Knees as you age

My knees are fucked. I had a bad left knee all last week but things got worse last Friday and by Sunday I literally couldn’t get off the sofa, meaning I missed the match

Was off work Monday to Wednesday as there was no chance I could drive

Went to A&E on Tuesday. After 6.5 hrs it was put down to a bacterial infection in the knee, which I don’t believe as I think it’s gout. Can you get gout in the knee?

I’m only just starting to get back to normal but still in some discomfort

My knees are fucked. I had a bad left knee all last week but things got worse last Friday and by Sunday I literally couldn’t get off the sofa, meaning I missed the match

Was off work Monday to Wednesday as there was no chance I could drive

Went to A&E on Tuesday. After 6.5 hrs it was put down to a bacterial infection in the knee, which I don’t believe as I think it’s gout. Can you get gout in the knee?

I’m only just starting to get back to normal but still in some discomfort

Gout can develop in any joint.

I am 42 and have very sedentary (or should I say layentary) lifestyle. They don't hurt yet but flexibility is fucked when I wake up. I need 20 steps before I can walk normally. Lower back being weak doesn't help too.

The NHS actually recently changed the advice that everyone should do a certain amount of strength training as they get older.

Here's some inspiration:

Proving that it’s never too late to pick up a weight, Dr Walter first ventured into the world of strength training at the age of 65.

“Six years ago, I told one of my sons that I was getting unfit, that I was too busy to go to the gym five times a week, and that I was worried that I was on a slippery slope, given my age,” she explains to The Independent.

Obviously if you've got a proper injury, then it might not the best idea, but if it's just aging, then it probably is. I broke my ankle not too long ago and weight training was one of the first things my physio had me doing, before I could even walk with crutches.

My mate had a knee replacement in his late 40’s as he was crippled by it, I think general rule though is 60.
yes something like 60, but if you need it like your mate it must be done.
I was told at the time (55) that a knee replacement lasts about 15 yrs. and that they really only like to do one operation and not do the same knee a second time. Of course by that time technology will be further advanced to where my Doc's info won't be applicable, maybe even now.
long story short between my knee, my ungodly shift work sched. and severe sleep apnea I gained a lot of weight and acquired heal pain, and my knee hurt tremendously. I went from a guy who played just about every sport to layed up basically. Horrible. Now with the sleep thing and work sorted out and cortisone injections, I've lost about 65 pounds and the pains are reduced big time. Even easing back into playing golf.
Now I'm thinking if I get down to where I should be I may not need one for a long while.

Looks like this threads got legs and full to the brim with coffin dodgers. We live in an incredible age of spare part replacement surgery and a mini assembly line of technological marvel somewhat akin to the six million dollar man..gentleman we can rebuild him .. We have knees hips and shoulders teeth implants hair implants and hearts and lungs and soon sometime in the not to distant future we will full body replacement surgery... .. I will have the Brad Pit please with a Kirk Douglas dimple and the wife will have the Bo Derick and they will could even offer partner spousal discounts on a two together promo . It's all perfectly feasable and this is only the beginning but it could be risky if they mixed up on the tablenand the wife came out with a saggy ball sac and I had 38" jugs..What I am trying to say is this is a great time to grow old because when I was a kid people in their forties and fities were way old before their time with grey hair rain nets n pulling shopping trollies. That is all !

yes something like 60, but if you need it like your mate it must be done.
I was told at the time (55) that a knee replacement lasts about 15 yrs. and that they really only like to do one operation and not do the same knee a second time. Of course by that time technology will be further advanced to where my Doc's info won't be applicable, maybe even now.
long story short between my knee, my ungodly shift work sched. and severe sleep apnea I gained a lot of weight and acquired heal pain, and my knee hurt tremendously. I went from a guy who played just about every sport to layed up basically. Horrible. Now with the sleep thing and work sorted out and cortisone injections, I've lost about 65 pounds and the pains are reduced big time. Even easing back into playing golf.
Now I'm thinking if I get down to where I should be I may not need one for a long while.
Good luck pal, sounds like you’ve really addressed the issue, hopefully you can delay the replacement, bad knees and sleep apnea (which was on another thread) are not a pleasant combo, just shows lifestyle changes can help, cheers.

See your GP to authorise an X-ray at your local hospital. I had an extremely painful knee this time last year, and walking was agony.

I had an X-ray and to my horror the accompanying report told a picture of much wear on what was left of the ligaments, and I was told I would have to have a total knee replacement. I eventually had this and the knee is great now. If I had not had the op the condition would have deteriorated to the point of me being a cripple.

I just hope the other knee holds up. The operation was easy, an anaesthetising of the lower half of the body, you don't feel a thing (just shut your ears to the drilling, sawing and hammering) and you're out in a few days.
I'm 55 and having a knee replacement op next Saturday!!!! Initial problems in 90s from football etc that I never got treated properly. Told in April I have a ruptured cruciate ligament and chronic arthritis in right knee. So replacement it is. Pain has got really bad recently so needs doing. My mum who is 80 had hers done in summer just hope my recovery is quicker than hers!!!
Will miss a few matches but targeting the Derby

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.