Quiz show contestants

Not me, no. I was once on a TV series called Sports Anorak of the Year hosted by Rory McGrath. When I was persuaded to enter I was told it was like a Sporting Mastermind and that that would be its title. When I got there the truth came out! I ended up progressing through 2 shows and then my 3rd was the semi-final. My topic was the life of Joe Mercer and questions included 'What was the name of the ship Everton used to travel to Europe in their 1938 tour?' I hadn't a clue (but it was in my book!) and was up against a bloke doing Mike Tyson and a MUFC fan doing 'Manchester United Under Alex Ferguson 1986 to 1992' (one question was "What is the name of Ferguson's son who was on Utd's books").

In the final round if you got an answer wrong you'd give your points to one of the other contestants. The Utd man was about 2 points ahead of the Tyson bloke and I was about 6 points behind. I had a 3 point question and as McGrath was asking it I knew there was just about time for my question/answer and then the show would be over. Instead of thinking what the answer was my mind was totally on who I'd want to win - Utd under Fergie or Tyson! The question was asked. I gave my answer. It was wrong and I jumped in to say who'd get the points and then the whistle went. The Utd fan shouted 'Typical City fan" and said a few expletives. We finished the show, but McGrath told us we had to re film the last bit (he made some excuse about technical issues, but it was the expletives and bitterness). I had to get the answer wrong again and then repeat who I'd give the points to (that ensure Tyson won). McGrath said "That's it for another show. The two Manchester lads are going to fight this out in the car park."

The Utd fan ripped off his mic and stormed off.

I was shocked a couple of weeks ago while watching Univ. Challenge, and one team was asked to identify some film scores. The first bit was the iconic zither music (Harry Lime theme) from "The Third Man". No one had a clue. One said "Was it "Ratatouille?".
It was passed over to the other side - none of whom knew either. Paxman exploded with indignation of their ignorance. Good for him.

These youngsters are excellent on modern pop music or on the subject they are studying, but ....."Oh, no, it was before my time...."

I was shocked a couple of weeks ago while watching Univ. Challenge, and one team was asked to identify some film scores. The first bit was the iconic zither music (Harry Lime theme) from "The Third Man". No one had a clue. One said "Was it "Ratatouille?".
It was passed over to the other side - none of whom knew either. Paxman exploded with indignation of their ignorance. Good for him.

These youngsters are excellent on modern pop music or on the subject they are studying, but ....."Oh, no, it was before my time...."
Ok boomer

Not me, no. I was once on a TV series called Sports Anorak of the Year hosted by Rory McGrath. When I was persuaded to enter I was told it was like a Sporting Mastermind and that that would be its title. When I got there the truth came out! I ended up progressing through 2 shows and then my 3rd was the semi-final. My topic was the life of Joe Mercer and questions included 'What was the name of the ship Everton used to travel to Europe in their 1938 tour?' I hadn't a clue (but it was in my book!) and was up against a bloke doing Mike Tyson and a MUFC fan doing 'Manchester United Under Alex Ferguson 1986 to 1992' (one question was "What is the name of Ferguson's son who was on Utd's books").

In the final round if you got an answer wrong you'd give your points to one of the other contestants. The Utd man was about 2 points ahead of the Tyson bloke and I was about 6 points behind. I had a 3 point question and as McGrath was asking it I knew there was just about time for my question/answer and then the show would be over. Instead of thinking what the answer was my mind was totally on who I'd want to win - Utd under Fergie or Tyson! The question was asked. I gave my answer. It was wrong and I jumped in to say who'd get the points and then the whistle went. The Utd fan shouted 'Typical City fan" and said a few expletives. We finished the show, but McGrath told us we had to re film the last bit (he made some excuse about technical issues, but it was the expletives and bitterness). I had to get the answer wrong again and then repeat who I'd give the points to (that ensure Tyson won). McGrath said "That's it for another show. The two Manchester lads are going to fight this out in the car park."

Well, who'd have thought that?

Shitehousery of the highest order take a bow Sir, take a bow.

Shitehousery of the highest order take a bow Sir, take a bow.

I would have answered every question as soon as he started asking it.....

Q. What is the...
A. 4,974 I give Tyson 3 points
Q. what.......
A. Ornithology, I give Tyson 3 points and to save time, King Canutes first wife, October 4th 1774 and Lemons mixed with arsenic, has he won yet ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.