your opinion, I gave mine. Only one of us is acting like they think they should be king of the world and everything would be better then. And it isn't me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.