Ayres Rock (Uluru).....Australia

So where is the respect for me if i wish to climb a natural monument? Religion is all bollocks and things like this show how indoctrinated some people are.

If 'God' put it there what's to say 'he' didn't want people to climb it? It's nothing to with 'God' but someone wanting to feel all powerful.
I suppose the fact that the aborigines have lived there for 50,000 years, and that it's their land and their rock, didn't enter your head. They own the fucking thing.

Remind me to bring my climbing boots and crampons next time i go past your house. I hear the view is lovely up on the roof and if I fancy a dump whilst I am at it, no problem. Sure you'd respect my right to take a dump.

Yep, i'm not religious although i was brought up as a Catholic, only at 12/13 were we given a choice as whether we wanted to continue going to church as we all declined, yet i've since been to Rome, visited the Vatican and can admire all the fantastic work there, and was extremely respectful while being there. However i still am able to be critical of the fact this establishment has the begging bowl out at every service yet could probably wipe out the worlds debt if they decided to sell all of the antiques they currently hold.

Anyone who hasn't been i'd highly recommend it.
I’m not religious at all but I love churches, St Peters is a staggering building , one of the few that leaves a lasting impression.

I think it's disrespectful to the indigenous aborigines of Australia for tourists (or anyone) to climb Ayers Rock (Uluru). They have suffered some 200 years of racism oppression poverty unemployment and been made to feel 3rd class citizens in their own country! I too think all religion is bollocks but to aborigines it is spiritual and sacred. I get that, it's their land and has been for many thousands of years.

I love climbing for the adrenaline rush exhilaration and feeling as free as a bird, but out of respect I wouldn't want to climb there for a sense of achievement.

This song kind of sums things up I think.

The only way for us to be alone
Into the earth and in the stone
When you wanna be on your own, is dreamtime

I am there in the rock
From the start of the total clock
All of my dreams can interlock, in dreamtime

Share my dreamtime
Share my dreamtime

To be there everyday
Letting curiousity point the way
Never felt I had a pleasant stay, in dreamtime

The sites are there before the eyes
History is crystallised
Every place has got a special size, in dreamtime

Share my dreamtime
Share my dreamtime
Share my dream
We won't have to touch
We won't say too much
The only thing for us to do
Is walk about and then appreciate the view

Aside from the religious/cultural significance, climbers are damaging and eroding the rock. They also shit and piss all over it because there aren't any toilets. That shit and piss eventually runs off and contaminates the land and the watering holes. It's a damaging practice and it seems a reasonable request to put an end to it.

Also, as a quick aside, a couple of people have used the term "aborigine" in this thread but just as an FYI that's considered a racist and derogatory term in Australia so it's best to stick to "Aboriginal".

Last edited:
Do you think respect is bollocks as well?

Yes when it means making a mountain/hill off limits. Religion deserves absolutely no respect at all, for me to make an exception only for the aboriginal people of Australia would be make no sense. Why should anyone respect someone’s completely illogical man made construct? I believe religion to be a huge blight, if not a cancer, on humanity.

So no, no respect for religion. Be it Christian, Jew, Muslim, Australian Aboriginal. Can’t stand the fucking thing.

Having just caught up with this thread, I have to say I am just staggered at what completely shit attitude so many people seem to have. Sod everyone else, just so long as I get to do what I want to do, seems to be a recurring theme. Quite a depressing read tbh. Is this what we have become in modern society? No wonder we have so many issues.

Diddums.

And what does “what have we become in modern society” mean in this context? Talk about fanny wobbling hyperbole. Some people on this thread don’t believe that one set of people’s illogical belief should trump their right to experience natural wonders of the world as they would have been able to last week? Will that view realistically effect a single fucking person in the real world? No.

Would you prefer that no one was honest or checked in with you first of all before posting on Bluemoon? Dry your fanny and come down a few levels. Or, and this would be fun, let me know how believing that people should still be able to trek up Uluru (as they’ve been able to every previous day of your life), would create an issue in your society?

Last edited:
Why does anyone need to climb it anyway, not like there is any fucking scenery to look at from the top.

It is hardly the penines, alp, machu pichu or himalayas, it's surrounded by a dusty desert and australia.

Leave it be and let it remain sacred

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.