Things that give you Heebie-Jeebies

Four guys got mauled by Griz this year in my hunting unit during the archery season. I think they all lived, just missing a few body parts here and there

I’ve seen a bit of life and dont scare easily but there was a few minutes when that grizzly was looking directly at me as I backed our group away. I think I was as scared as I’ve ever been in my life.

Heights. Never used to bother me, but I developed hopeless vertigo aged about 60 and it has got progressively worse.
was gonna like, but it's a dislike for me as well, Like you I was fine when I was younger and still if there's a railing i'm fine, loved leaning over the edge at the CN Tower in Toronto, but with no railings like standing on the cliff edge of the Grand Canyon or the Snake River Canyon looking across at Evel Knievel's rocket launch site I couldn't get barely 10' from the edge now and feeling wobbly.

I had a work trip to Banff a few years ago, loads of people telling me, you wont see any bears, etc.

Within 3 days I'd stumbled into a family of Grizzlies, Mum & 2 Cubs on the path up the the Tea Houses near Lake Louise. Got within 20 yards of Mum & had to get the Bear Spray out... fortunately she & the cubs wandered off down the hill so we escaped... It was a serious incident, Bear stood up in front of us while we backed away, must have been 8 or 9 feet tall, so close I could smell the thing.

Next day, got stalked by a Black Bear on a walk near Lake Minnewanka (Phnar, Phnar)...

On the last evening went for a nice gentle evening walk up the Tunnel Mountain trail in Banff, and came face to face with a Mountain Lion, about as big as a Labrador but a bloody sight more Bitey.

Mental

In summary... Bears...
yes, Bears and Cougars, Here on Vancouver Island bears are everywhere and cougars are the densest population in the world. Had cat tracks in the snow through my yard one morning and also spotted a cougar nearby across from a high-school one evening, called the conservation officer as there was class in the morning and he said don't worry about it unless you see them in the daytime, saying they know about them moving through these areas. He said we are lucky that there is so much deer and game for them here that they don't take to people because if they did folks would go missing everyday!

Wildlife where I live is of the small variety, deer, badgers, birds of prey. Talking of which, I was attacked by a cougar once.

Ah right. Used to use an angle grinder often, and even though I've done a course on using power tools, a disc rotating at several thousand RPM can cause damage even when wearing eye protection and thick suede gloves. I soon learned to buy good quality discs!
In my workplace we have to double up with all grinders and discs, safety glasses and face shields, and all other proper PPE of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.