Betting shops

I was a Ladbrokes betting shop manager in the late 80's. In at 9. Papers up. Open at 10.

Had one bloke in every day at 9.45. Old boy, pocket of 50p's. On the nose for every dog race in the morning. If he won he'd stay for the horses. Was his life. Never spoke to anyone.

Chinese bloke from next door trying to put 100 quid on the nose on a horse. Had to ring up head office to see if they would cover it. More often than not they said no.

It was the days before machines. Before the internet. Very busy at weekends, not so during the week.

The same people in the same stools doing the same bets.

And it was horrible. I saw couples arguing, fighting about money. Old men with fuck all willing on a horse. There was no glamour, or perceived like it is today, just people with addiction not coping very well.

Dress it up like it is today, all celebrities, odds changing every minute, adverts, options, apps etc etc but it still is an industry that profits from an illness.

And football is in league with them.

Christ I bet you saw some sights,a lot more than you already mentioned as well,they are coming to an end though I reckon

Gambling and the TV are the 2 main movers in the EPL, the TV companies want liverpool to win the EPL Gambling does not it will lose a fortune, hence Leicester , the last time the bookies raked it in,there to muddy the water and appease the bookies , so get down there and put your house on liverpool and get every one you know to do the same, if you hear a scouser saying they are going to win the league agree with them
I know this is the wrong subject but if we do nothing the FA will carry on.
Ridiculous to link betting companies with the outcome of the Premier League, you are miles off the mark.

Not really. If a bunch of old blokes enjoy meeting up having a chat and doing the horses why does that mean they’re a low life ?

Because in 2019 where everyone on social media has to have a strong opinion everything is either 'right or wrong'.

The word balanced seems to be long forgotten.

Most bookies shops are cess pits, designed to relieve the most vulnerable in society of their hard earned cash.

Our local bookmakers (plural) are hang outs and meeting places for drug dealers.

What do you prefer
Going to the bookies to put your bet on or bet online in the comfort of your own house . I prefer to go to the bookies when I’m back home as I like the social interaction.
as long as the interaction isn't in a dark alley with tire iron wielding Moose and Rocco.

The worst thing on the high street. Sorry to piss on the party. Gambling is for losers and if interaction in a bookies is what your after then your life has probably sunk to real low.
A little bit different but what about Poker? That's gambling. Who the hell doesn't like a nice friendly home game with a few bevy's and 6 to 8 buddies?

Bookies are disappearing at a fast rate now the roulette machines are all changed. They used to be packed with people playing them, now they are empty. Won’t be many left in a few years.

Won’t be many left in a few year
What's the odds on that

A little bit different but what about Poker? That's gambling. Who the hell doesn't like a nice friendly home game with a few bevy's and 6 to 8 buddies?
Poker was designated a game of skill by a US Court in 2012. There is an element of luck in any poker game but the fact there are Poker Professionals who earn their living from the game confirms the skill element.

Other gambling like slots, bingo and roulette are pure gambling games, there are no professionals making a living from those as they are a game of chance not skill.

I was a Ladbrokes betting shop manager in the late 80's. In at 9. Papers up. Open at 10.

Had one bloke in every day at 9.45. Old boy, pocket of 50p's. On the nose for every dog race in the morning. If he won he'd stay for the horses. Was his life. Never spoke to anyone.

Chinese bloke from next door trying to put 100 quid on the nose on a horse. Had to ring up head office to see if they would cover it. More often than not they said no.

It was the days before machines. Before the internet. Very busy at weekends, not so during the week.

The same people in the same stools doing the same bets.

And it was horrible. I saw couples arguing, fighting about money. Old men with fuck all willing on a horse. There was no glamour, or perceived like it is today, just people with addiction not coping very well.

Dress it up like it is today, all celebrities, odds changing every minute, adverts, options, apps etc etc but it still is an industry that profits from an illness.

And football is in league with them.
I joined William Hill as a shop manager in 1980 and finished 1989. I saw some desperate punters but it depended on the shop location.

London Road Piccadilly was a far different demographic from the Benchill shop in Wythenshawe.

However, in the nine years I worked for Hills I can honestly say there was relatively few disagreements in the shops even in some of the most deprived areas, most punters were friendly regulars who you got to know.

As for Ladbrokes refusing a £100 bet from a regular there has had to be more to it. At William Hill the bet would have been taken without referring to Head Office unless it was a “stranger” placing a bet to win more than £500 or it was a non horse racing wager. One of the regulars who came the the Burnage shop I managed was allowed to place whatever bet he wanted as he was a “losing client”. He was the biggest punter in Greater Manchester doing his cash on a regular basis. One Saturday alone late 80’s losing around £40k which was in the Stationery cupboard waiting to be picked up by Security

It’s not an Industry I’d like to work in now, drug money laundering, open at night and Epos machines controlling everything from calculating bets, cash flow and handling liabilities. There used to be characters on both sides of the counter but not any more.

Btw, the extra marital shagging amongst the staff was off the scale, working in close proximity and then when the shop closed the opportunity was there, it was rife but also quite a lot met their lifetime partners there as well.

As for Ladbrokes refusing a £100 bet from a regular there has had to be more to it. At William Hill the bet would have been taken without referring to Head Office unless it was a “stranger” placing a bet to win more than £500 or it was a non horse racing wager.

He used to try and put it on the nose on high odd horses. 25/1 and upwards. usually they said no but on occasion he was allowed.

Did you use to wander into the other shops to put a bet on to see how many slips they had shifted in a week? The 2 other bookies in the small town I worked used to do it as well, in the end we just used to meet in the pub with a slip each and have a beer.

We also had loads of cash just sitting around. And yes, being a single-ish man at the time meant a few of the cashiers were fair game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.