Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 Villa counterattacks today came from him getting to the first Villa player with the ball and Ilkay pulling out of the tackle, one of them lead to Fernandinho's yellow card, on tuesday it lead to the penalty.

I like him, I think he does everything else in the role well, but until he starts making those tackles where he either wins the ball back or takes the player down, we will give up too many chances with him there.
He did that part of the game better when he had a long spell in that position last season. Maybe needs a game or 2 to drop the nonchalance in those situations.
Brilliant as a deep playmaker though. And closes the spaces and passing lanes really well too.

and still he gets pelters,what the fuck is up with bluemoon,he was excellent today,but people pick out things,looking for him to fuck up,they all made mistakes today, gindo was motm

I thought he played well but you must be able to see that we are far more susceptible to the counter than we have been for a long time? It’s not all his fault, I think this season we have been far more sloppy giving the ball away in the final 3rd, which leaves us wide open to countered on, especially given Gundogan doesn’t have the same defensive qualities as Fern in that position.

He did, but it's the ones he misses. It's not a part of the game where 7/10 is good enough because the 3 he doesn't do could easily end up in us conceding.
Fair point but our defence has looked equally as exposed with Rodri in that position. We may just need to accept that there probably isn't anyone in world football as good at that role as Fernandinho besides Kanté.

Fair point but our defence has looked equally as exposed with Rodri in that position. We may just need to accept that there probably isn't anyone in world football as good at that role as Fernandinho besides Kanté.

I agree but that worries me. Surely when you have the best CDM in world football for your style of play, you try to replicate his attributes when looking to replace him? Rodri has started well but he is a completely different player to Fern.

Our defence looked exposed primarely because they exposed themselves by individual mistakes and wayward passes.
Rodri has been nothing short of brilliant.
People are just looking for a reason why we looked a vunerable and have a tendency to start looking at what's new or has changed.
Doesn't make it true.

Still moaning? Wow. "He did well, BUT...".

He isn't supposed to be the best DM or CM in the world, is he? He is supposed to do a job there. Which he is doing quite well.

I agree but that worries me. Surely when you have the best CDM in world football for your style of play, you try to replicate his attributes when looking to replace him? Rodri has started well but he is a completely different player to Fern.
I think he'll be fine, every player has needed time to adjust under Pep. Once Laporte is back and we have a settled defence that should help too.

Some have pinned their colours to the mast sadly.
I honestly don't see a problem if people want to analyze a players game. I don't think we should be so upset about that, it seems like what a forum should be about.

BUT... we need to be consistent and have the same standards, perhaps Gundogan wasn't perfect in his interceptions (I think he still did well), but everything else he did was really good, and I would say Rodri also hasn't been as good as Dinho at interceptions (almost nobody is) so the standard is probably unfair to begin with. He has other qualities that are better.

Reactions: cjn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.