Patrick, homeless guy outside Asda

Some of these people already have that infrastructure, and have shelter, a second chance, and receive universal credit. Therefore I don't think they need to beg for money and I think it's immoral that they do when it diverts money away from people who don't have a roof over their heads.
What's immoral is lack of compassion. Don't lose that. I know most beggars have a tale and there's always some worse off than others, but I don't think it's a good idea to start picking and choosing between categories of beggar. It's a Daily Mail myth that the streets are paved with gold and that some are making hundreds of Pounds.

What's immoral is lack of compassion. Don't lose that. I know most beggars have a tale and there's always some worse off than others, but I don't think it's a good idea to start picking and choosing between categories of beggar. It's a Daily Mail myth that the streets are paved with gold and that some are making hundreds of Pounds.

Jokes aside - which I've now edited to make it easier for those unable to tell the difference between that and a serious comment, I've never lost my compassion for the homeless and I hope there's a good outcome for Patrick here (and I'm sure there will be).

My point about disliking the actions of people who fraudulently hold themselves out to be homeless when they've got the infrastructure to live by other means comes from a place of compassion btw: compassion for the homeless who miss out when someone who isn't homeless takes money away from them.

Anyway, we're taking the thread off topic anyway (I apologise for that Hammo) so let's leave it at that.

It's not a Daily Fail myth at all Marvin. There are plenty of chancers on the streets pal. However, there are too many genuine homeless too. Sometimes the bogus ones are convincing and they are a disgrace and a blight on genuine down and outs.

I remember a few years ago working in Newquay. I gave a despondent down on his luck(so I thought) type of guy 2 quid and asked him about his situation of him being homeless. We got chatting about this and that and told him I was working down there. He then turned to me and quietly whispered - "I'm not really hungry and homeless, I make up to £800 a week in the summer from people on holiday".. He thought it amusing.... "You fuckin' what, you cheeky ****, give me my 2 quid back now before a slap you". He did. I walked away fuckin' fuming that scumbags like him prey on decent folks guilty conscience hoodwinking them into parting with hard earned cash. And the sad thing is that many genuine homeless who aren't in your face beggers often go unnoticed when they are the ones needing help.

Even as a child we (My family) were taught by my grandad to give to homeless people when we could, making a point of upping our game in the winter was a priority too.

Really hate people who kick people when there already down on their luck, 2 minutes of your time for a chat to let these people know they are not worthless and people do care means a lot to some of these individuals. I for one will always have time for people less fortunate than myself shame on you that doesn't

Although well intentioned, is giving money to the homeless actually helping them?
First you have the fakers
Second organised gangs
Third drug adducts and alcoholics.
I was given advice a long time back not to give them money or food. You really are NOT helping the genuine homeless.
There is help available for them. Food and accommodation is on offer, with plenty of charities and volunteers.
The problem is for many different reasons (like mental health and addictions) they reject this help.
People kindly giving them money/food means they are not getting the professional help they actually need. So people are in fact prolonging their suffering.
What is needed is more government funding and more support for the charities involved.

Although well intentioned, is giving money to the homeless actually helping them?
First you have the fakers
Second organised gangs
Third drug adducts and alcoholics.
I was given advice a long time back not to give them money or food. You really are NOT helping the genuine homeless.
There is help available for them. Food and accommodation is on offer, with plenty of charities and volunteers.
The problem is for many different reasons (like mental health and addictions) they reject this help.
People kindly giving them money/food means they are not getting the professional help they actually need. So people are in fact prolonging their suffering.
What is needed is more government funding and more support for the charities involved.

So what is wrong with giving someone a coffe or sandwich, a lot of these charities can't accommodate people like patrick as theres more homless than beds available.
As for mental health appointments the waiting list is massive and i know this 1st hand

Patrick had been outside the Asda for every game over the past few seasons, come rain, shine, sleet or snow. As I mentioned last time he had taken quite a bad beating. Last night he wasn’t on his patch which was a bit upsetting as we were hoping he would be there, recovered and back to his old self.

Will see if he turns up on Saturday, if he’s not there does anyone know how we could enquire about his welfare? We’re concerned about him, he’s become part of our match day experience, always have a chat with him and leave him with a bit of money and a smile, thanks if anyone can help.

Does he have a white sign with black writing on it, that starts off with "My name is Patrick"? If so I walked past him in town this morning, he sits on the steps near Oxford Rd train station.

Does he have a white sign with black writing on it, that starts off with "My name is Patrick"? If so I walked past him in town this morning, he sits on the steps near Oxford Rd train station.
Not at City he doesn’t, he usually sits on the corner of Ashton New Road parallel to the Asda Entrance.

So what is wrong with giving someone a coffe or sandwich, a lot of these charities can't accommodate people like patrick as theres more homless than beds available.
As for mental health appointments the waiting list is massive and i know this 1st hand

Because doing so means they don’t seek the help they need. While they’re being fed, they have no need or desire to change anything.

This is not like many years a go when somebody was genuinely homeless with no help available. It is there, but is not always sought/wanted.
As for mental health care, as i said more funding needs to be given to address their needs better. It is probably the number one reason somebody is long term homeless.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.