Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lifted from the early 70s and a knowing nod to a rotund striker, formerly of this parish, who was known to, er, "earn" penalties for himself.

And winners medals, not Harry "it's nice to score a goal " , is arsed about them.

Evening JimB, I've read your posts for quiet a while now and have noticed you have managed to crash through the breakers on here and are now quiet established as a resident Spuds supporter.. Can I ask, What the fcuk is going on at your club? It's like a circus minus the elephants but overstocked with clowns!
Why aren't your players putting it in for you?

Good question. Genuinely, I don't know. I'm not sure that anyone outside of the club does. And I'm not sure that it can be pinned down to just the one reason.

But, if I had to guess, I would say that there are two likely major causes.

1. There are three senior players who are free to negotiate with other clubs in January. Three previously key players who are hugely underperforming and possibly weakening team spirit....

2. Poch has been at the club for five years now. And a large proportion of the first team have been there with him throughout most of that time. It's therefore very possible that things have become stale. There comes a time when players will no longer respond to the same coaches in the required manner. They've seen it all before. They need to be moved on.

You won't thank me, I'm sure, for the reference but Alex Ferguson understood that turnover of players was essential for sustained success. In his time at United, he created three or four serial winning teams, retaining only a core of players from the previous winning team. I think that that's where Spurs are at now. For my part, I hope that they know it.

Good question. Genuinely, I don't know. I'm not sure that anyone outside of the club does. And I'm not sure that it can be pinned down to just the one reason.

1. There are three senior players who are free to negotiate with other clubs in January. Three previously key players who are hugely underperforming and possibly weakening team spirit....

2. Poch has been at the club for five years now. And a large proportion of the first team have been there with him throughout most of that time. It's therefore very possible that things have become stale. There comes a time when players will no longer respond to the same coaches in the required manner. They've seen it all before. They need to be moved on.

You won't thank me, I'm sure, for the reference but Alex Ferguson understood that turnover of players was essential for sustained success. In his time at United, he created three or four serial winning teams, retaining only a core of players from the previous winning team. I think that that's where Spurs are at now. For my part, I hope that they know it.
Reason 1 sounds credible.
Reason 2 does not. When teams win titles they get complacent so you need 2-3 signings to keep the players on their toes. Spurs should have been really hungry after going so close to the CL last season. And anyway Spurs bought players this Summer

Do you think Poch's comments about leaving if you won the Champions' League last season have anything to do with your form?

I certainly do.

Reason 1 sounds credible.
Reason 2 does not. When teams win titles they get complacent so you need 2-3 signings to keep the players on their toes. Spurs should have been really hungry after going so close to the CL last season. And anyway Spurs bought players this Summer

We bought a few players, yes. One has yet to play. Another has barely managed more than 20 minutes in total game time. The third has shown glimpses of his potential but clearly needs time to get fully up to speed.

But my point is not so much about incoming as it is about outgoing. Too many players seem stale. We need to move them on.

Do you think Poch's comments about leaving if you won the Champions' League last season have anything to do with your form?

I certainly do.

I'm doubtful about that. If you follow Poch's media quotes closely, you'll know that he contradicts himself all the time. What he says privately to the players is likely to be very different.

I’m presuming in Spurs fans circles the rumours of Vertonghan shagging Eriksen’s Mrs and disrupting the dressing room are considered bollocks?

If you’ve even heard them at all.

Thanks for your reply JB. All boils down to the M word then.. I'd like to see Son at ours as I really rate him, see Kane's getting a bit of flack, looks to me as if he would benefit from a change of scene but I can't see him leaving, he'll be a 1 club man.. DA has fallen off a cliff and your goalie has a bad injury (made me wince watching that). Before it all unravels big time for you though, just make sure you get a result at the dippers in a couple of weeks.. Cheers!

I’m presuming in Spurs fans circles the rumours of Vertonghan shagging Eriksen’s Mrs and disrupting the dressing room are considered bollocks?

If you’ve even heard them at all.

Ha! Yes, they've done the rounds. And, yes, they've been dismissed as bollocks. That's not to say that there might not be issues within the squad, though. As I said, none of us can really put a finger on why we've started the season quite this badly.

Thanks for your reply JB. All boils down to the M word then.. I'd like to see Son at ours as I really rate him, see Kane's getting a bit of flack, looks to me as if he would benefit from a change of scene but I can't see him leaving, he'll be a 1 club man.. DA has fallen off a cliff and your goalie has a bad injury (made me wince watching that). Before it all unravels big time for you though, just make sure you get a result at the dippers in a couple of weeks.. Cheers!

Defence is the major issue at the moment. It used to be so solid. But now giving up chances easily. We're also not creating sufficient good chances in attack (other than against Bayern, ironically). Eriksen is a mere shadow of his true self, currently, and we need to move him on in January if we can. Ndombele and Lo Celso (when he returns from injury) should more than fill the creative void that he leaves. And yes, a number of players need to rediscover past form and fitness.

So not much to ask, then, to render beating the scousers at Anfield a formality.

Ha! Yes, they've done the rounds. And, yes, they've been dismissed as bollocks. That's not to say that there might not be issues within the squad, though. As I said, none of us can really put a finger on why we've started the season quite this badly.

Defence is the major issue at the moment. It used to be so solid. But now giving up chances easily. We're also not creating sufficient good chances in attack (other than against Bayern, ironically). Eriksen is a mere shadow of his true self, currently, and we need to move him on in January if we can. Ndombele and Lo Celso (when he returns from injury) should more than fill the creative void that he leaves. And yes, a number of players need to rediscover past form and fitness.

So not much to ask, then, to render beating the scousers at Anfield a formality.
Ffs Jim, get a grip man, a result against the dippers will turn your season around. They're due a defeat there, it's Spuds big chance, think positive mate.. Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.