Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if you had to pick just one, both teams would say the league. Imagine it comes down to last game and you're playing in the FA Cup final the weekend after.

Of course you want to win both. But nobody is picking the FA cup over the league. That's my point.

Whether you want to big up the community shield (which at times early on was a bananas game. In 1970-1971 Arsenal won the double. So the charity shield at the start of the 71-72 season? Liverpool the FA cup runners up against Leicester who won the second division the previous season. Leicester won the game 1-0 at Filbert Street).

It's a game with a trophy. It's an invitational game, much like the European Super Cup and the World Club Cup. You only want to count the trophies you seem to win as important. I'd love nothing more than to see Liverpool win everything on offer all the time. That's simply not how things work.

Whether City fans want to admit or not, this Liverpool side (with the refs, and the media and the FA and everything else) are a real challenge to City and makes last seasons efforts by City all the more remarkable.

If City finished last year on 98 points and the nearest team was on 80 then everyone would be saying how easy it was. I seriously doubt anyone apart from City or Liverpool are winning this league this season. I also seriously doubt they'll be a massive points difference between the teams.

On Mane, of course he does go down easily (as do the overwhelming majority of players in the league) but is it any wonder. Week in, week out every fan (who watches their own club, through their own lense much more than they do other clubs) sees a foul, a tug, a pull where a foul isn't given. The standard of refs is the real issue.

We saw in the World Cup how they clamped down on ridiculous fouls in the box at a corner. Fast forward to a Newcastle player having a Liverpool player in an actual headlock and it's waved away. I tend to not watch games unless it involves us. I'm sure most city fans could point to a decision they think was more than generous to the opposition. But can you say you've never been given anything that's more than a little generous to City?

I can't take anything serious from an oldhamer who supports a team from another town, who if born in the 89s clearly supported dipperpool because they were successful at the time. In reply to your last sentence we do get some soft decisions but not with the regularity that the dippers do and usually when we have the game won already. I think you will find that most blues in here are honest enough to say we didn't deserve that but it's the entitlement that you dippers have which most find hard to digest.

But if you had to pick just one, both teams would say the league. Imagine it comes down to last game and you're playing in the FA Cup final the weekend after.

Of course you want to win both. But nobody is picking the FA cup over the league. That's my point.

Whether you want to big up the community shield (which at times early on was a bananas game. In 1970-1971 Arsenal won the double. So the charity shield at the start of the 71-72 season? Liverpool the FA cup runners up against Leicester who won the second division the previous season. Leicester won the game 1-0 at Filbert Street).

It's a game with a trophy. It's an invitational game, much like the European Super Cup and the World Club Cup. You only want to count the trophies you seem to win as important. I'd love nothing more than to see Liverpool win everything on offer all the time. That's simply not how things work.

Whether City fans want to admit or not, this Liverpool side (with the refs, and the media and the FA and everything else) are a real challenge to City and makes last seasons efforts by City all the more remarkable.

If City finished last year on 98 points and the nearest team was on 80 then everyone would be saying how easy it was. I seriously doubt anyone apart from City or Liverpool are winning this league this season. I also seriously doubt they'll be a massive points difference between the teams.

On Mane, of course he does go down easily (as do the overwhelming majority of players in the league) but is it any wonder. Week in, week out every fan (who watches their own club, through their own lense much more than they do other clubs) sees a foul, a tug, a pull where a foul isn't given. The standard of refs is the real issue.

We saw in the World Cup how they clamped down on ridiculous fouls in the box at a corner. Fast forward to a Newcastle player having a Liverpool player in an actual headlock and it's waved away. I tend to not watch games unless it involves us. I'm sure most city fans could point to a decision they think was more than generous to the opposition. But can you say you've never been given anything that's more than a little generous to City?

I don’t understand your point, last year City won the league then won the FA Cup which followed the league Cup & earlier the Charity shield after winning the league the previous season.

you see you don’t get a choice, it’s not one of the other. You don’t choose, you compete.

Yes you are a threat but only with the refs, media & VAR, you didn’t deserve your 97 points & as for Mane going down easily, just say it he dives, he’s a cheat & just like Salah you applaud it.

Supporting Liverpool from Oldham, pathetic!

I

Yes you are a threat but only with the refs, media & VAR, you didn’t deserve your 97 points & as for Mane going down easily, just say it he dives, he’s a cheat & just like Salah you applaud it.

I forgot all other players are absolute saints and have never done anything wrong.

Of course Liverpool didn't deserve the 97 points.

It's all VAR and the refs (of course if this was true then we'd have presumably beaten your neighbours the other week. Guess it cant look too on top).

Nobody has to are justify themselves as to what club they support.

Whether you're an Evertonian from Norway (they do exist despite what our neighbours will tell you), a Man United fan born on Busby way or a Leeds fan from Stoke, there's a reason why you support a club.

Call me a glory hunter if you like, but I'd be a crap glory hunter. Did you see Liverpool in the 90's? I'm a Liverpool fan because my Dad was. It's the same story as most I'd guess.

Are you telling me every City fan lives in Manchester? Because that's quite clearly not true. Your support nationally and internationally will grow over the years quite obviously.

Let's think of a guy or girl aged 10 in Birmingham. They are getting into football more and more. Mum and Dad aren't really into football.

A friend in school supports City because their family moved for work. Said 10 year old starts watching city and supporting them. Are you all going to hostile to that kid in 10 years time if they go to a game? Only if you're an idiot.

I can't take anything serious from an oldhamer who supports a team from another town, who if born in the 89s clearly supported dipperpool because they were successful at the time. In reply to your last sentence we do get some soft decisions but not with the regularity that the dippers do and usually when we have the game won already. I think you will find that most blues in here are honest enough to say we didn't deserve that but it's the entitlement that you dippers have which most find hard to digest.
He said his Dad was a plastic glory hunter and he was indoctrinated into being one by him.
You’re right though he can’t be taken seriously.

Just reading mane’s response to the diving comments. Setting aside the tit for tat sarcastic tone of the response, It’s absolutely pathetic And sums up everything that’s wrong with football for me and I guarantee you’ll get Liverpool fans backing his comments simply because he plays for their side. Claiming he's entitled to go down if there’s any contact whatsoever, and why shouldn’t he go down if it gets him a penalty. why is this thought process now widely accepted? It’s a contact sport, making contact with a player isn’t against the rules, so no you’re not entitled to throw yourself to he floor when touched.

He clearly doesn’t have any fears about the consequences of diving, try it as often as you want until you get booked then don’t try it again until the next game you need a goal. by the time it takes a player to accumulate enough bookings for a suspension you could have won multiple point winning penalties for your side. Something drastic needs changing in the rules and particular the punishments for trying to con the ref it’s ruining the game.

And this isn’t a specific dig at Liverpool or mane, it applies to anybody and everybody that does the things he and salah routinely do. We’re fortunate at City that we don’t really have anybody that dives in our current squad not that I’m trying to elevate us above everybody else, we’ve had them in the past and they’ve annoyed me as much as seeing an opponent do it.

I don’t understand your point, last year City won the league then won the FA Cup which followed the league Cup & earlier the Charity shield after winning the league the previous season.

you see you don’t get a choice, it’s not one of the other. You don’t choose, you compete.

They did deserve 97 points last season, they were brilliant.... just not quite brilliant enough

Be great if the fans took a giant banner and let it float over the entire city support while YNWA is being played. That way the players can see our support and we can muffle the song a bit. Also be nice to remind them of the slippy G song.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.