#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. We do have an insane midfield when you put it like that!
His time will come and just being around these players and mixing it up both in training and on the field every now and then is invaluable to his growth....which also needs to come on leaps and bounds. He has definitely grown in stature over last season, but he is still maturing as a young man and too much too soon, or a nasty injury because he wasn’t strong enough for the challenge, etc. is a concern.

He is a Blue through and through and the club is desperate for him to stay and achieve with us. Both sides appear to be on the same sheet of music, but I fully expect to see the name FODEN on the England Squad list for the 2022 World Cup, and possibly even the Euros, although that might be a smidge too soon.

His time will come and just being around these players and mixing it up both in training and on the field every now and then is invaluable to his growth....which also needs to come on leaps and bounds. He has definitely grown in stature over last season, but he is still maturing as a young man and too much too soon, or a nasty injury because he wasn’t strong enough for the challenge, etc. is a concern.

He is a Blue through and through and the club is desperate for him to stay and achieve with us. Both sides appear to be on the same sheet of music, but I fully expect to see the name FODEN on the England Squad list for the 2022 World Cup, and possibly even the Euros, although that might be a smidge too soon.
I agree.
His recent lack of minutes might have something to do with the fact we are not as stable as usual at the moment.
At the moment mistakes seem to attract big consequences. That's more pressure than people realize.
His inner confidence isn't built up like the senior players yet.

I think Pep believes David Silva isn’t going to be able to make it through the 3 games a week stage of the season and will Peter off as the season comes to a close. Accordingly, he is holding Foden “in reserve” for that time and for when we get the inevitable injuries in midfield.

Tbh, I’m not sure why people who don’t know Foden and are simple football fans get all hot and bothered about it. CLEARLY, PHIL FODEN isn’t concerned, and let’s not forget he is a young kid trying to break into the top team in European football. He is an integral part of the squad and will get playing time. But, let’s not even suggest he is better than Bernardo, Gundogan, Rodri, Fernandinho, KDB, or El Mago, so he’s going to have to wait until they need rest or recuperation.

Why is THAT so hard to understand?

Will this, will that. Always jam tomorrow. How can you say he doesn’t deserve a few more minutes in the meantime?

Also, how can you be so sure Phil isn’t concerned? Because of what he says to reporters? Ah right. That’s always a great Litmus test.

I happen to believe the same as you, just with far less certainty. And if we end up buying an expensive Merlin replacement, things could rapidly change.

Out of interest, do you want to see Phil start tonight?

Gen Q to you and others. Would you be OK if Pep started Foden and he had a mare which knocked him back?
100%. If he's going to be a future starter, he needs exposure to all the associated knocks & setbacks a player can have. Even when we won 4 trophies last season, there were nervy moments. He needs to learn how to deal with them and that we win or lose as a team.

At this age, it's as much about mentality as talent (arguably more so), so we need to get him playing and hungry, rather than impressing in training and then getting a couple of minutes here and there. That's not good for anybody. We've got so much squad depth that we can field 2 great players for any position. I guarantee the number 1 motivator in that team is the fear an amazing youth prospect can take their place. That just doesn't exist at all now.

Gen Q to you and others. Would you be OK if Pep started Foden and he had a mare which knocked him back?

When he starts he generally just recycles possession / presses so it’s kind of difficult for that to happen anyway. Which is by design / prevents the mare.

That’s a big ask to ask him to control the game like Dave does.

100%. If he's going to be a future starter, he needs exposure to all the associated knocks & setbacks a player can have. Even when we won 4 trophies last season, there were nervy moments. He needs to learn how to deal with them and that we win or lose as a team. At this age, it's as much about mentality as talent (arguably more so), so we need to get him playing and hungry, rather than impressing in training and then getting a couple of minutes here and there.

I am simply being devils advocate. I take onboard what you say and can see some logic in it. I also think we have fans/posters (maybe different), who cannot accept (or see any rationale into) Peps decisions, no matter what he does or who he selects, so he could for example, play Foden more often and then get laid into on here should it not work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.