Atalanta (A) CL Post-Match Thread

Did anyone else notice that when City/Sterling took the free kick ( the open changed to free kick) that Atlanta had a player laying down behind the wall . I guess that's to stop KDB trying to roll it under the wall when it jumps. I have never seen that before !!

Liverpool durning their run of wins in the old format of this competition faced the champions of the likes of Ireland, Norway, Cyprus and Bulgaria whilst at the same time the champions of Spain, Italy, France and Germany could have played each other in the first round. It was possible in those days to progress to at least the semi final without playing any decent sides
You are right, of course. We should just have a tournament where the Champions of England, Spain, Germany and Italy play a Semi-Final and Final!

Oh wait, it’s a UEFA tournament, so every federation that pays homage to UEFA deserves a chance to be in the CHAMPIONS League, don’t they? After all, the revenues that these federations receive keep some of them afloat. Maybe we can get them a nice fat SKY contract instead?

You are right, of course. We should just have a tournament where the Champions of England, Spain, Germany and Italy play a Semi-Final and Final!

Oh wait, it’s a UEFA tournament, so every federation that pays homage to UEFA deserves a chance to be in the CHAMPIONS League, don’t they? After all, the revenues that these federations receive keep some of them afloat. Maybe we can get them a nice fat SKY contract instead?
I’m not saying that, what I’m saying is a lot of teams could get to the latter stages without playing a decent team, nowadays because of the format and seeding, that’s highly unlikely

Did anyone else notice that when City/Sterling took the free kick ( the open changed to free kick) that Atlanta had a player laying down behind the wall . I guess that's to stop KDB trying to roll it under the wall when it jumps. I have never seen that before !!
You need to get out more! ;-)

The thing I did notice, though, was that they created a little “extra wall” beside the first, which forced City players to move another meter away from the original wall!

I’m not saying that, what I’m saying is a lot of teams could get to the latter stages without playing a decent team, nowadays because of the format and seeding, that’s highly unlikely
I thought the sarcasm was self evident.

I know what you meant, but the poster to whom you were replying was making a point about CHAMPIONS playing in the CHAMPIONS League, as opposed to the top handful of teams from the top leagues, and the smaller European leagues having to play qualifying games.

We are moving further and further away from the original intent of such European competitions, and, instead, all being seduced by the almighty corporate sponsorship dollar that fills the trough at which European football royalty feeds. Such is life, I guess, but that doesn’t mean one cannot rail against it.

I thought the sarcasm was self evident.

I know what you meant, but the poster to whom you were replying was making a point about CHAMPIONS playing in the CHAMPIONS League, as opposed to the top handful of teams from the top leagues, and the smaller European leagues having to play qualifying games.

We are moving further and further away from the original intent of such European competitions, and, instead, all being seduced by the almighty corporate sponsorship dollar that fills the trough at which European football royalty feeds. Such is life, I guess, but that doesn’t mean one cannot Raul against it.
Yeah, point taken.
The group format of the current competition is there purely to provide guaranteed revenue and to stop one of the original big boys getting drawn against each other in the early stages

Because in the 80s and 90s I expected a lot less....I now expect to compete with the best...spoiled of course, but if we want to be like the rags (not now) and Liverpool (wining the CL) we have to be a lot better....Dont believe me ask Pep.
Well here's Pep's considered comments.

For a manager of a team who some believe is in disarray, he seems remarkably cool.

They did indeed, and like any long distance race its what you do at the end of that race that matters, hence despite being less than impressed by how we have started this season in many respects I have far from written it off...the fact remains perform like tonight and we will win fuck all, I am not for one minute suggesting we will be as poor as we were tonight again. If we do repeat tonight at the level we need to be, it will fuck us right up and we will win nowt.

Repeat tonight what will be the outcome at Klanfield?

As for the CL its vastly superior to the old European Cup....after all when Liverpool were winning thier millions of CL trophies they were meeting some pretty poor sides in the latter stages of the competition.....FC Bruges in the final at Wembley for example. I bet you as long as you have a hole in your arse we dont even play that level of opposition in the group stages...yes I know Liverppol met worse last night but that Liverpool.
It was a mixed performance, and we have to do better if we want to win it. That is fair comment.

It's also fair to say that we had a few problems in the game with injury and refereeing error, and we came through it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.