Aston Villa (H) Post-Match Thread

I thought Villa did okay. They started off attacking but then began to get pinned back as we gained control. The first half was frustrating but even then we should have been 2-0, okay maybe 2-1 as they had a good chance due to Stones setting their player up. We really have to start putting these very good chances away as it makes for a much harder afternoon if we don't. Once we scored their heads went down a bit which is why early goals are so valuable in such games.

Gundo, Cancello, Raheem and Eddie all had good games, Jesus plenty of effort and presses well. The rest average but our players average is enough to beat most teams. Stones still worries me as his awful pass confirmed my fears about him. Four years here and he is still making those mistakes. A top class centre back is needed asap to partner Laporte. Fernas second yellow was absolutely stupid with minutes to go and 3-0 up, perhaps he wanted a rest lol.

We just have to dig in there and keep the gap as low as possible until we get some bodies back and hopefully really push on. At the moment it is hard work but given all our injuries I am not surprised.

On the Villa fans, I queued up for the bus with about eight of their older fans. They all said they and every other football fan wants us to win the title. They did add not for any great love for us, they just hate the dippers lol! They were complimentary about us but moaned about var robbing them, while admitting we would still have won. I told them welcome to the club.

Common sense from someone who can see what happened.. But even in real time I thought Sterling standing in front of the keeper had to be blocking his view of the ball, so no goal.

Sterling was standing in front of the keeper. You'd certainly expect the keeper to save De Bruyne's "shot" if Sterling wasn't there. As VAR ruled that Silva didn't touch the ball, Sterling could have diverted the ball past the keeper without being offside. But from every TV angle I've seen he was "preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision" (but that only matters if Silva got a touch).

He deserved to go. I knew 10 seconds before the foul he would do that. He knows better than to have done that.

Grealish should have gone also.

I’m more annoyed over how blatant it is with var. They are desperately using it against City now. There for all to see.
How was VAR used against us yesterday?

Only just watched the match.

Better 2nd half. Sterling and Gundogan were fantastic.

Grealish commits foul after foul and no 2nd yellow. Fernandinho commits two fouls and is sent off. Ridiculous.
To be fair, its been coming for Fernandinho, first booking fair enough but second one i thought was just their player getting his leg tangled and tripping himself up, or is Ferdi that clever and just runs so close to him he can't help but get his legs tangled? Didn't think it was a booking though. So although its been coming, today wasn't it. No discussion of the foul and sending off though on MOTD? yet it was a talking point. Perhaps they want to show how we were lucky with VAR today?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.