Betting shops

Very much doubt betting shops will exists in ten years.

Bookies are disappearing at a fast rate now the roulette machines are all changed. They used to be packed with people playing them, now they are empty. Won’t be many left in a few years.
Numbers of Bookmakers were steadily in decline from the mid to late 70’s onwards. As you say the machines changed all that, a maximum of 4 per shop meant they just opened more shops in close proximity. The recent legislation has changed that and over the next couple of years the numbers will be significantly less. The FOBT machines were dubbed the “crack cocaine” of gambling but they were also used for money laundering of drugs cash, that’s the real reason the Government has acted. Legitimate punters can just go on line and gamble what they want, no laundering there. The increase in virtual betting is also popular as a tool to launder money, the profit is significantly less than on sports events and is driven by a random number generator (like FOBT machines).

Social interaction in a bookies? I've not popped into one for years to be fair but when I used to pop in to place my bets there was no social interaction to be seen.

Just a few old, scruffy looking blokes reading the form and some nut job on the fobt muttering to himself. Then some non interested middle aged woman behind the screen to take your slip and money off you without a hint of interaction whilst doing so.

The worst thing on the high street. Sorry to piss on the party. Gambling is for losers and if interaction in a bookies is what your after then your life has probably sunk to real low.

The worst thing on the high street. Sorry to piss on the party. Gambling is for losers and if interaction in a bookies is what your after then your life has probably sunk to real low.

Gambling and the TV are the 2 main movers in the EPL, the TV companies want liverpool to win the EPL Gambling does not it will lose a fortune, hence Leicester , the last time the bookies raked it in,there to muddy the water and appease the bookies , so get down there and put your house on liverpool and get every one you know to do the same, if you hear a scouser saying they are going to win the league agree with them
I know this is the wrong subject but if we do nothing the FA will carry on.

I go to the bookies on a Saturday when not working,used to have the paddy power app as well for online bets but it’s far to easy to keep doing bets with that so fucked it off,just like the fact I do my bets go home and if they get beat so be it no lifting iPad to try and chase what I’ve lost which to be fair isn’t much anyhow as I’ve stopped doing the horses,football only now along with my Irish lotto numbers...

Not really. If a bunch of old blokes enjoy meeting up having a chat and doing the horses why does that mean they’re a low life ?

I was a Ladbrokes betting shop manager in the late 80's. In at 9. Papers up. Open at 10.

Had one bloke in every day at 9.45. Old boy, pocket of 50p's. On the nose for every dog race in the morning. If he won he'd stay for the horses. Was his life. Never spoke to anyone.

Chinese bloke from next door trying to put 100 quid on the nose on a horse. Had to ring up head office to see if they would cover it. More often than not they said no.

It was the days before machines. Before the internet. Very busy at weekends, not so during the week.

The same people in the same stools doing the same bets.

And it was horrible. I saw couples arguing, fighting about money. Old men with fuck all willing on a horse. There was no glamour, or perceived like it is today, just people with addiction not coping very well.

Dress it up like it is today, all celebrities, odds changing every minute, adverts, options, apps etc etc but it still is an industry that profits from an illness.

And football is in league with them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.