Football Tourism - Good, Bad or Indifferent?

I'm resigned to the fact that there are football tourists aplenty at City games and not overly bothered tbh as this is the price for being successful .

Whilst we have all slagged the rags and dippers for their foreign followings , I suspect that on a global basis , our foreign contingent is rapidly growing .

Being born in Manchester , I was so lucky to be able to go to Maine Rd to support City, my local team. But it has always confounded me as to why the rags have so many London based " fans " seeing as there are so many teams these people could have supported based up place of birth, but they are the most blatant glory hunters imaginable, and rightly imo get abuse for it.

And yet here we are today with the tourists turning up for games at the Etihad and I'm kind of not really arsed . Of course I am a foc and that perhaps explains some of it.

I,like thousands of others have had a season ticket for years and years,back to Maine Road days,nothing to do with cost,it's a religion.

However these days at City,things have changed immensely,I have watched games on telly (when not at the match myself),at mainly the swamp and Anfield,were you would see countless tourists,before mobile phones,you'd see the tourists with a Nikon around their necks,then as the half and half scarves came on the scene,it made them stand out even more.

All as I'm saying is they should all be put in a section of the ground,where they can,(as stated on here by loads who have seen them) play on their phones,wave their half and half scarves,and enjoy their experience.

I also went to Maine Road, but as a kid. The point I'm saying is that MR fit 35k, of which 25k are the diehards like you, and there was probably another 20 - 30k of people like me who go to 10ish games per seasons. Eastlands fits 55k, so however you do the sums we are having to find another another 20k+ people to fill the ground. No tourist is ever taking a seat from an otherwise dedicated fan. They're freely available.

A dedicated block seems fine, but how would it work out in actuality? The club does season cards, opens to Citizens like me, and then puts the rest on general sale. Where are you going to put them? How are you going to police it? How are you going to judge who is a tourist or not? How are you going to sell it?

Separate blocks. Football Apartheid . That’s nice. Really well thought out.

I also went to Maine Road, but as a kid. The point I'm saying is that MR fit 35k, of which 25k are the diehards like you, and there was probably another 20 - 30k of people like me who go to 10ish games per seasons. Eastlands fits 55k, so however you do the sums we are having to find another another 20k+ people to fill the ground. No tourist is ever taking a seat from an otherwise dedicated fan. They're freely available.

A dedicated block seems fine, but how would it work out in actuality? The club does season cards, opens to Citizens like me, and then puts the rest on general sale. Where are you going to put them? How are you going to police it? How are you going to judge who is a tourist or not? How are you going to sell it?

I've no idea were to put them,on roof ? I don't care,but if there was any half and half merchants sat near were I sit,they'd be ridiculed,and not off me may I add,it's just a frustration thing I guess,of the club not treating the supporters who have been through the rough patches,it's getting worse every season,and will reach boiling point at some stage I reckon.

And you know something else,if we ever become shit again,which let's face it,may happen one day,they'd disappear,just like the Cheshire set who now bring their wives and kids to the tunnel club,were they used to go the swamp,another debate all together.

I,like thousands of others have had a season ticket for years and years,back to Maine Road days,nothing to do with cost,it's a religion.

However these days at City,things have changed immensely,I have watched games on telly (when not at the match myself),at mainly the swamp and Anfield,were you would see countless tourists,before mobile phones,you'd see the tourists with a Nikon around their necks,then as the half and half scarves came on the scene,it made them stand out even more.

All as I'm saying is they should all be put in a section of the ground,where they can,(as stated on here by loads who have seen them) play on their phones,wave their half and half scarves,and enjoy their experience.

I was sat next to a guy from Thailand at the Wolves game he was here on holiday he was buzzing to be at the ground asked loads of questions and was knowledgeable all things City I would rather sit next to him and people like him than the usual guy who sits next to me who does nothing but slag of the club and players the 70 minutes he is sat in his seat h

I've no idea were to put them,on roof ? I don't care,but if there was any half and half merchants sat near were I sit,they'd be ridiculed,and not off me may I add,it's just a frustration thing I guess,of the club not treating the supporters who have been through the rough patches,it's getting worse every season,and will reach boiling point at some stage I reckon.

And you know something else,if we ever become shit again,which let's face it,may happen one day,they'd disappear,just like the Cheshire set who now bring their wives and kids to the tunnel club,were they used to go the swamp,another debate all together.
We are the best show in town so to speak. That's why we get the mix of people at the moment. As you say when we go back to being average they will clear off and Manchester will be a ghost town, why else would you go to Manchester if not to watch the team in the land :-).

I was sat next to a guy from Thailand at the Wolves game he was here on holiday he was buzzing to be at the ground asked loads of questions and was knowledgeable all things City I would rather sit next to him and people like him than the usual guy who sits next to me who does nothing but slag of the club and players the 70 minutes he is sat in his seat h

That's refreshing to hear,there will be some exceptions obviously,hope he comes again...…...but did he have an half and half scarf on ?

We are the best show in town so to speak. That's why we get the mix of people at the moment. As you say when we go back to being average they will clear off and Manchester will be a ghost town, why else would you go to Manchester if not to watch the team in the land :-).

That's the worry,but hopefully as some fella across town once said,not in my lifetime

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.