#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s why he should be out on loan this season - if he wasn’t a local kid from Stockport who supports the club, him and his advisors would have demanded it. It’s glaringly obvious he’s kept around to distract from the fact that Pep’s needed to spend £600m on top of an inherited spine of Kompany, Fernandinho, Silva, De Bruyne, Aguero and Sterling to deliver a few league titles. Miraculous.

Imagine if Rodgers would have opted to sign another forward instead of putting his faith in a baby Sterling at Liverpool - Raheem’s career would probably be very different at this point.

Ferguson could have just padded out his squad with signings instead of investing playing time in, and taking pride in the development of, the likes of Scholes, Giggs, Neville etc. For every Ferdinand he bought, there was a Wes Brown/Jonny Evans integrated. And our kids are significantly more talented than the majority of the ones he won titles with.

Chelsea and Leicester are currently in the top 4, playing fantastic football with academy kids supplementing the senior players - the notion that we can’t accommodate a few of our immensely talented young boys, plus 9 top quality seniors and still be competing, is nonsense.
I'm not commenting on the spending stuff, but two things.

A loan is a good idea in theory, but in practice getting a kid a good, productive loan spell at a top level club where he actually gets consistent time is extremely hard to do. There is very little incentive for the loan club to invest in and develop loan players over taking the safe route and playing one of their own instead. it's something we see every single year, and is happening right now with Aro Muric and Patrick Roberts (if you still think he's good).

A better solution is ...just paying him. The best place for him to develop is here. He's ready, he just needs to play more. It's that simple. The notion that you can't compete at the top level and also bring through academy products just isn't true. When the academies at Barcelona, Madrid, Atleti, PSG, Bayern and Liverpool produce a gem, they bring them through. If we also have one of the best academies in the world, which we do, we should be able to also. This isn't a unique problem that we have.

His position is a position young lads don’t often get into top teams much as well. I said the same in the Jesus thread.

Full backs and wingers seem to get into teams at a younger age than centre halves, central midfielders, and centre forwards. This is true throughout many teams from many leagues through many decades.

Unless they’re better than what’s ahead of them, or ridiculously good players you can’t not take the chance on, these most trusted positions are almost always given to more experienced players.

How many young lads get into top teams in central midfield?

Owen Hargreaves at Bayern, started at 21 in the CL final against Valencia. Scholes at United. When they had good players ahead of them.

But who did Lampard displace at Chelsea, who did Gerrard displace at Liverpool? They weren’t trying to displace de Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silva and Gundogan when they were breaking into the Chelsea and Liverpool teams.

We did need something different against Wolves but even Bernardo didn’t get the nod to start with de Bruyne injured so Foden would never have.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s why he should be out on loan this season - if he wasn’t a local kid from Stockport who supports the club, him and his advisors would have demanded it. It’s glaringly obvious he’s kept around to distract from the fact that Pep’s needed to spend £600m on top of an inherited spine of Kompany, Fernandinho, Silva, De Bruyne, Aguero and Sterling to deliver a few league titles. Miraculous.

Imagine if Rodgers would have opted to sign another forward instead of putting his faith in a baby Sterling at Liverpool - Raheem’s career would probably be very different at this point.

Ferguson could have just padded out his squad with signings instead of investing playing time in, and taking pride in the development of, the likes of Scholes, Giggs, Neville etc. For every Ferdinand he bought, there was a Wes Brown/Jonny Evans integrated. And our kids are significantly more talented than the majority of the ones he won titles with.

Chelsea and Leicester are currently in the top 4, playing fantastic football with academy kids supplementing the senior players - the notion that we can’t accommodate a few of our immensely talented young boys, plus 9 top quality seniors and still be competing, is nonsense.
I've been on 5 mins and read 2 posts dissing pep,who d you support?

i would want a loan move if i was him. hes not playing at all. a few cup games - which is what he did last season. isn't enough now. hes too good to not be playing.

Regardless of whether he’s good enough or not (and for what it’s worth I think that if he was ever given a run of games he’d prove that he was) I’d love to know what Pep thinks he’s actually going to learn by coming on for one or two minutes at the end of a game.

People seem to think there’s a plan in place for his development, but I’m pretty sure that if Sane hadnt got injured then Foden wouldn’t have made any appearances at all so far in the Premier League.

Theres no doubt that if he was at Dortmund for example and starting games he would be like Sancho and his value would rocket.

Hes obviously got the talent just not the opportunity to start every game to get into a rhythm and show what he can do. Its too easy for him to him one game and have a poor one then people jump on him saying hes not ready. Everyone should be judged on a run in the team.

That's not a fact, that's a massive oversimplification
more fact than oversimplification
At the moment he is struggling to be a panel regular. I Would love to see him playing but assuming all panel being fit he would not make it at the moment. Hopefully he comes in as a straight replacement to David Silva. Our midfield is just full of top players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.