Southampton (H) Post-Match Thread

Maybe it's just me but I thoroughly enjoyed today. Performance could have been better but as much as I enjoy the 5 and 6 nil comfortable wins, games like that offers something different. The emotions of the fans was laid bare and I thought the atmosphere was the best of the season. Even the early leavers stayed until the end

100% agree.
I enjoyed the game, we dug in & won.
It wasn’t pretty, it was frustrating & at times my bp must’ve been stroke levels- but we did it.
It may sound weird, but I think that result has reset/galvanised the squad.
I’m confident for next weekend.

That was good by Mason's standards lol! He never gives us anything.

if you watch it back, keep an eye on how many times he places himself between the City player in possession and his intended pass. He also prevented Stones from running towards the ball allowing Redmond to get to it first and break on us. He does it all the time when he refs us.

there we go......same old resorting to petty insults ...same as ever on here with some

its a sign of weakness to create excuses before a game is played and a sign of a weak arguement to have to insult someone even if it is minor...
Absolutely bang on there, 100% right

always the same on here, the same old idiots moaning about the fans who have their eyes open and see the team for the excellent players they are.
May be they’re having an off day, maybe the refs are adding to that by being absolute ****s.
But no, let’s instead listen without criticising the moaning nellies who can’t see the wood for the trees.
Then when the thickos are called out in it they do the ‘whatabouery’ shithouse tactics of the most biased of media ****s.

it’s bad enough we have 360 degree attacks from all and sundry, without our own supposed fans resorting to pile the shit on.

If you don’t line my opinion, then tough, it’s mine, not Bluemoon’s or anyone else’s so deal with me without resorting to the ‘woe is me, I’m not liked’

Teams that pack the sides of the penalty area so Sterling and Bernardo Silva have 2 or 3 men to beat are causing us all sorts of grief this season.
We need tactics to counter this. Pep hasn't found them yet.
Banging in crosses to Sergio Aguero, our powerful 6' 5" striker certainly aren't helping.

mer do know the solution, we just don’t always do it for some reason. Someone has to get to the byline with regularity - whether a winger, a fullback overlap, or someone slipped in by the winger into the space where the 18 us box hits the byline. Then you cross low. When teams pack the box, there is still space behind them, you just have to play into the space.

And if you do that, you force them to react and open more central space.

One thing’s for sure, continually playing to the feet of wingers standing still who then loft a ball into the box or cut inside to central traffic is not the solution.

No matter how good you are, being a goal down to a team with 11 men in the box (and a lot of spirit) can be an extremely difficult task. Sometimes you equalize within 5 minutes and it's all ok with but often you don't. Because so much of the game is played in one box, there's just so little space. And tiny spaces don't work well with our midgets, because the bigger players can just barge them around.
Remember Pep's Barcelona came unstuck twice against shithouse bus parkers in the CL. The greatest team in history, Liverpool FC, almost lost against Manchester United because of their bus parking. PSG had it happen to them in the league last night against Dijon! It happens.

The best thing we can do is plow on, stick to what we do and believe. And it works more often than not.
Some of the play today was really good. After we conceded we looked really sharp down the left, and in the 2nd half we looked really incisive after Sterling moved to the right. And after then it was inevitable we'd succeed.

Not all perfect though. We were once again ridiculously wasteful with our finishing, final balls, and touches in the area. You'd hope this would even itself out over the season.
Also we crossed far too often, particularly in the first half. I can understand going for it if it's Aguero up against 1, 2, or even 3 others. We have some pinpoint crossers of the ball and he's a sharp mover, so in that circumstance you'd maybe think he can get on the end of a few. But if they've got everyone back like they did you need the perfect cross, you need Aguero to free himself perfectly, and then on top of that you need him to hit it perfectly, because it might be his only aerial chance. No surprises the low one got to him.

Even though it wasn't his best game I did think Sterling showed some real signs of his development today. Some great aggressive dribbling at times, some nice passing ideas and multiple sharp passes into the box in the second half.

Exactly, and for those saying we have not got a plan b, pep made at least 4 tactical changes during the second half , probably missed by many.

in what way ??? maybe moving players around but not the system, it was high crosses after high crosses from out wide and not until late in the 2nd half did we not learn and walkers pass to aguero is the ideal goal ?? sometimes the perfect goals are the easy ones you set up when having the right tools, aguero will score maybe one of 50 chances with his head but get it on the floor and its food and drink to him SIMPLE

We dodged a bullet there.They had one attempt and scored, We huffed and puffed to no effect. Kuns goal was fortunate to go through the keepers legs,Walker's was a wonder goal (I wonder how he did it)..Kun misses an open goal ,Sterling through and fucked up again as did Jesus. Sorry but we aren't winning anything until Pep sorts this out. In the past Yaya would just steamroller through mass defences as they tired.We are one dimensional.

We seem to have changed the way we play. So many high crosses this season. Obviously on Peps instruction so there must be reason behind it but it feels different.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.