Running thread

Nice 10 mile run around the local lakes today. Furthest I have run in quite a while.

Kept a nice constant speed of 4:50 to 5:15 minutes per kilometre.

Have to say I usually run shorter, faster but thoroughly enjoyed this today. Legs ache already so getting the roller on them tonight in the hope I will not be too crippled tomorrow.

Any park run times this weekend?

Well done. Good distance that.

I had a Parkrun disaster - thought it was only 2 laps , so on the second lap felt really good - upped my pace and put everything in , when I got to the finish line there was no one there - that’s when I knew I had another lap to go. Awful. Got it completely wrong. Ended up sulking, walking/jogging the rest.

Yesterday I did my 300th run day in a row though, 4.5 miles and just a few miles away from 1000 for the year.

Well done. Good distance that.

I had a Parkrun disaster - thought it was only 2 laps , so on the second lap felt really good - upped my pace and put everything in , when I got to the finish line there was no one there - that’s when I knew I had another lap to go. Awful. Got it completely wrong. Ended up sulking, walking/jogging the rest.

Yesterday I did my 300th run day in a row though, 4.5 miles and just a few miles away from 1000 for the year.

How has your body been with 300 consecutive days? Do you have an intense stretch and warm up/cool down?

Does anyone monitor their heart rate when they run? I don’t normally bother but my heart rate went up as high as 202.

I always thought as a rough guide your heart rate should be 220 minus your age. Which for me would be 184.

Is this anything I need to keep an eye on?

How has your body been with 300 consecutive days? Do you have an intense stretch and warm up/cool down?

honestly no, I really don’t stretch enough. most of my 300+ runs are very light 1-2 miles. So perfect recovery runs after a long distance run or race. First few months my legs felt in agony but now I feel fine, no aches or pains after any run. Calf’s feel tight, that’s about it.

I've signed up for the Cheshire 10k next Saturday (9 Nov) at Arley Hall. Any other takers? Ran 8k in preparation this evening, at around 5:30 mins per k. I'll be pleased to complete it in 55 minutes, which will be 2 minutes faster than my previous best back in February.

Last LSR yesterday, 18 miles in 2:42... all set for New York 2 weeks today.
Good luck later will look out for someone running in a City shirt :) Enjoy the atmosphere, and if you end up on the lower deck of the Verazano Bridge stay in the middle so you don’t get pissed on by runners relieving themselves off the top deck!

Does anyone monitor their heart rate when they run? I don’t normally bother but my heart rate went up as high as 202.

I always thought as a rough guide your heart rate should be 220 minus your age. Which for me would be 184.

Is this anything I need to keep an eye on?

Hi WC.

Please please please don't use that outdated formula. It's meant to tell you your max. HR but most people find that it is actually miles off. This can lead to people training in the wrong HR zones which can be dangerous. In short, it is not fit for purpose.

Instead, find your own resting HR by measuring your pulse before you get out of bed for a few mornings then calculate the mean average.

To find your max. HR, find a time when you can give it your all on an interval session. Build up the intensity for each repeat. For you final repeat, push to your absolute limit and try to hold the distance for longer than your other repeats. This should give you your approximate max. HR (some people add on 5 bpm as it's so hard to actually achieve max.).

I'm assuming you have a Garmin watch or similar? Enter the two values into the watch, then when you're out running, cycle through the screens until you see the HR screen. This will tell you which HR zone you are running in at any given time. 80% of your weekly miles should be in the aerobic zone (this is an easy, conversational pace).

Hi WC.

Please please please don't use that outdated formula. It's meant to tell you your max. HR but most people find that it is actually miles off. This can lead to people training in the wrong HR zones which can be dangerous. In short, it is not fit for purpose.

Instead, find your own resting HR by measuring your pulse before you get out of bed for a few mornings then calculate the mean average.

To find your max. HR, find a time when you can give it your all on an interval session. Build up the intensity for each repeat. For you final repeat, push to your absolute limit and try to hold the distance for longer than your other repeats. This should give you your approximate max. HR (some people add on 5 bpm as it's so hard to actually achieve max.).

I'm assuming you have a Garmin watch or similar? Enter the two values into the watch, then when you're out running, cycle through the screens until you see the HR screen. This will tell you which HR zone you are running in at any given time. 80% of your weekly miles should be in the aerobic zone (this is an easy, conversational pace).

Yeah, I use a Garmin. Cheers for the advice. Sounds like you know your stuff. I’ll sack that old school formula off. I was thinking it can’t be very accurate. Thanks mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.