#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
EG7MnbLX4AIgcgj

Had to laugh at the irony of england fans singing his name last night after the treatment he's had from fans here, whilst both playing for City and england, I wonder how many of them are/were racist, and will they be back to booing him again on Saturday's ?

It maybe good in some ways that racists keep quiet over here but it does not reflect the defeat of racism, it just reflects the extent of social control. Sterling was in my opinion being targeted because he was young and black but his critics would never admit it.

It's true at football you don't hear monkey chants any more, but I think that's just because the people who might do it, just know that they will get caught if they do so.

It's a bit like football hooliganism. That didn't stop because fans got bored and got won over by the Farm and Gazza's tears, it was because the club knew your seat number, address, and had CCTV, and firms got raided and locked up.
Completely agree Marvin with what you say. I struggle with the other poster though, as I think the shit Raheem has taken in England has been at least as bad as the shit he took last night, probably worse as it was fuelled by the written media, and not condemned by the tv and radio media. It was in fact utterly fucking disgusting, just like last night

It's true at football you don't hear monkey chants any more, but I think that's just because the people who might do it, just know that they will get caught if they do so.

It's a bit like football hooliganism. That didn't stop because fans got bored and got won over by the Farm and Gazza's tears, it was because the club knew your seat number, address, and had CCTV, and firms got raided and locked up.

This is exactly what I mean by the two being different.

You can crack down on racism in stadiums like hooliganism. You can catch individuals, you can punish clubs and close stadiums and you will get to the point where footballers don't get racially abused.

To combat the kind of thing that Sterling suffered from, which operates from unspoken and sometimes subconscious prejudice, is much more of a societal issue than a football one. We can blame the newspapers for heightening things, but make no mistake the reason that it kept going is because they found an audience who were happy, desperate at times to eat up what the tabloids were putting out.

And that can't be changed through football, not really. It comes from education and addressing the reasons why some people not just in the footballing community but nationwide are prejudiced against successful immigrants.

@sterling7 on negative publicity previously affecting his England performances: “It [the goal drought] came on the back of having bad press. I had a stigma. I had people looking at me in a certain way. People were judging me before I went onto the field for England..."

“They didn’t want me in the national team. Even if I was doing well for my club, they didn’t want me in the national team. That was the feeling I had at the time, and it puts you down. It puts you in a low place..."

"You want to be the best for your national team. If you don’t have that love, which I didn't think I was getting, it makes you. If people were having me or not, I had to show them I wanted to be there. I wanted to make up for lost time."

“I believe people understand me now – they can see the truth and ignore what they have heard about me previously. They see that I’m a person who only wants to do the best for the national team. When you’re young, you don’t really want to upset anyone..."

“You don’t want any more noise than you’re already getting. You bite your tongue and leave it. But if you have something you feel strongly about, then no matter what position you’re in, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t have that right to speak..."

This is exactly what I mean by the two being different.

You can crack down on racism in stadiums like hooliganism. You can catch individuals, you can punish clubs and close stadiums and you will get to the point where footballers don't get racially abused.

To combat the kind of thing that Sterling suffered from, which operates from unspoken and sometimes subconscious prejudice, is much more of a societal issue than a football one. We can blame the newspapers for heightening things, but make no mistake the reason that it kept going is because they found an audience who were happy, desperate at times to eat up what the tabloids were putting out.

And that can't be changed through football, not really. It comes from education and addressing the reasons why some people not just in the footballing community but nationwide are prejudiced against successful immigrants.
Racism = racism, both fucking appalling, no difference

Racism = racism, both fucking appalling, no difference

There's a massive fucking difference between stopping people going to work at getting racially abused, and combating ingrained societal prejudice.

Yes they're both appalling, no one has ever said otherwise, but you are conflating 2 very different issues. If you bother reading the comments I've written about how they're different, you can see why I think they're different.

There's a massive fucking difference between stopping people going to work at getting racially abused, and combating ingrained societal prejudice.

Yes they're both appalling, no one has ever said otherwise, but you are conflating 2 very different issues. If you bother reading the comments I've written about how they're different, you can see why I think they're different.
It’s like being in a room with a very smart barrister, you know he is talking shite, but it’s very clever shite with well put together pompous and arrogant words. I am, as you know a simple man, and simply put, the racist shite that Raheem has been subject to domestically in England, and internationally for England, is the same - one is as appalling as the other. Racism in all its forms is for cunnts, there are no blurred edges here, no conflating (whatever the fuck that is). Racism is as evil in England/Britain as it is in Bulgaria. Fortunately the racists in Bulgaria were called out last night, I am not sure the English offenders of Raheem were called out, in fact I am sure they weren’t. But in my simple head racism is bad and it doesn’t have a league table, it doesn’t need comparing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.