Grenfell Tower block disaster

I think it's in poor taste to make political points out of a tragedy, but the decision to 'leak' only the chapter of this report that apportions blame to the fire brigade is clearly a dead cat being chucked on the table. There has even been a fair bit of press about blame being apportioned to hotpoint whose faulty appliance was the ignition source. The effect of this is clearly to set the news agenda and public perception prior to the release of the inquiries thoughts about those that took the decision to breach building regs and clad the building in what was essentially a giant external wick.
The issue of Hotpoint devices causing fires has been going on for about a year especially the ones that dry the washing,they should be to blame her

Because if the compartment theory works the flat is safe and if they leave people may have to go down stairways into smoke, meeting firefighters coming up and possibly with hoses as trip hazards.

The issue here is when LFB should have realised the building was gone and "stay put" was no longer good advice (especially when control was so overloaded that calls from Grenfell were being taken in Cheshire by staff with little idea of how the flames were engulfing the building).
Thanks,i suppose an orderly evacuation is the priority but like you say the tipping point was maybe called wrongly
Interesting view from an ex firefighter on the news,he said years ago there would be lots of big fires but the modern day brigade focus on prevention of fires so now when there is a big fire most of them won't have experience of it just the theory of it,makes sense to me

Inquiries almost never apportion blame where it should be apportioned, blaming the fire service isn't blaming everyone in the fire service it's the easiest cop out the criminals running the inquiry could come to.
Cressida Dick got the top job after a monumental fuck up on her watch, Blair got away with an illegal war and the alleged murder of a scientist, Boris will be no different. The whole system is corrupt it always has been, it's only when we feel like we have to support a certain side do we plug ourselves out of the matrix, this has to stop.

Thanks,i suppose an orderly evacuation is the priority but like you say the tipping point was maybe called wrongly
Interesting view from an ex firefighter on the news,he said years ago there would be lots of big fires but the modern day brigade focus on prevention of fires so now when there is a big fire most of them won't have experience of it just the theory of it,makes sense to me
It's a known problem. Plus prevention has been so effective that it enables the stats to suggest we need fewer firefighters, then when there is a big fire the whole service is stretched (like the moors fires last year). Homes are being lost because what would have been a small kitchen fire gets out of hand because the attendance time is longer, especially for a second pump to get there.)

Jesus does EVERYTHING you post have to have an anti-Tory spin on it FFS? Why didn't you just say "council"?

At a time like this instead of thinking about the poor sods who lost their lives and the countless people - including the poor firefighters scarred by this - all you can think of is scoring cheap political points. That is odious mate, it really is.

Is it not cheap political point scoring to blame the fire brigade?

Grenfall was horrendous, I passed the remains of it a few days later on the way into London and it haunted me. To be on the ground whilst that was on fire must have been horrendous for everybody involved, to blame the firemen is just disgusting.

The emergency services always get the blame,they are the ones who run into danger not the soft cunts who stand in judgement of them
Some of the newspapers have been their knobbish selves, but the report isn't seeking to blame the individual firefighters on the ground (indeed it praises their "heroics and bravery"). It's pointing out a policy flaw in the higher chain of command, and I think it's only positive that we can learn these lessons so the same mistakes are never made again.

As others have explained, the "stay put" advice SHOULD be the correct advice if everything in the building is working as it should and the fire is being contained. However, when there is a catastrophic failure in how the building is meant to react, there comes a point where slavish adherence to that policy is clearly counterproductive.

That's what this part of the report is highlighting; circumstances moved beyond what would normally be expected and command on the day didn't react accordingly.

You would hope that the rest of the report deals with what actually caused that catastrophic failure in how the building is meant to react, because that's where the real blame lies.

That said, the absolute **** who leaked just this part of the report clearly has an agenda. It's the Hillsborough model all over again; spread a false narrative and hope that enough shit sticks before the real culprits are revealed.

This is sad. If certain people made misjudgements, that’s one thing. If others knowingly flouted regs or cut corners, that’s a whole lot worse. Of course it all needs to come out if we are to learn but I do hope things are kept in proper perspective and that our emergency services are treated with due respect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.