Var debate 2019/20

The only way to resolve this is to do away with the penalty/red card secrecy and for VAR to advise the referee to use the provided monitors to review it showing the replay on big screens (unless youre at ot or anfield cos they don't have them)
I watched Ireland being battered by the All Blacks with a Welsh ref earlier in the day and although I don’t know all the technical rules, I could hear the ref explain every decision to the opposing players telling them why each decision was made. I could hear the ref ask the TMO exactly what he wants him to verify before allowing or disallowing a try. We could hear the TMO reply back and see what exactly they were looking at.

This could could work. The problem is it is being used to further corruption not to further the sport.

The only way to resolve this is to do away with the penalty/red card secrecy and for VAR to advise the referee to use the provided monitors to review it showing the replay on big screens (unless youre at ot or anfield cos they don't have them)

There's actual monitors at pitch side ready to do this. This is all within everyone's powers in the current system. Doesn't need to be big screens.

I'm seriously ready to give the rest of the season a miss. I probably won't. I feel a fool to keep watching though. I can't even joy the games between the other teams anymore, like Everton v WestHam or something. I just fel like the whole thing is a farce.

What’s ‘it’ though? VAR isn’t a sentient being. It’s just a series of cameras which some bloke reviews. ‘It’ doesn’t make any decisions or dare not to overrule anybody.

Blaming ‘it’ completely let’s the people off the hook which are in charge of the shit show. A human being in charge of the PL referees has decided that this is how it should be used. That guy is clearly an utter moron and has no idea what he’s doing. Every single issue we’re seeing with VAR has been caused by poor decision making from these PL law makers .

If there’s a positive, it’s that it’s actually all fixable with a bit of common sense and decency.
Great post.

I watched Ireland being battered by the All Blacks with a Welsh ref earlier in the day and although I don’t know all the technical rules, I could hear the ref explain every decision to the opposing players telling them why each decision was made. I could hear the ref ask the TMO exactly what he wants him to verify before allowing or disallowing a try. We could hear the TMO reply back and see what exactly they were looking at.

This could could work. The problem is it is being used to further corruption not to further the sport.
It's the same in cricket when a team uses a review....all explained by the 3rd umpire for everyone to hear. Why are the useless pricks in charge of football immune to explaining decisions?

If all the technology mentioned here, including crowds seeing replays and hearing the conversations have been used in rugby and cricket for years, why can't the richest league in the world have it?

I don't care what excuses these wankers are telling us this is what var SHOULD be doing.

Alerting the ref when he has missed a CLEAR offside, handball, red card and penalty incident. The ref then goes to the pitch side monitor that has the same replay ready to view. He views it, hears their explanation and makes the decision. Ourselves and Watford were denied clear penalties yesterday. Burnley were denied an equaliser. JFE was never getting to that ball to clear it clip on his foot or not. Spur's were given a goal that owed everything to Ali changing the direction of the ball with his arm. Jesus was denied a goal against the same club for one nowhere near as blatant as that one yesterday.

At the moment it is ruining the game not enhancing it. I am sick and tired of hearing it is being fine tuned and all that bollocks the technology has been fine tuned for them in rugby and cricket for years. Get using it!

I suspect it's more of an inherent bias than outright corruption but the complete lack of transparency is slowly killing the game we all love.

Prior to it being brought in, plenty of posters on here (including myself) pointed out that this ridiculous system of VAR will simply add yet another layer where humans can manipulate results.

We're seeing it in full swing now with this "high bar" bullshit where the VAR simply agrees with whatever the on-field ref decides, regardless of the evidence he can see with his own eyes.

Take the De Bruyne one from yesterday. For certain teams (particularly some of those wearing red, surprisingly enough), on-field refs are giving those and then having their decision backed up by VAR. City, on the other hand, are regularly having those calls waved away and the VAR refuses to intervene.

It's so blatant. We haven't moved on at all from the way it used to be. In fact, we've gone backwards as we now have this charade of spending 2 mins checking a decision that is never going to be overturned. What a waste of time.

Add onto that the fact that most of the goals being disallowed are the kind of goals that no one ever had a problem with in the first place and you have to wonder what the point of it all is.

It needs to be opened up like the rugby version, turned into an appeals-based system like the NFL or fucked off completely as it's adding absolutely nothing to the game whilst simultaneously sucking all the fun out of it.

Last edited:
VAR is complete bollocks. How can your player be goal-side of a defender with the ball at his feet then be shoved over with from behind with two hands and you don’t get a penalty? Same as when Rodri was pushed over against Spurs, there is no explanation for either of those not being given

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.