Another investigation bites the dust!

It wasn't a lie, as such. It involved the presentation of incomplete information with respect to which more than one interpretation was possible, and an insinuation that the most damaging interpretation was the correct one, when the additional information needed to aid in reaching a proper interpretation appears either to be absent or not conclusively to support the more damaging interpretation. In other words, it was misleading rather than a lie. Yes, I'm a pedant. ;)

This may well also an example of the above. The players from that academy are sent to a Danish club under a contract quoted in a Danish newspaper that's a part of that association of press outlets sharing the Football Leaks information. And the quoted clause 3.1 of the contract in question imposed a prohibition on the Danish club selling a player from the academy without MCFC's express consent, which on the face of it is a clear breach of the rules governing third-party ownership (TPO). EXCEPT for one thing.

The opening words of clause 3.1 were: "Subject to clause 3.5". In other words, clause 3.1 can't be read on its own but needs to be taken in conjunction with clause 3.5. So, one would presume, if the paper had access to clause 3.5 and that clause substantiated guilt on City's part, it would print details of that contractual provision. It didn't. Which suggests that either the relevant part of the contract wasn't available or it was available but didn't support the desired thrust of the story.

This episode pretty neatly encapsulates the way the press as a whole have dealt with the entirety of the Football Leaks material with regard to City. I fully acknowledge that City might be guilty of rule breaches in a number of areas and if we are, we have to take the punishments on the chin. But the way the allegations have been reported in the media shows that many outlets demonstrably prize sensationalism above good faith in their coverage of MCFC.

EDIT - Just to add, to be fair, that even the British press didn't, as far as I recall, run with the Right to Dream story given the flimsy basis of the original article. But I do remember a number of individual journalists retweeting the Danish piece with suitably prejudiced comments, proving themselves to be either intellectually dishonest or morons (I suppose with some of them we should allow for both possibilities).

Great post and agree totally with the sentiment.

I recall Stefan Borson on 93:20 pod making exactly the same point about the missing but totally relevant clause in the Right to Dream Academy leak. Such a blatant attempt to present partial "facts" in the most negative light.

I've just had a look at the original sancho stuff and again a similar story.
https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...ia-dortmund-and-the-bundesliga-a-1254617.html

Politiken did a similar hatchet job on the Christensen transfer to Chelsea as a youngster which involved payments to his father and, again, the FA investigated. Chelsea were soon cleared though because back in November 2015, the Premier League agreed an amnesty with clubs, during which time if they admitted to breaching rules around signing players aged between 12 and 16 then they would be given a free pass. The league then used the information to inform their new policies on the transfers of academy players, which came into effect in the 2016-17 season. Chelsea declared the payments to Christensen’s father as part of that process.

I' read in the i that City did not declare anything relating to Sancho during the amnesty. If they had they would have been cleared in any case and now backed up with the FA findings now!

Great post and agree totally with the sentiment.

I recall Stefan Borson on 93:20 pod making exactly the same point about the missing but totally relevant clause in the Right to Dream Academy leak. Such a blatant attempt to present partial "facts" in the most negative light.

And in this febrile atmosphere stirred up by the media, we have members of UEFA's investigatory committee, having performed their role in a way that City have challenged as amounting to an abuse of process, allegedly leaking to the New York Times that they feel they need to be seen to take action against City for fear that their reputations will otherwise be damaged. Which suggests to me that they might be prioritising the response to their decision of a media whose collective reporting of the issues has generally been woeful in quality ahead of disposing of the matter properly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.