Remembering Yaya!

What a shame.

For two years, arguably the best midfielder in the world IMO.

For two years, not even the best midfielder in Manchester.

The drop-off was huge, only matched by the increase in his ego.

Money can do funny things to a person and it is hard for me to remember him as anything but a great player, falling short of what it truly takes to be a legend.

Bizarrely, even at his peak, I'm not sure he would get in this current starter Pep team in terms of what is demanded of it?

I'd have enjoyed seeing it though.

What a shame.

Money can do funny things to a person and it is hard for me to remember him as anything but a great player, falling short of what it truly takes to be a legend.

Bizarrely, even at his peak, I'm not sure he would get in this current starter Pep team in terms of what is demanded of it?

I think it's always underestimated/omitted that his incredible year of form and the subsequent drop off happened as he found out his brother was terminally ill, and then following his death.

He spoke at the time that he and Kolo were playing for their brother when he was ill, his death obviously affected him a lot, and IMO his attitude on the pitch was never the same afterwards, and in a way I can't blame him.

Also, I think if Pep had arrived in 2013 as originally hoped, and without the personal tragedy affecting him, Guardiola would have built the team around Yaya. Busquets may have been a better fit at Barca, but outside of that la masia bubble, Yaya is a much more complete player and was every bit good enough to play 6 for Pep.

Last edited:
Never will be in the same class as previous zabba kompany Silva,plus some off the rest
Couldn't give 2fks about the man
If your woman shit on you once some will forgive twice three time,nah your a fking mug

But without him you can forget the 2012 and 2014 title wins

230 appearances 62goals in his time with us.i would go as far as to say the
best midfielder in the world for a time when he was with us awsome player unplayable at times. Pitty he will never be remembered in the same breath as komps, zabba, dave and sergio

For me one of the worlds best, and i think he will always be given a hero's welcome by City fans. I think it was at the Brighton game last season where he was mobbed by players, a fitting testament to the guy and how we love him :)

OC, mad as a box of frogs, but the part he played in putting City ahead of Utd will always be part of our clubs history and he will always be one name in a list of greats.

What a shame.

At Ya Ya’s peak any manager including Pep who didn’t start him in every game would in my opinion be wrong. A beast of a player

I remember his debut against Timisoara I think it was, nowhere near fully fit but he was clearly a class above. Thinking we've got a hell of a player. Obviously the expert opinions "he's just another defensive mid" were always nonsense but I don't think anyone could have predicted the impact he'd have on big games. The 4-1 against Utd was probably the most complete performance I've seen from a City player.

I don't believe he was crap in his last two seasons, Guardiola's first season when teams started pressing high and Fernandinho was struggling he came back in the deep midfield role and stabilised us. Still past his best but there was a reason we gave him an extra year. Was a worthwhile gamble but then his legs just went completely, can't really blame a 34 year old for that.

For me the greatest all round footballer City have had. He could have been anything he wanted to be; centre forward, holding midfielder, no 10, centre back.

His range of passing, his change of pace, his ability to step up and score in the important moments. The difference in so many games in the 2012 and 2014 title winning seasons.

Couldn't give a fuck about what he did off the pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.