Happy Diwali!!!

Wishing all you guys and our loved club a very happy diwali !!

Editing the original post for background

Diwali also known as Deepavali and the "festival of lights", is an ancient Hindu festival celebrated in autumn every year.The festival spiritually signifies the victory of light over darkness, knowledge over ignorance, good over evil, and hope over despair.
Its biggest festival in India.

Was curious if its celebrated in UK an found below-
In Britain, ppl celebrate Diwali with great enthusiasm. People clean and decorate their homes with lamps and candles. A popular type of candle is a diya. People also give each other sweets such as laddoo and barfi, and the different communities may gather for a religious ceremony and get-together. It is also an important time to contact family in India and perhaps exchange gifts.

The festival of Diwali has begun to find acceptance into the broader British national consciousness as more non-Hindus appreciate and celebrate Hinduism on this occasion.[64][65] Over the past decade national and civic leaders such as Prince Charles have attended Diwali celebrations at some of UK’s prominent Hindu temples, such as the Swaminarayan Temple in Neasden, using the occasion to commend the Hindu community’s contributions to British life.[66][67][68] In 2013, Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife joined thousands of worshipers at the BAPS Swaminarayan Mandir in Neasden to celebrate Diwali and the Annakut festival marking the Hindu New Year.[69] Since 2009, Diwali has been celebrated every year at 10 Downing Street, the residence of the British Prime Minister.[70] The yearly celebration, begun by Gordon Brown and continued by David Cameron is one of the most anticipated events hosted by the British Prime Minister.[71]

Leicester plays hosts to some of the biggest Diwali celebrations outside of India.[72]

I spent six months in Arpora in India a few years ago and was invited to these celebrations to the local temple after I visited it. It was a lovely experience and I was taken in by the local people who all welcomed me.

There is a little bar mainly for local people in Arpora that after this, when I was going home many a night, I would be noticed, asked into and most of my hangovers were a direct result of accepting their welcome to join them.

I took my guitar a few times and they were that nice they never told me how unbelievably bang average I was. For that alone, I loved them all. :)

Maybe they didn’t think you were that good.
There is always that. I think they were just being nice. I'm so loveable they forgave me and also the 250 years we stole all their money. I should be a diplomat really. We have had enough ex Eton/Harrow, Oxbridge educated toffs making everybody think we are spineless entitled cunts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.