Travelling to Milan (Atalanta)

Half way down mate, was a sort of take away pizza place, couple of tables outside. They were on the bridge the other side. 3 young CIty fans came to us concerned they were being watched. As they proceeded to walk away, spotters on the other side of the canal walked in the same direction. 3 lads turned back. So did the men in black brigade. Think the evetually got bored with us

We were in a place just 20 yards or so from the bridge.

Quite surprised at some of the comments on Milan.
The Duomo and the surrounding arcades were stunning.
People complaining about Pubs, well they were there you just had to do a bit of research beforehand.
We found a few.
Some Blues were down the Canal Area which had Bars which I will check out if we are there again.
Been in worse places with City, Kiev springs to mind and Gelsenkirchen and Gladbach in Germany.
San Siro better outside than inside though.

Sat with Atalanta fans kept quiet no probs so looks like I made a good choice
They really got behind their team and made a racket so fair play to them
Good trip overall , box ticked

Not sure what I really made of Milan. Glad to have been (and get the fridge magnet!), but I don't think it's a city I'd rush back to.

There's nothing wrong with it as such, but Italy is such a beautiful country and Milan just didn't really grab me. The Duomo is impressive, but being hassled whilst trying to take pictures got annoying (happens in a lot of big cities though tbf). Our hotel was nice, cracking location near central station so very easy to get about the city using public transport. Even things like prices for food/drink wasn't quite as bad as I was anticipating, so it's hard to pinpoint why the city didn't grab me but it just didn't. I've been to Italy 7 times now and I think I'd have Milan at the bottom of that pile. Though part of me thinks I probably didn't do it justice so perhaps I'm being harsh to judge the city based on what was a fairly brief football visit.

We didn't fly back until 9pm on Thursday evening (from Bergamo) so me and my mate headed to Bergamo after checking out the hotel, and quite liked it there. The old town overlooking the city gave some spectacular views and was nice to wander around. Think I'd be more inclined to do a weekend there than Milan.

Can recommend Nottingham Forest bar in Milan. We went there Tuesday evening before Bootleg bar, proper quaint little place with random stuff on the walls and room for maybe 25 people maximum (they only have a handful of tables, a few seats at the bar then it becomes a one out/one in policy). Only serve cocktails but they were of excellent quality and decent sizes in novelty glasses (or bathtubs....), and 10 Euro a drink before 9pm so not too bad on the wallet. Probably more a place you'd go with the missus and not football fans but we enjoyed it nonetheless.

This was my tenth Euro away but first in almost 4 years (Kiev in Feb 2016 being the last) so really got the buzz for them again (despite the well documented problems with the police). Can't do Zagreb but I'm certainly not leaving it another 4 years for the next one.

Good effort with getting the singing going last night mate.

Cheers mate. In recovery mode now. Had a nice day in Bergamo old town yesterday before flying back to East Mids last night.

All in all a good trip, which was blighted by the news of the police’s behaviour to our fans. Milan isn’t a particularly attractive city - Bergamo, on the other hand, is beautiful - but Navigli is nice, and the bus service between Bergamo airport and Milan central station was bang on.

Last edited:
Cheers mate. In recovery mode now. Had a nice day in Bergamo old town yesterday before flying back to East Mids last night.

All in all a good trip, which was blighted by the news of the police’s behaviour to our fans. Milan isn’t a particularly attractive city - Bergamo, on the other hand, is beautiful - but Navigli is nice, and the bus service between Bergamo airport and Milan central station was bang on.

Yes I sort of did the trip the other way round. I stayed in Bergamo on Monday night; Milan on Tuesday and Wednesday - near the San Siro; visited Navigli on Thursday and then getting the coach from Milan Centrale to Bergamo. I had seen most of the tourist sights in Milan before but I was impressed with seeing the castle at night.

I expected the coppers to be cocks but I’m disappointed with the behaviour of some of the Atalanta fans, based on what I’ve read on here.

I'd echo its not the best of cities to be honest. Still here for 1 more day and we've enjoyed it so far but luckily elbow played here last night so we had a cracking evening at the gig bumping into a few English whilst there and ended up in a bar till 2am. (wife is hungover this morning)

Talking of bars/pubs. The majority are more like little cafes than what we'd consider a bar or pub but we did find the old fox pub on the day of the game and its by far the best pub we've been in with a selection of craft beers and lagers. Can get a pint for 3.50 in there.

Went to navigli area yesterday for a wander, looked OK, nothing special imo. Today gonna do the San Siro tour I think once wife sorts her hangover out and tonight we'll finish off the trip with hopefully a decent meal out.

Overall a good trip but Milan isn't a place that we'd rush back to if we're being honest. If te weather was good we'd probably consider a few days at Lake como instead if staying in milan if we played inter or Ac.

Navigli really comes alive at night ..some really good bars that serve food up until 1.30 am
3 or 4 sports bars .. the King Bar was excellent. Watched the Lazio game there and the Inter one on Tuesday

Sat with Atalanta fans kept quiet no probs so looks like I made a good choice
They really got behind their team and made a racket so fair play to them
Good trip overall , box ticked

The Atalanta fans did give good support but there was a fire drill on 80 odd minutes with Kyle Walker in goal and us down to 10 men. I put that down to rushing to get the train back Bergamo though rather than a lack of interest in the game.

Not sure what I really made of Milan. Glad to have been (and get the fridge magnet!), but I don't think it's a city I'd rush back to.

There's nothing wrong with it as such, but Italy is such a beautiful country and Milan just didn't really grab me. The Duomo is impressive, but being hassled whilst trying to take pictures got annoying (happens in a lot of big cities though tbf). Our hotel was nice, cracking location near central station so very easy to get about the city using public transport. Even things like prices for food/drink wasn't quite as bad as I was anticipating, so it's hard to pinpoint why the city didn't grab me but it just didn't. I've been to Italy 7 times now and I think I'd have Milan at the bottom of that pile. Though part of me thinks I probably didn't do it justice so perhaps I'm being harsh to judge the city based on what was a fairly brief football visit.

We didn't fly back until 9pm on Thursday evening (from Bergamo) so me and my mate headed to Bergamo after checking out the hotel, and quite liked it there. The old town overlooking the city gave some spectacular views and was nice to wander around. Think I'd be more inclined to do a weekend there than Milan.

Can recommend Nottingham Forest bar in Milan. We went there Tuesday evening before Bootleg bar, proper quaint little place with random stuff on the walls and room for maybe 25 people maximum (they only have a handful of tables, a few seats at the bar then it becomes a one out/one in policy). Only serve cocktails but they were of excellent quality and decent sizes in novelty glasses (or bathtubs....), and 10 Euro a drink before 9pm so not too bad on the wallet. Probably more a place you'd go with the missus and not football fans but we enjoyed it nonetheless.

This was my tenth Euro away but first in almost 4 years (Kiev in Feb 2016 being the last) so really got the buzz for them again (despite the well documented problems with the police). Can't do Zagreb but I'm certainly not leaving it another 4 years for the next one.

If you go back to Milan and Bergamo again, I would recommend getting the cheap train ticket via Treviglio. It was a nice town with a number of ancient towers.

I know several Blues are underwhelmed with Milan but I thought it had more to offer than say, Turin. It did help to fill the time visits AC Milan’s football museum

The trip was an unmitigated disaster, didn't even see the game.

Italian police ****s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.