Worried about the EDS

Someone I know said that Atalanta have arguably the best academy in Italy to be fair, but still...week in week out.

Someone I know said that Atalanta have arguably the best academy in Italy to be fair, but still...week in week out.

I've heard that said by Horncastle/Marcotti as well. Half the Milan sides seem to be former Atalanta academy products.

Only 1 in the current Italy squad though, and that's the 3rd/4th choice keeper.

Atalanta seem to be brushing most domestic opponents aside but only had 1 point from 2 games in UYL before today.
Our problems seem to run deeper than today’s poor result though.

Genuine question, in the last 10 years how many players have come through our academy and gone on to play regular football at a decent level? Not including players who were only here for a couple of years like Sancho and Matondo.

I've said this before but we increasingly look like the set up is built around finding players and then getting them out on loan before they hit 19/20. The PL2 is an under 23 competition and other clubs keep a team together up to around that age group to compete - the rags have loads of 22 / 23 year old players you have never heard of. We, rightly or wrongly, seem to think that is a waste of time and money and we look for players under 18 who might be worldies - bring them in for a year or two then look to loan them out into senior football (a lot a Girona and other linked clubs). This means we have much more churn in the youth set up and we seem to be moving them on from age 19/20 onwards. Denayer a classic example where he spent how many years out on loan and not in our youth set up.

When you look at Chelsea's academy and ours, if not the whole academy, than at least the 16+ part of the academy is being run pretty badly from what we see on the outside.

There's been 1 decent prospect through, and 1 who's done very well after leaving.

They never win the PL2, u18 league the Youth Cup or do well in Europe. There's no kids doing well in the championship or league 1 on loan like Chelsea have every year, there's almost no players who leave and succeed just below our level.

The people who do watch games constantly bemoan the terrible management of the older teams and the fact they seem to collapse to a defeat every other week suggests something is wrong.

For all the talk of building the best academy in the country, it's not delivering anything. Marquee sales of Sancho, Lopes, Angelino & Matondo suggest they're decent at finding 14/15 year olds and selling them 3 years later for a profit, but the hit rate is very low.

So not really surprised there's no coverage.
I'd say Dilrosun has done very well but has been unfortunate with injuries. Completely agree otherwise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.