Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have always identified a player who's the go to scapegoat. Despite his quality, he is it. Fortunately, we have the world's best manager picking the team and he clearly thinks that Gundogan is a top player, which he is.

My man of the match but I still have questions about him defensively. I'm not sure if that will get fixed, given that he seems to have so little natural aggression but he'll thrive in games like yesterday when the opposition are too concerned with marking our attacking players to press Ilkay and cut off passing routes to him.

He's an absolute joy to watch when he's got space and his eye for a pass is better than his rivals in the team.

This is the role Pep desperately wanted him for and it's a role he can grow into, despite him approaching thirty. A bit more bite and he'd be irreplaceable, especially while Rodri is still adjusting to the team.

Gundogan is a much better positive forward passer of the ball than Rodri. And we’re a team who wants our deep lying midfielder to play these positive forward passes.

I’ve been fairly unimpressed with Rodri at times so to say he’s better than Gundo is a stretch, never mind considerably better.

Plus Gundo was arguably our best player in the second half of last season. We played some decent sides and had big games in that time and he did well in all of them. Was our best player against Spurs in the home CL game.

Fernandinho is the best of the three but then he’s been one of the best players for us in his time here.

Love this post. What I really love about Klopp is he pushes edges to the max in terms of chance creation at every position and it's something I wish we did more of from our deeper role. Rodri isn't worried in the slightest at doing that (not a shot at him for it either, we play differently) whereas Gundogan seems hungry and eager to set up big chances or create them himself at the moment. You can tell his confidence is as high as it's ever been whereas he seems timid and unsure quite often playing as an 8.

Honestly, he's one of the ones I'm looking forward to watching the most going into each match which is credit to him.

It's going to be a fun thread once Rodri comes back and he reverts to being shit in the 8 role! :-)

Ilkay was bossing midfield 2nd half, he was the metronome and director.

When he plays as an 8 there is 1 problem: he is not there as a 6.
Neither Fern nor Rodri can boss creative mid from the 6 like Ilkay does.

But against stronger sides Fern and Rodri are key as defensive players, where Ilkay may have problems.

In all matches vs deep sitting sides Ilkay is reading the game so well, always head up, initiating our attacks.

Like any player KDB included he can have poor games. But Gundogan is the go to moan when the team isn't performing in a game. Fans need to take their 'Glory glasses' off and see the quality in his game.

I wasn't sure if you were referring to the Gundogan playing at 8 moaners or the DM moaners so I guess inherently that goes to show there's got to be some flaws if two overlapping factions both have problems with him.

It took four seasons but it looks like Pep finally found out his most optimal position according to his skill set and the team around him. If you're going to make up for the defensive efficiency issues then you start by creating chances from a deeper role that most DM's can't make if not then what the hell is point of having him out there? I think lately he's been doing that and doing it really well.

If he's going to be making the passes / plays that Rodri does then it's a complete waste of a talented player and turns into an average/poor one. He seems very confident and sure of himself now and I can easily see improved performances coming from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.