Self service tills in supermarkets.

It’s not binary. You choose your way, I choose mine.

Main shop? Delivery, so some fcuker else can stagger up 20 steps to our front door laden with shopping bags.

Minor shop? Self-service till if available, although Aldi and Lidl are still behind the times.

If I want to have a deep and meaningful conversation, I can always come on here.... :(

There are some real dinosaurs in the world. Technology is exponential and we have never faced the changes coming on such a grand scale so quickly.
5 years- Driverless Cars = Uber and Taxi Drivers out of work in the next 5 years.
10 Years Driverless Trucks = Haulage drivers gone.
11 Years Road accidents all but wiped out - Paramedic numbers fall drastically = strain on blood banks reduced, world wide shortage of Organ donors (Yes road deaths account for a very large % of them)
15 Years Universal Basic Income introduced in many countries, Working hours drastically reduced, job share. No economy can survive with the collapse of the transport industry, none.
All that is just autonomous cars and the transport industry let alone other areas.

And some people won't use self service tills.

It's fuck all to do with being a dinosaur.
Technology is both wonderful,and terrifying in some instances.

As a customer I can choose where and how I spend my hard earned.
Same as everybody else.

I've just realised that the people here who refuse to use them are like the old people when I was a kid who still went to the cashier in the bank every time instead of going to the ATM.

Incidentally, after the ATM came out, cashier jobs didn't decrease and actually continued to rise. The reason was that it was now cheaper to operate a bank (you needed fewer cashiers per branch) so they opened more of them. It's not actually guaranteed that a new piece of technology will replace jobs, nor is it guaranteed that they won't, of course. They will probably make it cheaper to have more Tesco Metro style shops, for example, so we might see more of those smaller shops opening.

It's fuck all to do with being a dinosaur.
Technology is both wonderful,and terrifying in some instances.

As a customer I can choose where and how I spend my hard earned.
Same as everybody else.
Of course you are right but those who usually tend to fight change usually tend to be older and set in their ways. Their numbers are reduced every year through mortality leaving the change to become the norm.

When someone adopts a smug attitude whilst bragging (bragging ffs) "Never bin in t'Trafford Centre, it's a fuckin' nightmare", there is simply no point in asking how he knows if he's never been. From a derelict site to thousands of jobs is a good swap in my book.

The most annoying thing about this trend is the one initial benefit over a till of not having to queue has now largely gone due to less staff on tills and nearly everyone being herded into self service. I'd imagine even the potential benefit of being able to steal has been factored in by the saving in staff wages. Might have to start getting a kilo of fillet steak and using the bar code off a bag of onions at the till ;-)

The most annoying thing about this trend is the one initial benefit over a till of not having to queue has now largely gone due to less staff on tills and nearly everyone being herded into self service. I'd imagine even the potential benefit of being able to steal has been factored in by the saving in staff wages. Might have to start getting a kilo of fillet steak and using the bar code off a bag of onions at the till ;-)
No, no, no. You get a kilo of fillet steak and weigh it as loose onions. That way there's no weight discrepancy for the machine to pick up on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.