Southampton (H) Post-Match Thread

Do you remember one chance he created? Sterling has pace as his out of jail card. He actually created some, especially the cutback to Bernardo in front of the 5m50, where he missed by shooting straight at the keeper. Not saying Sterling played well but he had that magic that always helps him create something even when he's total crap.

The problem is that when he's crap, he tends to lose the ball a lot and attacks break down. I think Bernardo, even on an off day, tends to keep the ball well and keep the attacks going. Neither of them was at his best yesterday but I think Bernardo was the better of the two. I think we miss the option of Sane on the left and Sterling on the right quite a lot. Sane tends to try and get to the byeline and full the ball back low and hard which is harder to defend than floated balls from inverted wingers.

It was a hard watch yesterday and by-enlarge I thought we were pretty shit

That said, they kept plugging away and deserved the win

Really baffling to understand what has happened with B Silva nowhere near the sparkling performer of last season i would rest him for Mahrez but after an improved start, he has reverted back to the predictable inept player who for the money has been very disappointing Cannot knock are comeback today but missing the quality we have endured has set us back and made the task to complete a title treble almost unattainable if we allow them to dry bum us on Sunday
Baffling to understand this post. Not easy to play against a resolute 11 behind the ball and doubling up on you everytime you get it.

Thanks to both of you
Dropped ball - Laws 8 & 9

Changes

If play is stopped inside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for the goalkeeper

If play is stopped outside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the point of the last touch

In all cases, all the other players (of both teams) must be at least 4m (4.5yds) away

If the ball touches the referee (or another match official) and goes into the goal, team possession changes or a promising attack starts, a dropped ball is awarded

To be fair, it is a new rule

This was cleared up earlier.
However those sat near me weren’t aware of the rule change either, why was it changed, was there a need?
It still didn’t help the total confusion when neither team knew what was going on and the ref seemingly unable to use a simple form of communication to explain it to them.
That was before the farce that ensued.

Sick of the high crosses, happened today, Norwich and wolves, can’t for the life of me understand why we aren’t getting to the by line more going low and a hard, when we did it we scored. The overlap has to be plan b, when we won under Mancini it was used to great effect, next week there is zero point of high balls VVD will clear up. Get behind the two full backs get it in low and hard, Aguero attacking the near post and the opposite winger coming in behind.

Baffling to understand this post. Not easy to play against a resolute 11 behind the ball and doubling up on you everytime you get it.
I agree it is difficult but I am a little confused as to how we managed to get 26 shots away but only managed to be on target with 3 of them?
Was our shooting that inaccurate?

I agree it is difficult but I am a little confused as to how we managed to get 26 shots away but only managed to be on target with 3 of them?
Was our shooting that inaccurate?

Probably most of the shots were blocked by a Southampton body, hence they counted as shots, but treated as off target?

Sick of the high crosses, happened today, Norwich and wolves, can’t for the life of me understand why we aren’t getting to the by line more going low and a hard, when we did it we scored. The overlap has to be plan b, when we won under Mancini it was used to great effect, next week there is zero point of high balls VVD will clear up. Get behind the two full backs get it in low and hard, Aguero attacking the near post and the opposite winger coming in behind.

Totally agree with you.
Utterly bewildered at the first half approach high balls flung in which kept get cutting out.
Southampton had tall players so that whole approach was wrong. We really need some height in our team.
The other issue for me is corners we must have had 20 yesterday with absolutely zero threat even when it was taken short.
Again maybe because we lack height.
That said great character shown.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.