Manchester Airport Parking Charge

rickmcfc

Good Morning bluemooners,

In all my time driving, I have never had a single parking ticket or charge notice. Last night I was collecting my mum from Manchester Airport and she was delayed over 3.5hrs. This involved a lot of sitting around and waiting for her to arrive. At 8pm I pulled up onto the Wythenshawe Estate to get a drink from a shop. I pulled up outside a house on Cornishway, near to the junction with Shadowmoss Rd to check my phone and the flight was on its final approach and due to land. I sat there for around 4/5 minutes when all of a sudden there was 3 bright flashes right in front of the car. To my amazement a parking officer (insert any expletives here) was stood there taking pictures of my car, he then sprinted away around 15 metres from the car and took another picture. I pulled up and asked him what on earth is he doing, his reply " you've got a parking ticket mate, you've been done". I Asked him what on earth is he talking about I wasn't parked, I was stopped at the side of the road for a few minutes. He started to print a ticket from a machine and he said "don't think about driving off I will just post it to you". I did drive off and I watched his walk off and he got into a van and drove off.

Has anyone got any experience of this sort of behaviour around the airport at all? For all he knew I could have been collecting something from a house I was parked outside. I'm fuming to say the least. I'm all for people who park in disabled/parent and child spaces to be given a ticket, but pulled up outside a house on a residential street for 5 minutes to check when a flight is due to land is absolutely ridiculous! Where I was parked isn't part of Manchester Airport or its boundaries, its a street around 1 mile from the airport.

In all my time driving, I have never had a single parking ticket or charge notice. Last night I was collecting my mum from Manchester Airport and she was delayed over 3.5hrs. This involved a lot of sitting around and waiting for her to arrive. At 8pm I pulled up onto the Wythenshawe Estate to get a drink from a shop. I pulled up outside a house on Cornishway, near to the junction with Shadowmoss Rd to check my phone and the flight was on its final approach and due to land. I sat there for around 4/5 minutes when all of a sudden there was 3 bright flashes right in front of the car. To my amazement a parking officer (insert any expletives here) was stood there taking pictures of my car, he then sprinted away around 15 metres from the car and took another picture. I pulled up and asked him what on earth is he doing, his reply " you've got a parking ticket mate, you've been done". I Asked him what on earth is he talking about I wasn't parked, I was stopped at the side of the road for a few minutes. He started to print a ticket from a machine and he said "don't think about driving off I will just post it to you". I did drive off and I watched his walk off and he got into a van and drove off.

Has anyone got any experience of this sort of behaviour around the airport at all? For all he knew I could have been collecting something from a house I was parked outside. I'm fuming to say the least. I'm all for people who park in disabled/parent and child spaces to be given a ticket, but pulled up outside a house on a residential street for 5 minutes to check when a flight is due to land is absolutely ridiculous! Where I was parked isn't part of Manchester Airport or its boundaries, its a street around 1 mile from the airport.
What signs and road markings are there in the area? Does it say "no parking" or "no stopping"?

Double Yellow. I was pulled up with hazard lights on. The only sign that there says no stopping Mon- Fri 7.30am - 5pm. This was 7.30pm last night.
No waiting at any time on double yellows unless there's a "seasonal" difference indicated on a sign ("dates/periods" not a "time" difference). If it's single yellows then that means there are permitted "times". Loading and unloading restrictions should be controlled by marks on the kerb, if there are double yellow lines on the kerb it means no unloading at any time, single lines means "time" restrictions as per the sign. You CAN drop off passengers and allow them to board but 4 mins would be pushing it.

I would go with the excuse that the red engine management light came on and you had to stop (hazard lights correctly switched on) to check your user's manual and was in the process of doing so when the light went off and you deemed it safe to drive it. Unless you are sure they didn't observe you for x minutes and the signs and markings are in your favour.

No waiting at any time on double yellows unless there's a "seasonal" difference indicated on a sign ("dates/periods" not a "time" difference). If it's single yellows then that means there are permitted "times". Loading and unloading restrictions should be controlled by marks on the kerb, if there are double yellow lines on the kerb it means no unloading at any time, single lines means "time" restrictions as per the sign. You CAN drop off passengers and allow them to board but 4 mins would be pushing it.

I would go with the excuse that the red engine management light came on and you had to stop (hazard lights correctly switched on) to check your user's manual and was in the process of doing so when the light went off and you deemed it safe to drive it. Unless you are sure they didn't observe you for x minutes and the signs and markings are in your favour.

Thanks, you sound like you've done this before lol

Thanks, you sound like you've done this before lol
Just a quick google of the highway code to check but I personally never stop on any yellow (or red line) ever because it is so confusing these days. In your case I think you'll have to suck it up, but saying you had a technical fault might lead them to rescind the ticket even if they're not obliged to.

It's a bloody minefield round the airport and I've been 'chased off' by those pesky wardens myself. If you slow down to less than 5mph they're on your tail! I never pick anyone up from there any more, it's not worth it.

You should have jumped out of the car, pulled the carjack out of the boot and stoved his head in with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.