John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Stones got all the players together at the final whistle in the centre circle yesterday and got them all to applaud the East Stand.

I don’t know why just the East Stand but it was a bit of leadership from him to show some appreciation towards the fans.

I know our block were very supportive of Cancelo when he was on our side of the pitch in the second half, maybe it was that, or maybe it was just a token gesture but I thought it was good to see.

I don’t agree.

I think he’s a cracking player, it’s his fitness that’s the issue. If he can just have two seasons injury free in a row, he’d be one of the best around.

When Kun comes back from injury he always takes a few games to get back into the swing. Stones has had a few injuries now but is expected to just slot straight in and be right on it.
All ifs and buts. He doesn’t stay fit and then needs forever to come back. Every game has a brain fart. Not good enough.

I don’t agree.

I think he’s a cracking player, it’s his fitness that’s the issue. If he can just have two seasons injury free in a row, he’d be one of the best around.

When Kun comes back from injury he always takes a few games to get back into the swing. Stones has had a few injuries now but is expected to just slot straight in and be right on it.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I reckon Stones is a bit more aggressive than when he first arrived.

I wonder if Pep thinks Stones has improved. Perhaps the improvements in his game are less obvious than they might be in other players as he was one of those who had such an air of quality about him.

When Pep came I commented that it would make or break certain players. Clearly Sterling has transformed his game under Pep .Sadly Stones with loss of form,injury etc is harder to judge but frankly I see no improvement at all. He is slow over the ground ,shows poor judgement,is subject to frequently dropping bollocks . At dead ball situations he doesn't even mark anybody and is weaker in the air defensively than in the opposition box where he shows strength. . Would he get in Liverpool's side-not a chance..He has more in common with Phil Jones than Van Dick. City need to swiftly move on .Time should be called on Project Stones...

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I reckon Stones is a bit more aggressive than when he first arrived.

I wonder if Pep thinks Stones has improved. Perhaps the improvements in his game are less obvious than they might be in other players as he was one of those who had such an air of quality about him.
Pep hit the nail on the head at his presser on Friday when asked, ‘ what will it take for John Stones to become the first choice center back at City as he has hardly started since February.’ Pep’s reply, ‘he has to be fit first.’ I’m paraphrasing but he is right, until he gets a good run injury free how the fuck can he hold down a place, I cannot for the life of me see why people can’t see that.

I haven't given up on him but think this is his last chance. He needs to grab control of this defence and lead it until Laporte gets back. Fernandinho is learning a new position, Cancelo adapting to a new team and country, Walker and Mendy need to focus on their own games, the responsibility is on Stones and it's time to sink or swim.

Sorry for the terrible pun.

I haven't given up on him but think this is his last chance. He needs to grab control of this defence and lead it until Laporte gets back. Fernandinho is learning a new position, Cancelo adapting to a new team and country, Walker and Mendy need to focus on their own games, the responsibility is on Stones and it's time to sink or swim.

Sorry for the terrible pun.

He needs a run of games because when he does he starts to look the player we thought we bought but then he gets injured and it starts all over again.

When Pep came I commented that it would make or break certain players. Clearly Sterling has transformed his game under Pep .Sadly Stones with loss of form,injury etc is harder to judge but frankly I see no improvement at all. He is slow over the ground ,shows poor judgement,is subject to frequently dropping bollocks . At dead ball situations he doesn't even mark anybody and is weaker in the air defensively than in the opposition box where he shows strength. . Would he get in Liverpool's side-not a chance..He has more in common with Phil Jones than Van Dick. City need to swiftly move on .Time should be called on Project Stones...

I agree with this; he’s simply not developed in his 3 and a half years, and seems mentally weak. Since Laporte came in as a more experienced accomplished version of himself, he’s gone back into his shell, having started 2017/18 quite well.

He’s perhaps unfortunate that he’s never played under a pragmatic manager who’s proven himself capable of improving defenders; Pique accredits his time spent under Ferguson at United and learning from Vidic and Ferdinand for the development of his defensive game. Kompany had Mancini, as did Boateng (who was an established international and European Cup winner before working with Pep, yet many still reference him as a Guardiola project player....). If he’d have moved to Chelsea in 2015, he’d have worked under Mourinho and then Conte, two coaches who primarily define and pride themselves on their defensive solidity, and likely become the player we all hoped he’d be.

In reality, all he’s had is Pep and Pep-lite Martinez complimenting him on the size of his balls when he makes schoolboy errors; it’s even a shame for him that his time working with Moyes and Allardyce was so short lived - two primitives who could have instilled the basics as a solid foundation for the obvious elite attributes he has with the ball. But in reality now, I think the ship has sailed for him.

The decision now for the club is whether to cut losses and get him out before his value further diminishes, or just keep him about until THB and Garcia mature enough be upgrades on him - which probably won’t take too long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.