Government to "move quickly" on all seater reform

You say understandably, but im not sure I agree. Safe standing makes football safer, and anyone who lost family in a stadium disaster should support it.

THFG should know better than anyone what caused Hillsborough, and it wasn't a lack of seats.
I met with the HFG many years ago when the FSF started the safe standing campaign.
Whilst we didnt agree, the one thing about them was they were consistent. They didnt want standing anywhere - 3rd and 4th divisions, rugby and other sports. I asked them about standing on trains travelling at 100 miles an hour....
This would have been maybe 2002. No idea what their view is these days as there doesnt appear to be a vocal opposition to rail seating either that or the media have stopped asking them for quotes.
Within the FSF we often said the answer to the HFG had to come from Liverpool fans themselves and in the end it did.

From what I remember the HFG have been very vocal against standing and safe standing at matches.

Because of Hillsborough they have a lot of political clout.

I have never read the HFG asking Liverpool supporters and Kopites not stand at Anfield.

From what I remember the HFG have been very vocal against standing and safe standing at matches.

Because of Hillsborough they have a lot of political clout.

I have never read the HFG asking Liverpool supporters and Kopites not stand at Anfield.
I recall watching one of the "famous European nights under the lights" on TV maybe 10 years ago and the camera zoomed in on The Kop in full flow and the commentator saying "say what you want about all seated stadiums but it certainly hasnt affected the atmosphere here tonight". The idiot was totally oblivious to the fact that the entire Kop apart from those in wheelchairs were standing!

The problem with trying to get safe standing reintroduced is that it's a political decision that isn't being driven by overwhelming public opinion. Most match going supporters aren't that bothered and no-one outside of that small section of the electorate is the slightest bit interested.

To be honest, as I'm 65 I wouldn't relocate to a safe standing area even though I am in favour of it as that is what I experienced in my earlier years as a supporter. I'm very happy with my relocation to SS3 & I'll never move again.

Ironic isn't it that SS3 is the best seat and best atmosphere in the ground and yet they are also the cheapest seats.
I tend to think that safe standing will only be introduced at City to coincide with the stadium expansion as they won't want to displace existing 'sitters'.

It will happen but god knows when. The sooner it does the safer for match going fans. And has a side note of cause it helps with the atmosphere why wouldn’t it?

This is the text of an e-mail from Labour MP Rosena Allin-Khan I received today.

"As someone who has supported my work as the Shadow Sports Minister to improve the fan experience at football matches - I wanted to write to you about Safe Standing.

Last Thursday, the Government published their Safe Standing review. Despite Safe Standing being implemented safely in multiple leagues across the world, such as in Germany, Scotland and the USA, the review has concluded that more evidence is still required.

By rejecting the introduction of Safe Standing, the Government are disgracefully ignoring the clear demand by fans, supporters' groups and football clubs.

The EFL’s own survey concluded overwhelmingly that fans across the country would favour the option to stand safely at football matches – and now the Government are continuing to wilfully disregard the clear demand from the 94% of fans who would welcome the implementation of Safe Standing.

So I am confirming today, that if Labour return to Government in coming months we would overturn the all-seater policy. We would allow the introduction of Safe Standing areas for all clubs in the Premier League and EFL for the 2020/21 season.

I want to make it clear to the Government that fans cannot continue to be ignored - please help me by sharing your views on social media."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.