1894 Group: Carabao Cup Singing Section

this is our 7th season of organising the block so that "like minded singers" could group together rather than be spread all over the stadium, since then it has been named "singing section". This wasn't a planned name, it just came up from the club and fans. The block we created had to happen, singers where spread all over the stadium and diluted with non singers, in fact the singing fans still are all over the place but 114 / 115 houses a good few to create some noise. And it spreads of course around 116 / 117 and we have the kippax corner.

We have tried just about everything possible to get the noise levels up, I mean everything. We are grateful of all suggestions as in above, it has been tried, the failure to work is not down to the lads in 1894 as there is only so much you can do to pursued fans to sing. Once the game kicks off its with the fans in the stadium.

We know there are some songs better than others, but such is our culture that it cant be dictated. Most fans prefer match responsive singing, must agree it is the best type. Problem is it does dip, fans get bored of singing and it varies from game to game. Then we get a post "singing section" didn't do well at todays game, have you not thought of a drum and stop singing about Rags.

You are right in what you say, it takes time and every season there is improvement. The next big step will be when and where the safestand goes.

Meanwhile if more singin fans bunch up in cup / CL games it will help. The British clubs that sing the best and all the european clubs group to create noise, it is the only way it will work. The way modern football is getting the whole stdaium to sing isnt going to happen expept on the very rare big game ocasion.

I really admire the effort the 1894 group put in, but the simple fact is that, with respect to the singing, it isn't working (love the flags and the banners).

The one thing you don't seem to have tried is emulating the European approach by having someone orchestrate the singing.

I'd say to anyone who is about to post 'I'll give up going the day we get a drum in the Etihad' - your choice.

All theses excuses about the layout of the stands and the acoustics in the ground are just ridiculous - the away fans manage to make a noise.

A combination of European fan organization and English fan humour could produce a fantastic result.

this is our 7th season of organising the block so that "like minded singers" could group together rather than be spread all over the stadium, since then it has been named "singing section". This wasn't a planned name, it just came up from the club and fans. The block we created had to happen, singers where spread all over the stadium and diluted with non singers, in fact the singing fans still are all over the place but 114 / 115 houses a good few to create some noise. And it spreads of course around 116 / 117 and we have the kippax corner.

We have tried just about everything possible to get the noise levels up, I mean everything. We are grateful of all suggestions as in above, it has been tried, the failure to work is not down to the lads in 1894 as there is only so much you can do to pursued fans to sing. Once the game kicks off its with the fans in the stadium.

We know there are some songs better than others, but such is our culture that it cant be dictated. Most fans prefer match responsive singing, must agree it is the best type. Problem is it does dip, fans get bored of singing and it varies from game to game. Then we get a post "singing section" didn't do well at todays game, have you not thought of a drum and stop singing about Rags.

You are right in what you say, it takes time and every season there is improvement. The next big step will be when and where the safestand goes.

Meanwhile if more singin fans bunch up in cup / CL games it will help. The British clubs that sing the best and all the european clubs group to create noise, it is the only way it will work. The way modern football is getting the whole stdaium to sing isnt going to happen expept on the very rare big game ocasion.
Hats of to you lads & lasses

I really admire the effort the 1894 group put in, but the simple fact is that, with respect to the singing, it isn't working (love the flags and the banners).

The one thing you don't seem to have tried is emulating the European approach by having someone orchestrate the singing.

I'd say to anyone who is about to post 'I'll give up going the day we get a drum in the Etihad' - your choice.

All theses excuses about the layout of the stands and the acoustics in the ground are just ridiculous - the away fans manage to make a noise.

A combination of European fan organization and English fan humour could produce a fantastic result.

Its great to have dialog between us, only by speaking between us do we work out how to approach.

I agree with you, the European fan organised lot do the job right. The way they walk to the stadium in groups, in the stadium early to welcome the team out, sing even if 1-nil down, the songs are longer so gives fans a chance to join in, dare is say the drum, even megaphone.

We have tried, even though it might not be as noticeable for some we have tried. The main bulk of fans wont buy into it, its slated by most. Therefore the fans wanting a European style support are drowned out. We have tried the drum several times, we even got a young lad who can seriously drum not just bang bang ! He got put off because of the amount of times he was told it would be shoved up his arse, me personally wouldn't be bothered by this ( not that I want a drum up my arse but the threat doesn't bother me ). Every time the drum has come out it gest verbal thrown at it, but we are going to carry it on, takes time I suppose.

The capo idea, works at palace / Huddersfield & all over Europe, at our place it doesn't go down well and is classed as orchestrated. We have been trying to get a megaphone in the SS to see how this is accepted, but for 5 years now we have had a battle to get it accepted with security. Even though a large percentage at the club want it, it is classed as a hazard if there was an evacuation. Therefor we hit a brick wall. Last month the club got the megaphone accepted, but the use of it was quite strict and supervised making it unnatural and putting off the fans that would use it.

We know the best songs to sing, bet if we got together and had a natter we would agree on the songs that carry best as a group of singers. But as much as we try, without capo / megaphone / drum it is difficult to dictate songs, so on a match day it is very spontaneous.

One way of taking more control like Palace / Huddersfield fans is to get a group of 250 fans or so, you belt the songs out, drum etc and fans join in as it is loud. But you cant group very easily as most of 115 / 116 /117 and all over the stadium is pre bought season tickets. For cup games & CL games it is slightly different, we have a chance to get 100 or so tickets together but it has to be near the front as the back is already sold out. That is why we post on BM for fans to group up and buy the tickets in that section. We have been doing this 2 or 3 season, at first 70 came forward but only half of them sang. Then 70 went to 60 and now its 40, people lose interest rather than gather momentum.

The way forward would be to get on cup games 120 near the front and sing, clap, longer songs. But fans need to buy into it more.

Glad you mentioned the flags and banners, must admit its the bit I like best. Flags don't sing but they create a mood and show the team how we feel, shows pride in our colours and the fact that we are there even though at times we cant be heard.

Ive babbled on a bit there, sorry ! But feel free anytime to come and meet up for a chat, same goes to anybody.

Last edited:
Its great to have dialog between us, only by speaking between us do we work out how to approach.

I agree with you, the European fan organised lot do the job right. The way they walk to the stadium in groups, in the stadium early to welcome the team out, sing even if 1-nil down, the songs are longer so gives fans a chance to join in, dare is say the drum, even megaphone.

We have tried, even though it might not be as noticeable for some we have tried. The main bulk of fans wont buy into it, its slated by most. Therefore the fans wanting a European style support are drowned out. We have tried the drum several times, we even got a young lad who can seriously drum not just bang bang ! He got put off because of the amount of times he was told it would be shoved up his arse, me personally wouldn't be bothered by this ( not that I want a drum up my arse but the threat doesn't bother me ). Every time the drum has come out it gest verbal thrown at it, but we are going to carry it on, takes time I suppose.

The capo idea, works at palace / Huddersfield & all over Europe, at our place it doesn't go down well and is classed as orchestrated. We have been trying to get a megaphone in the SS to see how this is accepted, but for 5 years now we have had a battle to get it accepted with security. Even though a large percentage at the club want it, it is classed as a hazard if there was an evacuation. Therefor we hit a brick wall. Last month the club got the megaphone accepted, but the use of it was quite strict and supervised making it unnatural and putting off the fans that would use it.

We know the best songs to sing, bet if we got together and had a natter we would agree on the songs that carry best as a group of singers. But as much as we try, without capo / megaphone / drum it is difficult to dictate songs, so on a match day it is very spontaneous.

One way of taking more control like Palace / Huddersfield fans is to get a group of 250 fans or so, you belt the songs out, drum etc and fans join in as it is loud. But you cant group very easily as most of 115 / 116 /117 and all over the stadium is pre bought season tickets. For cup games & CL games it is slightly different, we have a chance to get 100 or so tickets together but it has to be near the front as the back is already sold out. That is why we post on BM for fans to group up and buy the tickets in that section. We have been doing this 2 or 3 season, at first 70 came forward but only half of them sang. Then 70 went to 60 and now its 40, people lose interest rather than gather momentum.

The way forward would be to get on cup games 120 near the front and sing, clap, longer songs. But fans need to buy into it more.

Glad you mentioned the flags and banners, must admit its the bit I like best. Flags don't sing but they create a mood and show the team how we feel, shows pride in our colours and the fact that we are there even though at times we cant be heard.

Ive babbled on a bit there, sorry ! But feel free anytime to come and meet up for a chat, same goes to anybody.

Thanks for your response I really appreciate it.

As I said keep up the good work, you're doing a great job.

Keep up the good work must feel.like you banging your head against a brick wall

We definitely need a drum.

We definitely need a drum.

we have taken a drum to Wembley 3 times, gets quite a lot of hassle.

A drum will work if we get enough people round it wanting it and singing to it.

At the moment we cant get enough people to be around the drum on match day. If you feel strongly about it please come to next CL home game and give it a go.

If when we get a group of tickets in 115 for cup games 200 fans applied we would sing louder and could utilise a drum. But unfortunately singers don't like moving from where they are already.

As it stands just going to a game and standing in 115 banging a drum to songs doesn't work.

From the outside it may look as though we need to try new things. We all know, including many on BM, what it will take to make more noise, we know exactly what needs to happen. But what it comes down to and no matter what you put in place, it needs more fans to join in.

A good example to compare would be Rangers "union bears". The atmosphere & noise they create isn't because they have a drum or capo or sell their own merchandise, the fans in that singing section want to sing and all 2,000 of them. Because they want to sing, stick a drum in, have a capo at the front and it orchestrates more noise. Their singing block of 2,000 actually has a waiting list of fans wanting tickets in that block to belt out songs, you literally can not get a ticket in that part of the stadium. Sounds like I'm moaning please dont get me wrong, but the fact of the matter is we get a group of 100 tickets ( we could increase it by more if demanded ) and 50 or 60 come forward to buy them.

If anybody can think of a way to get fans to move and group up please let us know. With over 50k in the stadium there must be 3,000 hard core singers, the noise could be unbelievable.

we have taken a drum to Wembley 3 times, gets quite a lot of hassle.

A drum will work if we get enough people round it wanting it and singing to it.

At the moment we cant get enough people to be around the drum on match day. If you feel strongly about it please come to next CL home game and give it a go.

If when we get a group of tickets in 115 for cup games 200 fans applied we would sing louder and could utilise a drum. But unfortunately singers don't like moving from where they are already.

As it stands just going to a game and standing in 115 banging a drum to songs doesn't work.

From the outside it may look as though we need to try new things. We all know, including many on BM, what it will take to make more noise, we know exactly what needs to happen. But what it comes down to and no matter what you put in place, it needs more fans to join in.

A good example to compare would be Rangers "union bears". The atmosphere & noise they create isn't because they have a drum or capo or sell their own merchandise, the fans in that singing section want to sing and all 2,000 of them. Because they want to sing, stick a drum in, have a capo at the front and it orchestrates more noise. Their singing block of 2,000 actually has a waiting list of fans wanting tickets in that block to belt out songs, you literally can not get a ticket in that part of the stadium. Sounds like I'm moaning please dont get me wrong, but the fact of the matter is we get a group of 100 tickets ( we could increase it by more if demanded ) and 50 or 60 come forward to buy them.

If anybody can think of a way to get fans to move and group up please let us know. With over 50k in the stadium there must be 3,000 hard core singers, the noise could be unbelievable.
You do a great job. I like the ultras comparison, but hope you're not bringing Rangers sectarianism into it. Are you?

Please don’t get a drum. I haven’t even read the thread fully. Nor some posts fully. I just saw the word drum. Please don’t. Please.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.