Retirement

I am 61 and the Mrs is 55. Always worked from home for the last 30 years which has been great because I like an afternoon nap after lunch. We have been semi retired since I was 50 when we sold part of the business.Looking at packing in at the end of September with the sale of the last bit. Total assets in cash and property of around £2.2m about 1/2 of it gained from speculating on RBS and other shares since the crash. I reckon that gives us a take home pay with State pensions and small private pensions of around £100k per annum which should last until I am 85 and the Mrs 80. Neither of us are the perfect specims of health so one of us is likely to have dropped off the perch by then. We will eventually Equity Release as we have no dependants. There are some good schemes out there but you have to be careful. We will go for one with low or zero settlement fees because we will eventually downsize as the house is way too big for just the two of us. Looking forward to my hobbies, a huge model railway project in the room above the garage which should keep me occupied for the next 10 years. A lot of travelling is also the plan as the business has prevented us travelling too far in the past.

Retiring today after 37.5 years. After counting down the months for the last two years, it has come at me so fast, like an hourglass where you barely see it move at first but the last few grains of sand spin around quickly before dropping through.

A very profound moment in a person's life. Going to enjoy some time off for some serious fishing before deciding whether I want/need to do some consultancy work.

Retiring today after 37.5 years. After counting down the months for the last two years, it has come at me so fast, like an hourglass where you barely see it move at first but the last few grains of sand spin around quickly before dropping through.

A very profound moment in a person's life. Going to enjoy some time off for some serious fishing before deciding whether I want/need to do some consultancy work.

Congratulations!! Hope you get to do all the things you want to do now you have the time.

Happy retirement you old bugger ;) Seriously though, keep busy and try to enjoy yourself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.