Joy Division / New Order thread

Joy Division. Hmmm...quite, how do I say this, moaning gothlike dirge. And I own a couple of their records. Would rather listen to Danse Society if I'm honest.

New Order. Worse lyrics but more upbeat.

New Order for me.

Hearing Atmophere being played on piccadilly radio was my first wow moment in music. Which started me on my musical journey.

Left school in 89 first pay packet I received from my summer job went straight into piccadilly records and bought technique. This was the soundtrack for the next few years.

So can't separate either as both had important parts to play.

Joy Division. Hmmm...quite, how do I say this, moaning gothlike dirge. And I own a couple of their records. Would rather listen to Danse Society if I'm honest.

New Order. Worse lyrics but more upbeat.

New Order for me.

The key thing in regards to New Order lyrics is that there was absolutely no way that Bernard could compete with Ian's lyrics in the serious stakes. Ian had all those demons in his head and shown them to the world through his vocals. His demons were so bad that he killed himself. How does Bernard go about replicating that? There is no way he could have ever done it. So he went the total opposite was. Some quotes from books mixed with nursery rhymes. Where as the lyrics and delivery of Curtis drove Joy Division, it was the music that took centre stage in New Order.

The key thing in regards to New Order lyrics is that there was absolutely no way that Bernard could compete with Ian's lyrics in the

Right. He didn't even want to/couldn't sing and play guitar. The fact that NO not only carried on without a truly unique and iconic lead singer, but made a 40 year career out of it turning out great tune after great tune is an accomplishment that very few bands in history have ever matched. I can't think of another offhand. Pink Floyd maybe? Does Foo Fighters count?

Right. He didn't even want to/couldn't sing and play guitar. The fact that NO not only carried on without a truly unique and iconic lead singer, but made a 40 year career out of it turning out great tune after great tune is an accomplishment that very few bands in history have ever matched. Has there even been one?
AC/DC?

Right. He didn't even want to/couldn't sing and play guitar. The fact that NO not only carried on without a truly unique and iconic lead singer, but made a 40 year career out of it turning out great tune after great tune is an accomplishment that very few bands in history have ever matched. I can't think of another offhand. Pink Floyd maybe? Does Foo Fighters count?

I don't know enough about Pink Floyds history to comment mate. Foo Fighters would be the nearest I can think of in regards to the background story. They were on a similar path music wise the Nirvana though. Once you got past Movement, New Order are a totally different beast to Joy Division. Listen to something like Confusion and its night & day.

Are you really telling me that if you played a Smiths song and a Morrissey song back to back to someone who had never heard them before that that person would be able to tell they weren't the same group?
Ha, no I absolutely did not say that.

Yes, I'll accept that. Though I'd say Ian was more unique and iconic than Bon Scott. And what's his-name who replaced him sounded a lot like him.
Yeah, AC/DC almost became a tribute act, at least New Order didn't try to replace Ian Curtis and went their own way. They were of their time, but Joy Division is timeless.

FTR, I was a New Order fan first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.