Nicolas Otamendi - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the correct answer.. Like I said, this will probably be his last season for us. For me, he's earned a bit more respect than what he gets.. If Eric and John were 100% fit then he wouldn't be playing every week and thus wouldn't be the fall guy when we have an off day The team wins or loses for me, it gets a bit shitty when individuals get dug out, especially the same ones..

I agree with you that the whole team takes responsibility for us winning or losing. It was a very poor performance v Wolves by the whole team including Pep and the coaching team. We can’t replay the game so it’s history now ; we all learn from it and move on.
CTID

Just watching a replay of the Wolves game and his 'defending' sticks out like a sore thumb

5th minute - Flys out to try and cut the ball off in midfield, misses, as a result Dinho has to try and chase down Cutrone who goes in on goal

19th minute - Loose long pass from Mahrez back to goal is intercepted by Jimenez. Otamendi one on one with Jimenez, with Dinho quickly closing in support, Otamendi instead dives in & goes to ground, missing. Dinho required to produce two blocks to stop shot on goal

22nd minute - Otamendi attempts long back pass to Dinho, intercepted by Jimenez again. Dinho has to chase down and manages to restrict Jimenez's space to stop a shot on goal

80th minute - Cancelo dallies around in the opposition half losing the ball, causing Jimenez to break fast. Two on two situation with other City players coming back in support, instead Otamendi's brain explodes as he dives in again, misses, that creates two on one with Dinho. Jimenez squares the ball to Traore, goal

94th minute - Wolves break and Otamendi no where to be seen. Ball goes through to Traore who outpaces Dinho, scores

And those are pretty much all the main chances Wolves had.

If that doesn't scream liability, I don't know what does. Every time, Otamendi screws up, Dinho has to try and salvage.
That says more about you going through the game and writing all that down tbh

That says more about you going through the game and writing all that down tbh
To be fair to the poster, it was a more in depth match report than the so called journo's who turn up, give Pep shit and abuse our hospitality manage to churn out!
At least he didn't mention the empty seats!

Just watching a replay of the Wolves game and his 'defending' sticks out like a sore thumb

5th minute - Flys out to try and cut the ball off in midfield, misses, as a result Dinho has to try and chase down Cutrone who goes in on goal

19th minute - Loose long pass from Mahrez back to goal is intercepted by Jimenez. Otamendi one on one with Jimenez, with Dinho quickly closing in support, Otamendi instead dives in & goes to ground, missing. Dinho required to produce two blocks to stop shot on goal

22nd minute - Otamendi attempts long back pass to Dinho, intercepted by Jimenez again. Dinho has to chase down and manages to restrict Jimenez's space to stop a shot on goal

80th minute - Cancelo dallies around in the opposition half losing the ball, causing Jimenez to break fast. Two on two situation with other City players coming back in support, instead Otamendi's brain explodes as he dives in again, misses, that creates two on one with Dinho. Jimenez squares the ball to Traore, goal

94th minute - Wolves break and Otamendi no where to be seen. Ball goes through to Traore who outpaces Dinho, scores

And those are pretty much all the main chances Wolves had.

If that doesn't scream liability, I don't know what does. Every time, Otamendi screws up, Dinho has to try and salvage.
So...
19 mins - Loose pass by Mahrez intercepted by Jimenez - Otamendi's fault
22 mins - Loose pass by Otamendi intercepted by Jimenez - Otamendi's fault

I see a pattern there alright

I'm just being curious when Ota every time slides on his ass trying to win the ball in 1 on 1 situations, does Pep actually encourage him to do so? It's inconceivable for me that Pep hasn't ever told him to stop doing it. Or he has but Ota still does it every single time. Maybe it's programmed in his brain from early age when he was diving on the streets in Buenos Aires.

I'm just being curious when Ota every time slides on his ass trying to win the ball in 1 on 1 situations, does Pep actually encourage him to do so? It's inconceivable for me that Pep hasn't ever told him to stop doing it. Or he has but Ota still does it every single time. Maybe it's programmed in his brain from early age when he was diving on the streets in Buenos Aires.
Pep said in the beginning of the 16/17 season that he doesn't like that Ota does it. City almost sold him to Real Madrid for £20m as a result in 2017 summer. Pep then managed to cut it out for the 2017/18 season but it started to come back last season even though he didn't play much and now he has truly reverted back to how he was in 15/16 and 16/17 seasons.

Think Ota is gone either in January or summer.

Pep said in the beginning of the 16/17 season that he doesn't like that Ota does it. City almost sold him to Real Madrid for £20m as a result in 2017 summer. Pep then managed to cut it out for the 2017/18 season but it started to come back last season even though he didn't play much and now he has truly reverted back to how he was in 15/16 and 16/17 seasons.

Think Ota is gone either in January or summer.

It has definitely come back now. Seems he just can’t help himself

So...
19 mins - Loose pass by Mahrez intercepted by Jimenez - Otamendi's fault
22 mins - Loose pass by Otamendi intercepted by Jimenez - Otamendi's fault

I see a pattern there alright

but thats not what he said was it?

Pep has clearly said over the past few years that he needs players who are excellent in one vs one situations. What the OP was pointing out was that Otoomendi in those situations made clearl poor judgements - Kompany in that situation either tackles the player, fouls the player or slows the player down - Ottomendi did none of those. - he dived in taking himself out of the game

the way we play (and Pep has said this himself) means that if we lose the ball it creates a situation where any team can create 2vs 2 or one vs one situations with our defenders - Otto in these situations makes very poor decisions and isnt quick enough.

the OP also pointed out 3-4 other clear incidents where Ottomendi was at fault directly - he is correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.