Donating Blood. Anybody done it?

mcfc2112 said:
CTID1988 said:
AlexWilliamsGloves said:
did you collapse?

Ha, no mate. But i did feel pretty faint and they made me lie down for 5 minutes after it! They said it probably wouldnt happen the nesxt time i did it, buti think thats them just trying to get me to go back!
I will be definitely going again and encourage anybody who can donate to do it. I was in and out in 20-30 minutes, well worth it

Good effort mate!

Where was it you "gave"? Is it down the side of Tesco on Market Street?

Yeah, thats the one. Norfolk House i think its called

CTID1988 said:
Im going tomorrow for the first time, thought id do my bit!
Just wondered if anybody knows what happens, how long il be in there exactly etc.
Il probably pass out as soon as i see blood leaving me but all worth it in the end i suppose!

Up to about 37 pints now.

They check your haemoglobin level with a pin prick and then find a vein in your arm near the on the inside of your elbow.

The whole process including health and lifestyle checks takes no more than 45 minutes depending on demand.

These days the demand is managed as well.

The actual donation takes about ten minutes and then there's a cup of something and a biscuit at the end.

Well worth a little bit of discomfort when you think how valuable blood is to the NHS.

Keep going regularly and it gets easier.

Remember the statistic - 96% of everyone rely on the 4% who give.

See here for more information - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.blood.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.blood.co.uk/</a>

Finally - WELL DONE!<br /><br />-- Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:42 pm --<br /><br />
Kippaxian said:
If you find the process ok and have some spare time once a month,ask about platelet donations and whether you may be able to donate?
Slightly different process in that you are "hooked" up to a machine for about 90 mins but if you go to Plymouth Grove centre they have TV's and you can take your lappy etc.

I'm due to go for my 130th donation soon (you can go as much as once a month (it used to be very 2 weeks!)) but the whole process takes about 2 hours from start to finish.

Wow!!!

That is impressive!!!

just got back from giving another donation and received a sliver badge for my 25th time.
met a really fit nurse called nikki from denton but she had a fella :-(

ciderjohn1 said:
just got back from giving another donation and received a sliver badge for my 25th time.

At least she didn't say "you're not my type"!!

Well done on #25!

mcfc2112 said:
ciderjohn1 said:

At least she didn't say "you're not my type"!!

Well done on #25!

cheers mate<br /><br />-- Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:46 pm --<br /><br />today at work i was trying to explain to somebody about giving blood and that iv'e just donated 25 pints.
her reply was"that's a lot to give in one go do you not feel ill"?
i was nearly sick from laughing.

Bump.

Done this 2 times now and will do it 4 x per year no probs.

I just had a message asking would I be interested in doing the platelets which can be done 12 or 24 x per year.
I’d love to help but I’m not sure about the blood going back in tbh!
I’m going to try it anyhow as it’s such a good cause.

Bump.

I just had a message asking would I be interested in doing the platelets which can be done 12 or 24 x per year.

I did a platelet donation just over a year ago, and having read this thread have decided to arrange another one. Been giving blood about twice a year for the last 3 years, but will try and get more regular platelet donations in.

I was a regular blood donor for just short of 20 years -1985 to 2004.
Managed to donate over 50 pints and got my gold badge.
I had to give up due to developing high blood pressure and then type 2 diabetes.
Anybody who currently is a blood donor should be very proud of themselves,it is a great way to help others.
Your blood donation may be the one that saves the live of a young child,a pregnant mother or a RTC victim.

Bump.

Doing it right now at middleton arena... not the first bit spilt in midd that’s for sure. 3rd time of donating, wish I’d done this much sooner tbh, just never seemed to find the time when I was younger.

Booked in for Friday after a 10 year absence. Motivated as my daughter in law has been very ill and has had a lot of transfusions and platelets.

I’ve been advised that If I don’t give before next Monday (65) that’s it - I can’t give blood again. Providing there are no problems and Friday, I can continue as long as it’s at least every 2 years!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.