Rodri - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodri on his €70m transfer fee: "The market is a bit crazy now. I don't know what the value of players is. I am young, I have a lot of things to learn: I am only 23. The only thing I can say is that I will give everything to my team..."

"I am always a guy that wants to improve all the time and I think I have a long career [ahead of me]. The good thing is that I have a lot to learn and I am in a great place, with a great coach and great parents to become a player."

Rodri on the difference between England and Spain: "...I realised that you don't have a second to think. The way the referees [officiate] is a bit different, too. It's always a question of learning, playing, seeing. The first few games I would play with my body...""...falling [if an opponent clashed with me], but the referee doesn't [give it]. So you don't do it again. That's important. You learn. In terms of quality, they're the best two leagues in the world and I need to adapt."

Rodri on physicality in England: "It's not so much physical as the rhythm, the pace. The play is more physical in that sense; it's more box-to-box, you never stop and play the game, it's always run. It's a new type of football and you have to adapt."

Rodri on the surprising start to the season: "I think people have to be aware that there is a lot happening: we have had a lot of players out. We play every three days in three competitions and we are playing with more or less the same players. What's done is done..."

"We have to realise that we are doing things wrong and we have to fix it. We have to be calm: it's the start of the season, we have recognised that we have had our problems and we improve. Also, in football there are many things you can't control..."

Rodri on moving to City being 'easy': "It wasn't easy. I was really, really happy in Atletico. I was here, with my family, at the team that's in my heart, playing well. But I thought it was right to take this challenge. I am really happy I took that decision." [via @ESPNFC]
Seems to have a very wise head on young shoulders

Me too. I have watched Barca this season and De Jong certainly has not been better than Rodrigo this season so far, in any aspect. Rodri is just as good passer.

In fact, some of FDJ's passing this season has been naive at times, which is what even some Barca fans have said.

Sounds like a naive take. There's no question, Frenkie is indeed a very special player. He will mark an era at Barcelona and hopefully the player will be surrounded with talent to win as much as possible. At this age, Iniesta came off the bench to make the difference in a CL Final before marking an incredible decade after - I think we can expect similar impact. We are so fortunate to have the player, just have to ensure a great team is built around him. He is every bit as sensational a player as envisioned, I still remain in awe of his impact - no midfielder has ever shown up at Barcelona & so quickly guaranteed a key role in the XI like De Jong

Rodri early on already confirms that when it comes to midfielders, few can better Guardiola at identifying the best fit. A big reason why he pursued De Jong and eventually Rodri, rather than Ndombele, as the right alternative. Rodri is a classical pivote in the Guardiola & Busquets mold whereas FDJ can play anywhere in the midfield & no one is quite certain where he will be - however it's clear the biggest difference in their profiles is one is more capable to go forward than the other, can outdribble, win back & identify the right pass in the tightest spaces. In an ideal world, Rodri would've assumed the mantle from Busquets and played behind Frenkie & Arthur

Sounds like a naive take. There's no question, Frenkie is indeed a very special player. He will mark an era at Barcelona and hopefully the player will be surrounded with talent to win as much as possible. At this age, Iniesta came off the bench to make the difference in a CL Final before marking an incredible decade after - I think we can expect similar impact. We are so fortunate to have the player, just have to ensure a great team is built around him. He is every bit as sensational a player as envisioned, I still remain in awe of his impact - no midfielder has ever shown up at Barcelona & so quickly guaranteed a key role in the XI like De Jong

Rodri early on already confirms that when it comes to midfielders, few can better Guardiola at identifying the best fit. A big reason why he pursued De Jong and eventually Rodri, rather than Ndombele, as the right alternative. Rodri is a classical pivote in the Guardiola & Busquets mold whereas FDJ can play anywhere in the midfield & no one is quite certain where he will be - however it's clear the biggest difference in their profiles is one is more capable to go forward than the other, can outdribble, win back & identify the right pass in the tightest spaces. In an ideal world, Rodri would've assumed the mantle from Busquets and played behind Frenkie & Arthur
You're correct that he is very, very good and a perfect fit for you but I don't think I would use the word fortunate. You're going to pay €90 million for him and you pay him a heavily rumoured €300,000 plus a week (presuming he gets all of the win bonuses). He's only 21 now on a 5 year contract so the wages will only increase in 3 years time as you won't let him get to the final year of his contract. Using the word 'fortunate' makes it sound like he came up through your academy.

You're correct that he is very, very good and a perfect fit for you but I don't think I would use the word fortunate. You're going to pay €90 million for him and you pay him a heavily rumoured €300,000 plus a week (presuming he gets all of the win bonuses). He's only 21 now on a 5 year contract so the wages will only increase in 3 years time as you won't let him get to the final year of his contract. Using the word 'fortunate' makes it sound like he came up through your academy.

That's a helluva leap to interpret what I meant by fortunate when it is largely acknowledged everyone was after him and Barcelona won out - from a fan perspective, that's good fortune. I would even say he is the premier midfielder in world football atm, top of the food chain you get paid appropriately. Only in a fantasy does the best player in their position come at a bargain not to mention feigning ignorance that others weren't willing to pay more. As he has said, he wanted Barcelona & again, I am thankful he wanted us as much as most of us wanted him. For me, there is no question he will mark an incredible era at the club

Don't get the criticism of Rodri, to be perfectly honest. He's not had a flawless start but, as far as I'm concerned, he's been one of the best players since he walked in and he's not even fully gotten to grips with the role yet.

The "slows down play" argument is nonsensical. Part of his job, when in possession, is to invite pressure on himself and therefore free up space for those ahead of him. He's perfectly capable of playing a first time pass to a free player and he does this when it suits the momentum of the team.

Don't get the criticism of Rodri, to be perfectly honest. He's not had a flawless start but, as far as I'm concerned, he's been one of the best players since he walked in and he's not even fully gotten to grips with the role yet.

The "slows down play" argument is nonsensical. Part of his job, when in possession, is to invite pressure on himself and therefore free up space for those ahead of him. He's perfectly capable of playing a first time pass to a free player and he does this when it suits the momentum of the team.

Has the " slows down play " argument come from BM posters ( apologies if already mentioned ) , because I ignore lots of the posts , preferring to trust what I see .

Even if the criticism is true, surely he must get some leeway even from the " experts " considering his length of time in the PL, squad and getting to grips with Pep's ideas , or should he have arrived already " up and attuned " ?

Has the " slows down play " argument come from BM posters ( apologies if already mentioned ) , because I ignore lots of the posts , preferring to trust what I see .

Even if the criticism is true, surely he must get some leeway even from the " experts " considering his length of time in the PL, squad and getting to grips with Pep's ideas , or should he have arrived already " up and attuned " ?

Just people going with their initial impressions but with a different take than myself. Some are even saying they don't see him as capable of filling Fernandinho's shoes, despite the fact that the Fern who entered the club and the one he evolved into are very different players.

That's a helluva leap to interpret what I meant by fortunate when it is largely acknowledged everyone was after him and Barcelona won out - from a fan perspective, that's good fortune. I would even say he is the premier midfielder in world football atm, top of the food chain you get paid appropriately. Only in a fantasy does the best player in their position come at a bargain not to mention feigning ignorance that others weren't willing to pay more. As he has said, he wanted Barcelona & again, I am thankful he wanted us as much as most of us wanted him. For me, there is no question he will mark an incredible era at the club
Who's feigning ignorance bud? Who do you think would have paid more than that? PSG maybe? Certainly not us which is why we walked away. Paying that much to a 21 year old just puts you in the same boat as the rags and could lead you down the same slippery slope.

Edit: BTW I distinctly remember him leaving his options open so don't try the 'he only wanted us' crap because he wouldn't be on €300,000 per week if that was true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.