Liverpool (A) - Pre Match Thread

Prediction - Liverpool (A)

• Win

• Lose

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m struggling to see anything other than a Liverpool victory. We have not been at our best, and Weds was far, far from it. With the number of injuries we have, the game being at Klanfield, and the form of both teams coming in, I just feel like Liverpool will have too much intensity for us, and depending upon which version of City shows up, it could be a thumping!

Then again, we have the ability to beat absolutely anyone on our day, and Liverpool haven’t been put to the sword by anyone in a while, so there’s that!

3-0 Liverpool. Media wankfest, ribbons on the trophy changed from sky blue and white to red, and Klopp pronounced Manager of the Year by all, with Mané winning every player award before Christmas.

The stories will write themselves, and Pep’s future, as well as every over-30 City player, will be considered past it and ready to be moved on!

Hoping Rodri can play in the middle to allow Fernandinho behind him.

Also hoping Foden plays.

I’m struggling to see anything other than a Liverpool victory. We have not been at our best, and Weds was far, far from it. With the number of injuries we have, the game being at Klanfield, and the form of both teams coming in, I just feel like Liverpool will have too much intensity for us, and depending upon which version of City shows up, it could be a thumping!

Then again, we have the ability to beat absolutely anyone on our day, and Liverpool haven’t been put to the sword by anyone in a while, so there’s that!

3-0 Liverpool. Media wankfest, ribbons on the trophy changed from sky blue and white to red, and Klopp pronounced Manager of the Year by all, with Mané winning every player award before Christmas.

The stories will write themselves, and Pep’s future, as well as every over-30 City player, will be considered past it and ready to be moved on!
I wouldn't say their form is good coming into this. Their results are, but their form is as shaky as ours imo.

We couldn't cope last night as soon as Atalanta upped their intensity on man to man.

Top many crap out balls to players with their backs to the play, lazy returns, evidenced with that crap half touch from Gundo which led to the Bravo sending off.

Even before the red card, Bravo was forced to come racing out to head clear, there is just so much space in behind our defenders.

Sterling just can't be arsed getting across quickly enough to support Mendy when teams go wide.

I'm not sure what Pep can do to avoid us getting a tonking, as the current injuries expose our deficiencies to the maximum.

Personally, I hope we go for legs.

Three at the back.

............... Ed (hopefully).........

........ Walker.. Stones...Otamendi
Cancelo .. Fern...Foden..De Bruyne.. Mendy
.......................Sergio.... Sterling.....

My worry is Liverpool only need a 15 minute spell of intensity. We're that brittle at the back we could concede a few.

As Pep pointed out to our detractors in the press conference, it's the Champions League and it's difficult to control 90 minutes.

Barcelona drew 0-0 at home against Slavia Prague and over 90 minutes were probably 2nd best.

In hindsight, and having looked at the Bravo sending off from all angles, I thought we let our game slip after half time, but having been dealt a harsh sending off we stepped it up at the death, and did what was required.

Liverpool have their defensive problems too. The season is about 1/4 old. I think it's reasonable to expect that at some point the boot will be on the foot with respect to City, Liverpool, injuries and luck.

A really good and measured post.

I'm sure Ian Darke said Liverpool have conceded in each of their last eight games. It's by no means convincing but only really a steady flow of one-per-game (I'm not counting the severely under-strength five against Arsenal).

The biggest difference, as I see it, is that they appear to have a much better fitness regime than us. They finish games strongly and seem to avoid the 2-5-week soft tissue muscle injuries that we seem to pick up with alarming regularity. That's with less rotation than us as well. The difference in fitness was put into focus in the Community Shield but I thought we'd gradually improve. I don't think we really look as fit as we did two years ago. Our press isn't what it was and the 900 passes-per-game we'd clock up has dropped markedly. After two years of intense work, remarkable consistency and unparalleled success, maybe we've just lost that edge. It's not made us a bad side, but it is amplified by the fact we're up against a side that's won 10 of their first 11 games. In reality, 10 CL points after four games, a LC q/f and 25 points after 11 league games is pretty good but these aren't normal times.

You simply cannot legislate for the bad injuries suffered by Laporte and Sane. No fitness regime is responsible for those injuries but it's the equivalent of Liverpool losing VVD and Mane - losses which would be catastrophic had they happened when Sane and Laporte had got injured.

Liverpool are a really good side and if they win the league they'll have deserved it. Yeah, a lot of their fans are annoying but it is only a game and life would return to normal eventually.

A really good and measured post.

I'm sure Ian Darke said Liverpool have conceded in each of their last eight games. It's by no means convincing but only really a steady flow of one-per-game (I'm not counting the severely under-strength five against Arsenal).

The biggest difference, as I see it, is that they appear to have a much better fitness regime than us. They finish games strongly and seem to avoid the 2-5-week soft tissue muscle injuries that we seem to pick up with alarming regularity. That's with less rotation than us as well. The difference in fitness was put into focus in the Community Shield but I thought we'd gradually improve. I don't think we really look as fit as we did two years ago. Our press isn't what it was and the 900 passes-per-game we'd clock up has dropped markedly. After two years of intense work, remarkable consistency and unparalleled success, maybe we've just lost that edge. It's not made us a bad side, but it is amplified by the fact we're up against a side that's won 10 of their first 11 games. In reality, 10 CL points after four games, a LC q/f and 25 points after 11 league games is pretty good but these aren't normal times.

You simply cannot legislate for the bad injuries suffered by Laporte and Sane. No fitness regime is responsible for those injuries but it's the equivalent of Liverpool losing VVD and Mane - losses which would be catastrophic had they happened when Sane and Laporte had got injured.

Liverpool are a really good side and if they win the league they'll have deserved it. Yeah, a lot of their fans are annoying but it is only a game and life would return to normal eventually.

Good post. Just decided to bold the part that really isn't appreciated often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.