The Rohingya People

Blue Mist

I am struggling with the words I want to post, like many I have heard about the Rohingya people who have been forced to flee Burma to avoid rape, torture and death. The other day I saw a book,
First They Erased Our Name, it is written by a Rohingya who had fled before the current violence, it is so upsetting that I had to put it down and post this.
How man can treat fellow man as they do because of the colour of their skin, their religion or the simple desire for power is beyond me. The fact that the western world or for that matter any country can allow this disgraceful situation is beyond me.
The fact that Aung San Suu Kyi the Burmese leader can defend what they are doing and still not be stripped of her Nobel peace prize is a disgrace.

Normally, for me, Off Top is about daft, funny, piss taking posts/threads, this one isn't. Mods please don't move this to the politics thread where it will be lost, I am not even sure what good posting it will do but I just feel better for highlighting it in a little way.

The Rohingya, China's treatment of the Uighur Muslims, the persecution of Christians in a number of Muslim countries, people killed because of their sexuality or because they fell in love with someone of the "wrong" caste, race or religion. There are many other incidents of such issues and no one ever says a word.

Closer to home we should be helping each other more. No kid for example should be growing up with only violence and thievery ahead of them. We should be creating safe environments for them to grow up to be peaceful and respectful and as a result happy to give back to the next generation. It bugs me big time that our society/government doesn't foster real community actions so we can all knit together better.

I live in a great community and I just wish that more people could too without it being crushed in the process.

But ... I'll continue to enjoy my peace and cooperation and generally uneventful contentment and close my ears, eyes and heart to what happens elsewhere. But I wish it wasnt so and I (we) could make it better for more people.

The Rohingya, China's treatment of the Uighur Muslims, the persecution of Christians in a number of Muslim countries, people killed because of their sexuality or because they fell in love with someone of the "wrong" caste, race or religion. There are many other incidents of such issues and no one ever says a word.

I completely agree, I suppose I am highlighting it because of the book but what China is doing in Tibet and elsewhere in the region is disgraceful but ignored because the west want to trade with them. The Rohingya have been persecuted since 1942 and it is now ethnic cleansing and yet the world just watches

I completely agree, I suppose I am highlighting it because of the book but what China is doing in Tibet and elsewhere in the region is disgraceful but ignored because the west want to trade with them. The Rohingya have been persecuted since 1942 and it is now ethnic cleansing and yet the world just watches

Totally agree .... the fact that we ignore what goes on in other countries simply because we want 'trade' is outrageous.

Selling weapons to the Saudis so they can wage war in Yemen is a prime example whilst at the same time donating our tax £'s to provide relief in Yemen is breathtakingly hypocritical

https://www.gov.uk/international-development-funding/uk-aid-match

People fleeing their lives and drowning at sea, many of which woman and kids, makes me sick in the stomach and feel totally helpless.

How man can treat fellow man as they do because of the colour of their skin, their religion or the simple desire for power is beyond me.

There's actually some excellent writing and research that delves into this issue.

The following documentary, for example, is outstanding.The picture quality isn't great but it's worth sticking with.

Philip Zimbardo's book The Lucifer Effect: How Good People Turn Evil is also an extraordinary piece of writing on the same topic.

My own view is that a lot of what we're seeing is a product of evolutionary psychology, a form of tribalism writ large that causes us to behave in an appalling manner under the wrong circumstances.

Unfortunately, the recent appeal to identity politics on both the left and right of that spectrum is exacerbating things right now. This story is yet another example of that:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50329597

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.