NFL Football

would love to get into NFL but I need to understand the rules first before I even contemplate watching it, can anyone help? I'm not looking for anyone to explain it to me, but does anyone know of any good website tutorials, books or the like that will explain it in easy to understand terminology? Ive tried before but had to google all the bloody words they were using to just explain something.

Also, who's the most City-like team? I've had Raiders tops in the past just because they look mean and Icecube supports them

would love to get into NFL but I need to understand the rules first before I even contemplate watching it, can anyone help? I'm not looking for anyone to explain it to me, but does anyone know of any good website tutorials, books or the like that will explain it in easy to understand terminology? Ive tried before but had to google all the bloody words they were using to just explain something.

Also, who's the most City-like team? I've had Raiders tops in the past just because they look mean and Icecube supports them

If you’re looking for Swales-era City then you can’t go wrong with the Browns.
Not sure who’d be a more modern-era City equivalent. Chiefs, Seahawks, Packers??
Ones to definitely avoid though; Patriots=rags; Cowboys=dippers.

If you’re looking for Swales-era City then you can’t go wrong with the Browns.
Not sure who’d be a more modern-era City equivalent. Chiefs, Seahawks, Packers??
Ones to definitely avoid though; Patriots=rags; Cowboys=dippers.

Behave! You couldn't get more like City, than the Patriots. Absolute disaster for years winning nothing with a crumbling stadium, then get an owner with a bit of clout and financial backing, headed up by the best coach in the game and turn into this dominant force that competes for the top prize year after year (winning many of them), whilst also being hated by the fanbase of every other team out of nothing more than pure jealousy.

Steelers are the rags - most successful franchise for years with the most titles, love to laud it over everyone and still think they're the best now (even though they're shite) and believe it's only a matter of time till they're back where they belong.

You were right about the Cowboys being the dippers though, can't argue with that one!

The simplest way I can explain it is this;

The goal is to score a touchdown by crossing the touchdown line (kind of like a try in Rugby).

Each possession a team gets 4 attempts to gain a minimum of 10 yards (this is usually marked on your television screen with a yellow line). When you hear commentators talking "moving the chains" this is what they're referring to - there is a red piece of metal literally with chains marking the 10 yard distance from where the play starts and they shuffle it along the sideline each time a team gains 10 yards to make the new 10 yard distance.

There are two methods of playing offense - passing (fulfilled by the quarterback) and running (fulfilled by the running backs).

There a 3 team units on each side - offense, defense and special teams - the first two are pretty self explanatory, the special teams is made up of players fulfilling a variety of functions such a kicking a field goal, punting, returning a punt etc.

Speaking of field goals - there are two main methods of scoring, a touchdown or a field goal. Teams usually elect for a field goal when they're on their 4th attempt and they're close enough for a kicker to come and score (this gets you 3 points - a touchdown usually gets you 7).

Punting is when a team failed to get 10 yards o the first 3 attempts and they're kicking the ball back as far as they can into opposition territory (if you try to go for a normal play and fail to get to the 10 yard line on the 4th attempt, the other teams start their possession from that spot, which is usually pretty close to your own touchdown line, hence why teams usually punt it as far as they can.

These are the basic things I can think of - I've added a link on things like how defensive and offensive teams set up and the different roles some of the positions within those team units.

I can't think of the most 'City-like' team, but I would suggest that you just sit and watch the games on Sundays and allow yourself to gravitate to whichever team catches your attention. I initially "chose" to support Jacksonville Jaguars because of their UK connection and 2 of my friends were Jags fans, but I was quickly drawn to New Orleans Saints as soon as I started watching the games on my own :)

The simplest way I can explain it is this;

The goal is to score a touchdown by crossing the touchdown line (kind of like a try in Rugby).

Each possession a team gets 4 attempts to gain a minimum of 10 yards (this is usually marked on your television screen with a yellow line). When you hear commentators talking "moving the chains" this is what they're referring to - there is a red piece of metal literally with chains marking the 10 yard distance from where the play starts and they shuffle it along the sideline each time a team gains 10 yards to make the new 10 yard distance.

There are two methods of playing offense - passing (fulfilled by the quarterback) and running (fulfilled by the running backs).

There a 3 team units on each side - offense, defense and special teams - the first two are pretty self explanatory, the special teams is made up of players fulfilling a variety of functions such a kicking a field goal, punting, returning a punt etc.

Speaking of field goals - there are two main methods of scoring, a touchdown or a field goal. Teams usually elect for a field goal when they're on their 4th attempt and they're close enough for a kicker to come and score (this gets you 3 points - a touchdown usually gets you 7).

Punting is when a team failed to get 10 yards o the first 3 attempts and they're kicking the ball back as far as they can into opposition territory (if you try to go for a normal play and fail to get to the 10 yard line on the 4th attempt, the other teams start their possession from that spot, which is usually pretty close to your own touchdown line, hence why teams usually punt it as far as they can.

These are the basic things I can think of - I've added a link on things like how defensive and offensive teams set up and the different roles some of the positions within those team units.

I can't think of the most 'City-like' team, but I would suggest that you just sit and watch the games on Sundays and allow yourself to gravitate to whichever team catches your attention. I initially "chose" to support Jacksonville Jaguars because of their UK connection and 2 of my friends were Jags fans, but I was quickly drawn to New Orleans Saints as soon as I started watching the games on my own :)

cheers mate this is really helpful. i'll watch the video later!

49'ers 7-0!!

WTF is going on!!

I watched that one, all 3 phases are just dominant, really strong, great team spirit and just devastating. Panthers aren't the best, but they really struggled to get anything going.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.