Drug Prohibition - Yay or Nay

Legalisation in this country would lead to the collapse of part of a multi billion pound market with many many many layers.

Those running the game at the highest levels globally would never ‘allow’ it to be legalised.

Top end politicians would be getting smoked on a daily basis if they even thought about it.

That’s a problem then with government. I mean just because they “waste it” in your eyes does that mean we shouldn’t tax anything?!

Legalising something doesn’t mean you eradicate criminality. There’s people who sell dodgy chickens, builders who mix poor cement... you get my point.

In terms of what you legalise I’d suggest it happens in stages but I’d look at legalising and controlling the most widely used first. I’d take medical opinion, law endorsement opinion and then draw up a plan. It obviously has to be widely researched and discussed and properly implemented. But if I was a dictator (oh I dream) then I’d probably do the following;

1) Legalise cannabis and introduce cafes and pharmacy style shops to sell it. I’d make it legal for anyone over 18 and I’d introduce a government drug ID system. A little like a driving licence. You need to apply, take a theory test (which gives you the medical info on its harms) and then once you’ve passed you are given an ID. I would limit THC allowance in marijuana and obviously products would clearly be labelled. Mild users could buy weed with little potency (like a beer) and more heavy users could buy stronger stuff (like vodka). However data would be kept on every individual and anyone who has clear signs of addiction would be dealt with (how are this stage I don’t know - needs further thought)

2) cocaine - you’d eventually have to legalise this as it’s so widely used. I wouldn’t have it sold in cafes or anywhere, only in the pharmacy style shops. Age limit would be 21 and over. Potency would be kept low and quantity checks in place. It would be much more regulated than cannabis.

I think you’d have to take every drug on a case by case basis but this is just an example to answer your question

Cannabis I agree completely with you. In fact the current THC content in some of the American cannabis is too high. So I would regulate it an have THC content no higher than 10%.

I would legalise MDMA, LSD and most hallucinogenics.

I am not sure I agree with your reasoning on cocaine, your right it is rampant. But the long term health implications of that drug and its socio economic implications particularly of crack would be too damaging. Tricky one as there are definite benefits to legalising it. I wouldn't imagine it selling in pharmacys would work another suggestion would be to sell it in designated private clubs. But that itself is fraught with issues.

Heroin and all opiates need more regulation not less. The opiate crisis in America is ironically, in many ways a powerful argument against legislation.

Does everyone really use cocaine? Nobody in my circle of friends does. We go out, drink beer and have a good time. I meet different lads for football or nights out and it’s never on the go.

This has been consistent throughout my whole life. I don’t keep this company.

I know a chap who is a retired Police Inspector in Yorkshire. He has argued for years that drugs should be legalised on the basis that it would end most crime overnight.

I am a cynical bugger who thinks that scum are scum and that there will always be crime whatever, because some people are just that way, like others are gay, or artists, or deeply religious, or romantic, or whatever. But that was his professional opinion, and he had seen the shit that people do.

50% of crime is drug related. Legalising it just feels like they’re giving in. Whilst I like a drink, I don’t feel the remote need to smoke, snort, swallow or inject anything to make myself feel better.

Where do you stop though? You'd presumably have to start selling glue and solvents over the counter or is it going to be more selective? Horse tranquillisers and other repurposed substances, this is more difficult to legislate than we think.

Does everyone really use cocaine? Nobody in my circle of friends does. We go out, drink beer and have a good time. I meet different lads for football or nights out and it’s never on the go.

50% of crime is drug related. Legalising it just feels like they’re giving in. Whilst I like a drink, I don’t feel the remote need to smoke, snort, swallow or inject anything to make myself feel better.
You start really shit threads though, give me thieving smackheads any day.

I’m not friends with anyone who does it now either. Lots of my friends dabbled for a bit when we were younger but then we all grew out of it.

However millions of Brits do it ever weekend so in the grand scheme of things it’s pretty prevalent. Outside of the US I believe we are the biggest users.

Yeah let’s not make the world better, improve public services and put a huge dent into crime... because we might look like we’ve surrendered.

Good old stiff British upper lip and delusion is alive and well outside of Brexit I see...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.