#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His position is a position young lads don’t often get into top teams much as well. I said the same in the Jesus thread.

Full backs and wingers seem to get into teams at a younger age than centre halves, central midfielders, and centre forwards. This is true throughout many teams from many leagues through many decades.

Unless they’re better than what’s ahead of them, or ridiculously good players you can’t not take the chance on, these most trusted positions are almost always given to more experienced players.

How many young lads get into top teams in central midfield?

Owen Hargreaves at Bayern, started at 21 in the CL final against Valencia. Scholes at United. When they had good players ahead of them.

But who did Lampard displace at Chelsea, who did Gerrard displace at Liverpool? They weren’t trying to displace de Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silva and Gundogan when they were breaking into the Chelsea and Liverpool teams.

We did need something different against Wolves but even Bernardo didn’t get the nod to start with de Bruyne injured so Foden would never have.

For the zillionth time, nobody is demanding he displace anyone on a regular basis at this stage. Just that we cut the bullshit and give him meaningful minutes.

Maybe I'm being biased but he's put in several MOTM performances in the cup games, scored in the CL when goals were tight (Yes we dominated but was struggling to put them away), scored against Spurs which was pivotal to our Premier League title, and has a good goals-to-minutes ratio for a CM/CAM, especially at youth level.

Not saying he needs to start every game, which could actually be detrimental to his progress, but if we're winning games against mid-table opposition, he's got to get minutes. Saturday was perfect opportunity and he got 70-odd seconds. It's insulting.

Why do some posters find this so difficult to understand?

The same salivating dogs trot up every time, totally and conveniently ignoring this point because “Pep knows best” and that brooks no argument.

Last edited:
I don't expect him to start tomorrow, but I'd like to see him either get a start or a decent amount of minutes off the bench on Saturday. I'd be shocked if he didn't start against Southampton next Tuesday.

All of Peps subs are predefined. That’s how we get the balance of total appearances and a substantially close balance of minutes come end of the year for the entire squad. IE: Gabe and Kun on the same appearances at the end of the season with gabby ‘stealing’ 30 minutes every game Kun starts.

I thought he’d get a boost from 1200 to 1800 minutes this season but unfortunately I think his development is going to come next season or completely on the next manager so I doubt that happens :-(.

I don’t necessarily like it but Pep is getting paid $20m + and is only here to win every match, so I guess I’m saying blues should kind of anticipate that reality unless he catches fire during the flurry of games during late December. Subjective opinion here but I think he feels obligated to play Gundogan for personal reasons so that’s why my hopes are minimal for Phil under Pep. Bummer, but I get Peps reluctance.

Edit: despite Pep being a really progressive manager he also has really conservative approaches ideologically wise on occasion...which frustrates a lot of Blues especially @domalino and I guess you with what you’re suggesting here. Hinting back to the predefined subs route...you see that take form when he brings Phil in for 2/3 minutes on occasion when we’d like him to get 20. He wants to play Phil but he takes that conservative approach.

Last edited:
I think Pep believes David Silva isn’t going to be able to make it through the 3 games a week stage of the season and will Peter off as the season comes to a close. Accordingly, he is holding Foden “in reserve” for that time and for when we get the inevitable injuries in midfield.

Tbh, I’m not sure why people who don’t know Foden and are simple football fans get all hot and bothered about it. CLEARLY, PHIL FODEN isn’t concerned, and let’s not forget he is a young kid trying to break into the top team in European football. He is an integral part of the squad and will get playing time. But, let’s not even suggest he is better than Bernardo, Gundogan, Rodri, Fernandinho, KDB, or El Mago, so he’s going to have to wait until they need rest or recuperation.

Why is THAT so hard to understand?

I think Pep believes David Silva isn’t going to be able to make it through the 3 games a week stage of the season and will Peter off as the season comes to a close. Accordingly, he is holding Foden “in reserve” for that time and for when we get the inevitable injuries in midfield.

Tbh, I’m not sure why people who don’t know Foden and are simple football fans get all hot and bothered about it. CLEARLY, PHIL FODEN isn’t concerned, and let’s not forget he is a young kid trying to break into the top team in European football. He is an integral part of the squad and will get playing time. But, let’s not even suggest he is better than Bernardo, Gundogan, Rodri, Fernandinho, KDB, or El Mago, so he’s going to have to wait until they need rest or recuperation.

Why is THAT so hard to understand?

So let me get this straight. You’re saying the modern master of man management knows what he’s doing then?

:-)

I'm looking forward to Foden becoming a regular starter so I'm prepared to be patient and hopefully so will Phil but it must be frustrating for him when he sees his mates getting recognition.......

England international Jadon Sancho was nominated for the Kopa Trophy for young players along with Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi, Everton striker Moise Kean and Atletico Madrid's Joao Felix, who like De Ligt also made the senior list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.