Subbuteo

I got a set, and it had one team in sky blue and white, and the other in red and white. I spent HOURS with a permanent marker black felt pen, colouring the shorts and putting black stripes on the shirts.
CTID

Yep. Had the plastic pitch, floodlights, a 3 sided stadium, dugouts and about 15 teams including City home and away( think the away was AC Milan but it was black and red!) Brazil, Barcelona and Ajax were my other favourites
da5463fb58a5a9c51f2f169170968486.jpg
19358f05804cc7286120887be8014d6b.jpg
9dfdbbc7b990f30f139bb21a615ef407.jpg
Love that Brazil team, proper 1982 kit.

Yeah me to. As well as the blue and red teams that came with the set, I had City QPR and England. My dad fixed to a board so the pitch was always flat. Had some great times with my mates and then going round to theirs for the away leg.

My lad bought me a book for my birthday a while ago. Flick to Kick an illustrated history of Subbuteo by Daniel Tatarsky. For a bonus point, how did the inventor come up with the name?

he wanted to call it Hobby but that name was already used so instead called it by the Latin name of the hobby bird, Subbuteo.

Back in the sixties I was a spotty teenager who played for Rusholme Rovers. We had an awards evening arranged at the house of the boss on Thornton Road. Tony Coleman was supposed to be coming to give awards out. Unfortunately it rained that night, rain so heavy for hours that the buses stopped running. Lloyd Street South was a river. TC never showed. So we arranged an impromptu Subbuteo tournament. I went out in round 1.

Last edited:
A friend of mine paints the players for a living

I remember having the Anderlecht team in the 70s all purple

had rugby and cricket as well as football, rugby was shot except for the kickers. Has about 20 teams in the loft for years, sold them on ebay eventually and made a few hundred quid, the originals in boxes (before they went a sort of android looking) were quite collectable at the time, no idea what the market is like these days though.

That reminds me,I most go and watch some paint drying...............only kidding and yes I played back in the day and it was a very popular past time for young un's

Loved painting the footie players in all royal blue, like training kits, sad as fuck.

Rugby, used to pencil on the mud...mad as fuck.

Cricket, used to turn the bowlers triangle 45 degrees to imitate spin bowling.

Things we did!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.