1894 Group: Carabao Cup Singing Section

I think this misses the point of what organic singing sections normally are, which is the cheapest seats.

Kippax standing, then the North Stand from 1994, the the South Stand in 2003 from around 116-118 the the first couple of seasons and it was okay. No one wanted to be in 111 with lots of empties so the club decided to create a singing section that part of the South Stand a few years into the new stadium, and this diluted the South Stand helping ruin the atmosphere. Then South Stand level 3 got the cheapest seats by far, loads left to go up their to save over 50% on their season tickets, watching in effect from West Gorton, and being so far away they would never be heard so giving up the ghost of creating any atmosphere.

It is an easy answer, reduce all tickets prices lower tier behind the goal, even United had the sense to do that charging £532 and £28 for the whole blocks, not the first 3 rows like City which are underground, and there is no cheaper option higher up like at City.
Cheap tickets very important and I’d love unreserved seats so you can sit with your mates etc. but my point is that ultimately it’s not just one thing and it’s not about one section... it’s about getting identity and atmosphere in multiple areas. Back at Maine Rd it was never only the Kippax or North Stand making noise. We need to work on both ends but there’s no easy answer.

No need to apologies to an attention seeker for having a singing section.

Hardly seeking attention pal

Not sure how old you are but at Maine Rd we often heard

From the Kippax- Main Stand, Main Stand give us a song, Main Stand give us a song

Followed by guess what a song from the Main Stand !

This routine was repeated by various sections (Platt Ln, North Stand & Main Stand) who all responded followed by a combined effort that resulted in ALL of the ground singing

From the Kippax- Main Stand, Main Stand give us a song, Main Stand give us a song

This routine was repeated by various sections (Platt Ln, North Stand & Main Stand) who all responded followed by a combined effort that resulted in ALL of the ground singing
The Main Stand sang a song.......get to fuck hahahahahahahaha

I’ve been going since the mid 70s mate. All seater stadiums necessitates singing sections.

In all seaters you need singing sections as not everyone wants to sing so makes sense keep everyone who is like minded together . Should make North Stand cheaper for season tickets. Have a couple of hundred at £20 most games would soon up the atmosphere

Thought they did a great job on Tuesday.

I also liked the Saints fans singing "We've got the ball..."

Then when we got it back they sang "We've had the ball..."

Thought they did a great job on Tuesday.

I also liked the Saints fans singing "We've got the ball..."

Then when we got it back they sang "We've had the ball..."

yeh wasn't a bad night after all tues, some good singing and sounded ok back of 115

But did they approve or join in? They're only people, and City fans, not the enemy. A good City influencer knows his milieu and know how to lead it.

It's City v Southampton in the League Cup. There's always a natural order of games which get the pulse racing.
Anyone who uses the word “milieu “ in a discussion about yobs belting out songs at the match gets a thumbs up from me. Made me chuckle that.

It's always worried me that. I know they had issues at OT when they first introduced a singing section (and we all laughed) because it led to those in other areas telling fans making noise 'go and move to the singing section' (or words to that effect!). A belief started that only fans in the singing section could sing and people who wanted the best atmosphere but didn't want to sing then got tickets for that section just to listen to others.

What we need to do is re-educate/encourage fans that it's okay to sing. Kill off some of the cheese but replace it with some way of encouraging songs that all can sing. The North Stand are never going to fully join in with a song containing abusive language, so let's not have a go at them when they don't. Stuff like the Viking Chant (the best team in the land....), Cmon City (at corners/key moments) and so on used to be part of a general match day ritual. Younger/newer fans don't always know that, so maybe we should explain it all. When I did the talk at the Dancehouse on the 125 years I made a point of making part of it the Maine Road match day experience and that seemed to go down well. Lots came to me afterwards saying stuff like 'I'd forgotten we did that', 'I wish someone had told us that'... it was all fairly simple stuff that the Junior Blues and young fans used to get as a matter of course in the old days but, because we killed off the Jnr Blues a decade or so ago and also lost a generation through boredom/lack of success/all-consuming media hype around our neighbours/reduced capacity Maine Road preventing casual attendance in 90s and 2000s we've lost that natural handover from one generation to the next. As with the Pardoe/Doyle family we've sort of skipped a generation. Our aim now must be for those of us who remember to pass on what we know about making noise, atmosphere and the like to the youngest fans. By doing this our atmosphere will improve - but it won't happen overnight.

I'd urge City, the 1894 group and anyone else interested to seize the opportunity of creating simple initiatives in the North Stand and 3rd tier South Stand that first educate, then encourage the kids to make noise. Identity helps - stuff like We are the North Stand could easily be encouraged if there were enough in that stand keen to make the noise. I think there are enough kids keen but perhaps leadership missing there? There's no easy answer but we should try anything to increase the noise.

this is our 7th season of organising the block so that "like minded singers" could group together rather than be spread all over the stadium, since then it has been named "singing section". This wasn't a planned name, it just came up from the club and fans. The block we created had to happen, singers where spread all over the stadium and diluted with non singers, in fact the singing fans still are all over the place but 114 / 115 houses a good few to create some noise. And it spreads of course around 116 / 117 and we have the kippax corner.

We have tried just about everything possible to get the noise levels up, I mean everything. We are grateful of all suggestions as in above, it has been tried, the failure to work is not down to the lads in 1894 as there is only so much you can do to pursued fans to sing. Once the game kicks off its with the fans in the stadium.

We know there are some songs better than others, but such is our culture that it cant be dictated. Most fans prefer match responsive singing, must agree it is the best type. Problem is it does dip, fans get bored of singing and it varies from game to game. Then we get a post "singing section" didn't do well at todays game, have you not thought of a drum and stop singing about Rags.

You are right in what you say, it takes time and every season there is improvement. The next big step will be when and where the safestand goes.

Meanwhile if more singin fans bunch up in cup / CL games it will help. The British clubs that sing the best and all the european clubs group to create noise, it is the only way it will work. The way modern football is getting the whole stdaium to sing isnt going to happen expept on the very rare big game ocasion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.