Do the fans give Pep and his team enough respect?

I suspect that deep down Pep and the players probably think we're a bit shit.

It's a personal view and not a criticism of anyone per se, but if you want players to show dedication to the club and Zabba like passion then pissing off 10 minutes before the end of dominant victories is not going to convince them that they're playing for something bigger than just their teammates and a pay cheque. The number of empty seats in the ground when Sane curled the 5th in against the dippers a couple of years ago doesn't imply a particularly passionate and committed following.

The team we have now deserves the support we had 20 years ago.

I love the thought of city and the romantic memories of how players passions for clubs burnt through their very being, however I will not be fooled into thinking that most modern players aren't in it just for the cash and loyalty is a thin concept if they or their agents see a bigger pay day.
Players and managers see respect by how much they are paid not looking at the stands on an icy cold night when we are 3-0 up, this isn't the 1970's the stands are ramped with families, having your children stand in the cold just to show some respect to millionaires (Albeit brilliant) is a bit silly.

I love the thought of city and the romantic memories of how players passions for clubs burnt through their very being, however I will not be fooled into thinking that most modern players aren't in it just for the cash and loyalty is a thin concept if they or their agents see a bigger pay day.
Players and managers see respect by how much they are paid not looking at the stands on an icy cold night when we are 3-0 up, this isn't the 1970's the stands are ramped with families, having your children stand in the cold just to show some respect to millionaires (Albeit brilliant) is a bit silly.
If you think that - why bother at all?
Ah yes the "children stand in the cold" approach - by now it's been shown that whether it's a warm night, cold night, early kick off, late kick off, school night, holiday night, trams not working , trams working, road works, no roadworks etc etc we have attendance issues. Are you adding in that the players are paid too well to support them?

If you think that - why bother at all?
Ah yes the "children stand in the cold" approach - by now it's been shown that whether it's a warm night, cold night, early kick off, late kick off, school night, holiday night, trams not working , trams working, road works, no roadworks etc etc we have attendance issues. Are you adding in that the players are paid too well to support them?

Not saying that at all, we're becoming plastic it's going to get worse not better, that's why I don't bother going any more, shit stewarding shut up sit down eat your pie and clap like a demented fool. Now we've got other fans suggesting that fans should actually be locked in so that the millionaire players can feel the love.
Think about what you're supporting?

Not saying that at all, we're becoming plastic it's going to get worse not better, that's why I don't bother going any more, shit stewarding shut up sit down eat your pie and clap like a demented fool. Now we've got other fans suggesting that fans should actually be locked in so that the millionaire players can feel the love.
Think about what you're supporting?
I go to watch World class players playing (mostly) exceptional football. No point letting the other stuff detract to the extent that it forces you out - must admit, var may do that.

Personally I show respect to every player and to Pep, but I did when it was Pearce and Mancini but I definitely did when it was Mr Pellegrini and the players of that era as well as the players and managers from the 1950s right through to the 2019s!! I pay my money to watch football and to marvel at what I see on the pitch and boy have I seen some good and bad over the years!!

I just go because I love football and if I hadn't been female I would have loved to play when I was a youngster. However I'm of the older generation of females who weren't allowed to play football apart from on the 'croft' or the park with my younger brothers and my cousins!! Woe betide me when my mother or my aunties saw me though. "You're a girl our Sheila, girls don't play football it's undignified. (or unfeminine.)" So do you blame me for loving football? Nowadays I'm also supporting a team of absolute masters at their craft but it doesn't matter whether they play the best or the worst.............. it's football, just football.

Middlesbrough 8-1 Manchester City........... Manchester United 1- 6 Manchester City .............. see bad and good!!!

In some ways, I think Pep is perfect for us. Intense, anxious, always expecting the worst, a bit grumpy, self-deprecating in a way that isn't always obvious, but deeply loyal. I think we are still learning what it means to be fans of one of the biggest teams on the planet, and I think Pep will shape that in really profound ways.
Sorry disagree. The ship is sailing by. The fact is there is a large part of our home support who really can’t be bothered and at the end of the day don’t get all that excited about watching us play. Pep’ll be gone soon and the likelihood is we’ll be back to being a top four side instead of a top two side. It’s a shame this wonderful team doesn’t get the backing from a home support that it deserves. The away support is different, they have been terrific and even manage to laugh at our home support through songs.

Last edited:
I think this is a multi-faceted thing and it really needs someone to do a PhD study, collecting all the data.

However, leaving early is nothing new. It happened at Maine Road, even though public transport options were infinitely superior to those at the Etihad. I particularly remember one woman who used to sit behind me. No matter what the state of play, she would be offski 10-15 minutes before the end of the game, every time, and she was not on her own.

Maybe one factor is that we Mancs tend to be cynical types with a dark sense of humour. I'm not sure we're the best fit for the sort of mindless fanaticism that leads to bricking away teams' coaches.

Another factor is that a lot of people who go nowadays who corporate types who spend half the match gassing about their "clients" and what meetings they've got next week. The types who used to shout and swear and produce funny one-liners are a dying breed, and may for all practical purposes be extinct.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.